Bob Dylan Hybrid SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Gerhard

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I recently purchased 8 of these including all 6 with surround mixes. Since there doesn't seem to be much discussion of these discs here, I wondered what others think. Having the ability to play these in my car is a big plus for me. I had grown tired of Dylan's vocal style decades ago and took a chance I would want to listen to these and started with Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks and loved them so I purchased 6 more. The only two I have listened to so far with surround mixes are Blood on the Tracks and Another Side of Bob Dylan. My guess is that these didn't sell well and we may not see a superior treatment of these albums in my lifetime.

Chris

I also have all the surround titles and two stereo SACDs. I love em and they are in frequent rotation around my house. Even if your not a huge Dylan fan the multi-channel mixes will draw you in! Click on the search tab above and type in Bob Dylan you will get all kinds of discussion. Enjoy!:sun

I own six of them; four with surround mixes. Looking at them as a group, my feelings are mixed. I’m thrilled with “Blood on the Tracks” and “Blonde on Blonde”, but disappointed over the fact that “Highway 61” and “Desire” are not surround. So being a multichannel nut, I can’t help but feel like I’m missing out on “what might have been” when listening to those two. Meanwhile, I also have the much sparser “Another Side of Bob Dylan”, which was released in surround – but to comparatively little effect; adding to the frustration over those that weren’t. Why that one, but not the ones that would seem to be more adaptable to multichannel? Assume it must have something to do with the source material. Be interested to hear what others think about the mix on “Street Legal”. I haven’t gotten that one yet.

My 2 favorites are "Slow Train Coming" and "Blood on the Tracks". Initially, I think I favored BOTT, but STC might end up being my long-time favorite.

I guess I don't mind listening to "Bringing it all back home" on my system. It doesn't WOW me, but I thought it sounded OK, if I recall correctly. I don't particularly like "Love & Theft" at all. And I keep meaning to fall in love with "Blonde on Blonde", but so far that hasn't happened. It's OK, though.

BTW... I kinda like the digipak's for the Dylan SACD releases. I wouldn't want them for everything, but I liked most of these.

I haven't listened to "Love and Theft" yet. The album was highly rated and I have assumed I would like it and bought it as a blind buy. "Blood on the Tracks" is a great album but my favorite is still "Highway 61 Revisited". No surround was disappointing on that one but I think the SACD stereo is very good.

Chris

bugdaddy said:
Be interested to hear what others think about the mix on “Street Legal”. I haven’t gotten that one yet.

I'm pretty sure "Street Legal" is stereo only.

thanks for clarification on "Street Legal". let me see if I (finally) have this right. there are a total of five in surround?: "Another Side of Bob Dylan","Blonde on Blonde", "Bringing It All Back Home", "Blood on the Tracks" & "Love and Theft"

bugdaddy said:
thanks for clarification on "Street Legal". let me see if I (finally) have this right. there are a total of five in surround?: "Another Side of Bob Dylan","Blonde on Blonde", "Bringing It All Back Home", "Blood on the Tracks" & "Love and Theft"

A total of 6 albums, 7 discs total. Add "Slow Train Coming" to your list.

Chris

I was probably going overboard when I said I didn't like Love and Theft "at all". It has nice enough songs, though, I prefer the earlier stuff. And the surround mix audio fidelity isn't my favorite, but I've heard worse. That said, it is probably my least favorite of the Dylans (that I currently have on SACD -- Blood on the Tracks, Slow Train Coming, Bringing It All Back Home, and Blonde on Blonde, fwiw).

Eugenius said:
I was probably going overboard when I said I didn't like Love and Theft "at all". It has nice enough songs, though, I prefer the earlier stuff. And the surround mix audio fidelity isn't my favorite, but I've heard worse. That said, it is probably my least favorite of the Dylans (that I currently have on SACD -- Blood on the Tracks, Slow Train Coming, Bringing It All Back Home, and Blonde on Blonde, fwiw).
Funny. Love and Theft is my favourite!:)

bugdaddy said:
I own six of them; four with surround mixes. Looking at them as a group, my feelings are mixed. I’m thrilled with “Blood on the Tracks” and “Blonde on Blonde”, but disappointed over the fact that “Highway 61” and “Desire” are not surround.
Seems odd too since Desire came out on an SQ lp, so they already had a mix they could use.

I own all the 5.1 discs and love 'em. Nicely done. And yeah, it IS weird that "Desire," "Nashville Skyline" and "Planet Waves" didn't come out 5.1, since they were all mixed Quad so long ago.

Does anybody have formal confirmation that Sony's dropped the plans for the rest of the catalogue? Seems that last year (with the hoopla about the DVD, etc.) would have been the year to do it. I read that Bootleg Vol 6 was even mixed in surround, but came out standard red book.

I'm certainly beginning to feel what you 70s guys felt as the glory of good surround mixes on decent formats began to slip away...

Back