Chicago II SQ original vinyl

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I istened to my British copy of Chicago II, and what I was hearing in the SQ mix was waht I expected. The SQ mix has the low end way down, making it harsher. I could turn uo the UK mix louder w/o it soundig strident. I wonder if this was one of the early SQ mixes and if they wanted to roll off the low end to give the sense of placement more of a direct feel w/ the highs and mids emphasized.

ress4278 said:
I just listened to side 1 of this. Does anyone else find it a fairly unremarkable SQ recording?
Lance

I'm a huge Chicago fan and have been wanting to pick this one up myself. How about the other three sides?

I quite like it in quad.I was lucky enough to pick up a really quiet sq copy and get Tab to convert it using his tate.The most noticeable difference is the guitar solo on 25 or 6 to 4...Basically the faders are off on Terry's guitar track the whole way through , so you hear him playing even while Peter Cetera sings.....worth it for that alone...

ChristopherLees said:
I quite like it in quad.I was lucky enough to pick up a really quiet sq copy and get Tab to convert it using his tate.The most noticeable difference is the guitar solo on 25 or 6 to 4...Basically the faders are off on Terry's guitar track the whole way through , so you hear him playing even while Peter Cetera sings.....worth it for that alone...

Interesting. I had bid for it on eBay before someone got the winning bid so... I'll keep on looking around.

I won a copy of this last week, and got it in the mail today. I'm probably one of the few who doesn't have a proper quad setup, but I enjoy listening to quad albums in stereo, simply for a different "listening experience" than what I've been used to. I've heard Chicago II for over 20 years. I've generally avoided Side 1, and this time was no exception, so I began with Side 2. There were immediate differences in "Wake Up Sunshine", some of Robert Lamm's vocals are from a completely different take, especially the last line. In the stereo mix he sings it's time to wake up girl and face the day ahead. In the quad he sings you make my life sunshine/you got to wake up girl.

Hearing the "Ballet For A Girl In Buchanon" medley, one of my favorite tracks by the band (finding high school versions is an odd hobby of mine), was very cool. Fades and segueways were different, Terry Kath's ad-libs in "Make Me Smile" are different, and the ones you'd expect to hear in "Now More Than Ever" are completely gone. "25 Or 6 To 4", the "Prelude/A.M. Mourning/P.M. Mourning/Memories Of Love" medley, and the entire "It Better End Soon"... I was blown away. The drums in "It Better End Soon" were awesome, and hearing the band answeriing back to Kath during Movement III gave it more of a live feel, and to me made the song more powerful than it already is. Fitting lyrics too, considering the times.

This is a fave album of mine. I have a mint SQ, which was my favorite way to listen until the DVD-A hit. The DVD-A is the ONLY copy I ever heard of this title that didn't sound compressed like a prerecorded tape. I've owned a cassette, 2CD, single CD (entire album), SQ and DVD-A.

I strongly recommend listening to side 1. In the Country is a dud, but Movin' In, the Road, and Poem for the People are great tracks.

Linda

I won a copy of this last week, and got it in the mail today. I'm probably one of the few who doesn't have a proper quad setup, but I enjoy listening to quad albums in stereo, simply for a different "listening experience" than what I've been used to. I've heard Chicago II for over 20 years. I've generally avoided Side 1, and this time was no exception, so I began with Side 2. There were immediate differences in "Wake Up Sunshine", some of Robert Lamm's vocals are from a completely different take, especially the last line. In the stereo mix he sings it's time to wake up girl and face the day ahead. In the quad he sings you make my life sunshine/you got to wake up girl.

Hearing the "Ballet For A Girl In Buchanon" medley, one of my favorite tracks by the band (finding high school versions is an odd hobby of mine), was very cool. Fades and segueways were different, Terry Kath's ad-libs in "Make Me Smile" are different, and the ones you'd expect to hear in "Now More Than Ever" are completely gone. "25 Or 6 To 4", the "Prelude/A.M. Mourning/P.M. Mourning/Memories Of Love" medley, and the entire "It Better End Soon"... I was blown away. The drums in "It Better End Soon" were awesome, and hearing the band answeriing back to Kath during Movement III gave it more of a live feel, and to me made the song more powerful than it already is. Fitting lyrics too, considering the times.

Back