CD-4 Carts

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingresman

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Just seen a thread here which mentions that the Audio Technicak AT440ML is suitable for CD4 but the spec says it only goes up to 20k (see http://www.at440mla.co.uk/ ).
Has anyone got one of these and can vouch for the CD4ness of it ?
Also if you could list the cartridges you use and how well they attack CD4 that would be really usefull.
Regards.

I have seen that thread also and have thought no way it's going to light the radar,but also I have been told a few cartridges are underated and can work for cd-4.I use a AT331LP with an LC stylus it's rated at 30k,it lights it up very well.

The current version is actually the AT 440MLa -- I don't think the 440ML proper is available anymore. I had messed around with a couple of other cartridges including a vintage Stanton shibata-quad cart, with only moderate success. Bought the 440MLa on the recommendations here and it lights the radar right up on my JVC 4DD5, no problems at all and sounds great to my ears.

I'm sure there are better carts out there for more money, but this unit works well for me. (y)

Mark Z

I have seen that thread also and have thought no way it's going to light the radar,but also I have been told a few cartridges are underated and can work for cd-4.I use a AT331LP with an LC stylus it's rated at 30k,it lights it up very well.

Sometimes manufacturers will underrate "lower" models to differentiate them from more expensive, but not much different products. This is likely especially true with phono cartridges, since many share common parts ... bodies, stylii, etc. What is important for CD-4 playback though, is that you get a fine-line, micro-ridge, micro-line, line-contact, or other Shibata spinoff. Mike.

What Mike says is correct, of course. Also, Audio Technica has stated that they only rate their cartridges to 20K now even if there is response above that.

I can definitely vouch for the 440MLa being excellent for CD-4.

I don't think there would be as many of us saying it works if it didn't.

Lighting the radar is really only part of it. This just means that the circuitry is getting enough 30kHz signal to light the bulb via the circuit. There must also be good enough response in the entire range from 15kHz - 50kHz to enable the audio to be separated from the carrier.

Doug

Not only is the A-T good for CD-4, it is an excellent stereo cart. I've been using it and a
Grado gold for vinyl listening and both are superb for both tasks.

Back