AudioTechnica AT20ss and Soundsmith "The Voice"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrlinks

Don't quite understand what is going on here.
I have recently acquired a new JVC 4DD-5 as a temp measure until Lou's demod is available.
I have acquired 4 different AT cartridges and new styli for AT14Sa, AT15Sa, and 2 AT20SLa with SS beryllium styli
for both the 15 and the 20s.
All mounted in individual SME series 3 "improved" black titanium nitrite wands.
Also, a Soundsmith "The Voice" high compliance model rated only to 20KHz.
The AT20s are adequate, however the 30KHz carrier adjustment tone on all 3 setup discs
has audible distortion and visible distortion on a scope in x/y mode.
Just for fun I put the The Voice in my arm tonight not expecting much.
After resetting the tracking force and ant-skate I tried the setup discs.
Much to my surprise the front rear separation was about the same +20db,
however, even more surprising is that the 30KHz carrier test is now clean
both audibly and on the scope (displays a straight line).
Puzzled.
Is the line contact stylus of the Voice solely responsible for this?

Answering my own question.
Turns out that my built for SME phono cable Canare L-2E4-2AL
had too much capacitance for the ATs.
Replaced it with the JVC demod provided cable and all is as it should be.
The inductance of The Voice is probably lower and so was less affected
by the cable capacitance.
Don't have the spec on that so can't provide numbers.

I also purchased one of the NIB 4DD-5 demodulators, and I must say I'm quite impressed, so far. I used the JVC provided cables, and I'm using the JVC 4MD-20X cartridge, and it sounds pretty darn good. I did a fast and dirty set-up, just to make sure that the unit was working, so once I've taken my time with all of the adjustments, I expect it to be even better. What I'm also anxious to find out is how well my other CD-4 cartridges will work with the new unit. I have an AT-14Sa, an AT-12Sa, and also an AT-440ML (not the newer "a" variant.) I had used the 440ML with good results because finding new styli for the AT-14Sa (which I've owned since it was new) was very difficult until recently (JICO makes a very nice replacement.)

This is a good thread to stress the importance of low capacitance cables between the turntable and demodulator. Because, if those ultra sonic siganls get attenuated, the demodulator, no matter how good it is, cannot get enough difference signals to create the four discrete channels.

I'm going to mention this on the thread where those guys are having problems too.

Doug

Back