AVCHD to DTS-HD MA audio in freeware - how?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I know there is a tool that can do this (been told) but cannot find the emails.
So, rather than simply writing back privately, I thought it might be a good plan to start discussions on this format here.
After all, for music we don't need full BD and the media is expensive, and most newer players will play AVCHD discs which is, afaik, a BDMV folder to a DVD+R DL disc.

I have the DTS-HD MAS system, all I need is a way to make the discs.
Can someone in the know put this information up please?

Are there any instructions/freeware for making audio AVCHD discs writable to standard DVD? Also, is it possible to make some sort of hybrid AVCHD / DVD-Audio disc? Some sort of disc on standard DVD that is playable on both BR and standard DVD players?

I have AVCHD discs that contain a 2 hour movie (compressed quality) on a single layer DVD disc.

Are there any instructions/freeware for making audio AVCHD discs writable to standard DVD?

sure - Audiomuxer (free) - you have the choice of either AVCHD or BR format - both will burn onto DVD5 blanks

My Denon plays both AVCHD and BR on DVD5 just fine - some players insist on AVCHD with DVD5 and BR format on a blank BR disc...

Also, is it possible to make some sort of hybrid AVCHD / DVD-Audio disc?

I doubt it - not even sure why you would want this combo? DVD5 blanks are dirt cheap at around 25 cents each

Some sort of disc on standard DVD that is playable on both BR and standard DVD players?

you can use Audiomuxer to make say a DTS dvd that would then play on either a DVD or BR player but not AVCHD to play on regular DVD player

all my music is on DVD5 blanks in BR format as eventually all my players will be BR

AudioMuxer is an awesome eac3to gui and much much more. Supports DTS-HD MA, too (not a DTS encoder though).

I fiddled with PCM tracks on BD5 using a software called "multiAVCHD". It has some interesting features for player compatibility and menu authoring. Not sure if it works with DTS-HD MA though.

I fiddled with PCM tracks on BD5 using a software called "multiAVCHD". It has some interesting features for player compatibility and menu authoring. Not sure if it works with DTS-HD MA though.

I installed MultiAVCHD to use trying to figure out how to convert TiVo HD files (Austin City Limits) to AVCHD to write to DVD-R and play with a Blu-ray player. I couldn't figure out how to get it done and decided the process was way too slow for me to mess with in any event so I just use VideoReDo to convert the files to DVD MPEG-2 and I am just living with standard DVDs of the concerts. I do think we are mixing up terms if using BD5 with AVCHD as I think both refer to methods of writing HD files to standard DVD media. A big difference is AVCHD is officially supported by most Blu-ray players and BD5 is not. My inability to do much of anything worthwhile with MultiAVCHD is probably my fault, I am just beginning to use a PC to make audio and videodiscs and so far, the simplest software programs are the only ones I can use effectively.

multiAVCHD does actually author both AVCHD and BD5/BD9 discs. Even though the latter seldom is officially supported by players, it's part of the blu-ray standard and might work very well. My Sony BDP-S350 plays them all, as long as video specs are within the range of this slightly antiquated player.

BTW, one small advice for the experiments: Careful with your discs' speed, blu-ray spins much faster than DVD so 1x is not a good idea here.

multiAVCHD does actually author both AVCHD and BD5/BD9 discs. Even though the latter seldom is officially supported by players, it's part of the blu-ray standard and might work very well. My Sony BDP-S350 plays them all, as long as video specs are within the range of this slightly antiquated player.

BTW, one small advice for the experiments: Careful with your discs' speed, blu-ray spins much faster than DVD so 1x is not a good idea here.

Since BD5/BD9 is not officially supported by many Blu-ray players, exactly none as far as I know, its unoffical support when it works with a given player is tenuous and possibly broken by firmware updates. Playback of BD5/BD9 probably won't be tested with new updates required to play current Blu-ray releases. An owner of the Panasonic DMP-BD35 reported losing playback at High Def Forum and his discussions with Panasonic of course led to nothing. What should they do when it isn't listed as supported in player documentation? I have read many similar stories about unsupported features disappearing with Samsung and LG players, although I don't think those players ever played BD5/BD9 to begin with. A mistake a few made was to ask someone that owned the player to check to see if a feature or format worked and with a positive answer bought the player and found out it only worked for a short period.

As far as I know, all Panasonic and all Sony Blu-ray players support AVCHD and I can write those files to DVD-R and know I have players with offical support that can play the discs. Unfortunately what I am finding is that other than camcorder discs, it is difficult to create AVCHD. Conversion from TiVo files with current software I have tried is too much trouble for me.

sure - Audiomuxer (free) - you have the choice of either AVCHD or BR format - both will burn onto DVD5 blanks

My Denon plays both AVCHD and BR on DVD5 just fine - some players insist on AVCHD with DVD5 and BR format on a blank BR disc...

I doubt it - not even sure why you would want this combo? DVD5 blanks are dirt cheap at around 25 cents each

you can use Audiomuxer to make say a DTS dvd that would then play on either a DVD or BR player but not AVCHD to play on regular DVD player

all my music is on DVD5 blanks in BR format as eventually all my players will be BR

Thanks for the comprehensive & detailed reply.
Much appreciated.

Since BD5/BD9 is not officially supported by many Blu-ray players, exactly none as far as I know, its unoffical support when it works with a given player is tenuous and possibly broken by firmware updates. Playback of BD5/BD9 probably won't be tested with new updates required to play current Blu-ray releases. An owner of the Panasonic DMP-BD35 reported losing playback at High Def Forum and his discussions with Panasonic of course led to nothing. What should they do when it isn't listed as supported in player documentation? I have read many similar stories about unsupported features disappearing with Samsung and LG players, although I don't think those players ever played BD5/BD9 to begin with. A mistake a few made was to ask someone that owned the player to check to see if a feature or format worked and with a positive answer bought the player and found out it only worked for a short period.

As far as I know, all Panasonic and all Sony Blu-ray players support AVCHD and I can write those files to DVD-R and know I have players with offical support that can play the discs. Unfortunately what I am finding is that other than camcorder discs, it is difficult to create AVCHD. Conversion from TiVo files with current software I have tried is too much trouble for me.

Chris, that's a good and crucial point: In these matters we shouldn't expect too much guarantees, neither for BD5/BD9 nor for AVCHD with HD audio. The latter is actually quite limited when it comes to offically supported formats, see for example this page. We should also bear in mind that one of the main plausible usages of BD5/BD9 and "enhanced" AVCHD is to watch ripped movies on standalone players or PS3. So it's no surprise that certain major manufacturers go against it.

I'd say that for home usage the safest bet is BD-R, in bulk they can be found for little more than 2 €, case included. BD5 and "enhanced" AVCHD are more risky and it might be of interest to have an HTPC as a "safe haven" if standalone player goes bad one day. For commercial purposes I wouldn't bet on any of these formats, as I don't think they will ever be officially supported by the blu-ray licensor.

Back