Blu-Ray Packaging and Menu concerns

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothyemerson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and glad I found it. I did a search but didn't find anything on this subject so thought I’d see what you all reckon about all of the cardboard that is used in packaging in recent years for BDs. Sure, it looks nice but I can’t say I’m a fan for the following reasons:

1. It’s cardboard and so if I apply too much pressure to it from inadvertently nudging it against a shelf or other music packaging, I’m stuck with a dent or a scrape or a tear forever. At least with plastic packaging (CD case/Super Jewel Box/BD case), if I damage it or if it arrives in the post damaged, I can easily replace the plastic case.

2. The glue used on cardboard packaging eventually fails. I’ve had glue on digipacks purchased in the 90’s dry out and no longer hold the plastic tray. This is even a problem with new items (the entire internal cardboard sleeves in my Twin Peaks BD set came unstuck within two days). Glue issues are avoided if plastic packaging is used.

3. What’s with gatefold disc sleeves? It’s not vinyl. For all intents and purposes, it’s a compact disc. Why try and make it look like something it’s not?

4. Ease of access: Cracking open a plastic case and putting the disc in your player can be done with one hand. While the recent Yes BDs are superb, getting the discs out requires two hands and you first have to remove the cardboard gatefold sleeve from the protective clear plastic sleeve, open the gatefold sleeve, slide the paper-enveloped disc out, open the envelope and then slide the disc out before you can even get your hands on it. Minor gripe, but when it’s time to get your prog on, there should be no delay.

5. Plastic cases ensure nothing comes into contact with the disc other than via the edges (that includes your fingers). Less chance of scratching it then.

Whenever I get a new disc that is in cardboard packaging, I tend to remove the disc and store it in a slim plastic CD case, and file the cardboard packaging in a protective clear plastic outer sleeve away in a shoebox in the back of the cabinet. Fussy, I know. If I wasn’t, stolen mp3s would be good enough.

The BDs I’ve purchased from www.2L.no have got the packaging nailed. Standard slim BD case with two trays holding the BD, hybrid SACD and a booklet. It’d be great if other releases adopted this approach to the packaging at least.

Also, menus aren’t as great as they could be. They still seem to be stuck in the whole DVD-era of navigation style. It’d be great if pushing the Subtitle button displayed the lyrics as they do on Rush’s Moving Pictures BD. If you could navigate around whatever is on the BD, so you could get the next song that you want to hear ready to go or read liner notes, without stopping what you’re currently listening too, that’d be a step in the right direction too.

What do you all reckon?

I like silent menus rather hearing some loud music repeating until I make a selection. This goes for movies too. And yes, cardboard is stupid. Reminds me of Warner Home Video and those snap cases they tried packaging DVDs in during the early days of DVD.

I hate cardboard as a container for discs of any kind. Like you said, getting the disc out of cardboard is a PITA. Plus if you end up having to grab the disc between your thumb and forefinger to get it out (which happens on occasion) you feel as if you've committed a capital offense. That is just plain bad. And I'm not crazy about having my disc sliding on cardboard. Frankly I just cannot understand, well it's probably because of money so I can understand, but to me it's just wrong. Lately I've been using old xbox game cases for my discs that come in cardboard but any plastic case would no doubt be fine.

Back