chris ready - take a look at his work

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly 2nd recommending Chris Ready's work. He did a bang-up job on my QRX9001.

Well, I will probably be next, going to send him my QRX9001 to fix QBs restore job. What is the best way to package this beast for shipment?

ups - plastic bag the thing - and then bubble wrap - then box it - then peanuts and a larger box - double boxed - remind chris to keep the boxes - and he will send the thing back the same way. this is the common way.

i use what is left of a memory foam mattress to wrap it and then box it - and i dont double box it.

have chris create an invoice for the work and insure it for that amount - if anything goes wrong - ups - will want verification of cost or value. when shipped to him - keep it cheap - its broken. but when on its way back its worth a lot more and his invoice will substantiate that.

however - if you have a ups store wrap it and box it and ship it - then ups never balks on a claim - they wrapped it - they saw the thing - you set the value - and if it gets smashed - they cant claim poor packaging.

but i have had everything in the world go wrong with every shipper - and this is a new one - check it out - i won a sansui au-9500 amp - had seller send it to chris ready in PA - ups said once it got to philadelphia - they could not make out the address - so they looked up "reid" my last name - found a close address to chris ready - and delivered it with signature confirmation - some dude signed "reed" and got a free fucking amp! no bullshit. i called ups - asked wheres my amp man? and they relayed that to me - i said - well cant i make an insurance claim - i didnt receive it? they said - no - the "shipper" (seller) had to make the call not me - nobody could get the seller to return their calls or emails - so paypal refunded all of my dough - shipping included - the seller got screwed and somebody got a free amp - the brother to mine which was to make a pair for my quad setup with bozak speakers!

now i gotta find another.

w.a.reid

Wow what a story. Thanks for the shipping advice. I'll start getting all the stuff ready and prepare for quad withdrawal. I mean I use this thing for everything, quad records, synth surround, running movies and Tv through it it'll be back to two ear stereo.

I hate to be penurious, but what's the going rate for a rebuild from him? I have an 8001 that could use touching.

I read someone here paid $900 for a 9001 complete rebuild so I would think the 8001 will be similar. I guess no matter what is done there is a lot of labor and disassembly involved.

I just got my QRX-9001 overhauled by Chris last month, and am extremely happy with the work done. It was only a few days ago that I received my new CD4 cartridge and was able to test the CD4 system. Everything worked perfectly with NO adjustments required. Perfect right out of the box. I hand delivered and picked up my receiver, so I cannot provide any shipping tips. Chris did suggest removing the knobs before shipping. Now, I just need to find the time to listen to my music!

Hi, all!
It has been a while since I posted because my quad listening has been reduced due to loud popping/static in right rear speaker due to a problem with my QB restored Sansui 9001. Now that I see someone is doing wonderful work on these, can anyone estimate what you think Chris Ready would charge me to fix what is probably a bad capacitor? All else works fine and I even thought about seeing if a generic local shop could fix it since I have sooooo soooo much invested in this and just didn't ever mean to have it cost so much. Any opinions/guesses? The shipping will be bad enough cost wise so need to be smart here. Thanks for any opinions!
Laura

Laura,

I think the only one who will be able to answer your question is Chris himself. He's great to work with, and very understanding when it comes to wants and needs. He will not try to talk you into anything you don't need done, so I can only guess the cost will be minimal. However, I must warn you that Chris is VERY thorough, and will test everything, so if there are any hidden flaws in your 9001 he will undoubtedly find them. He won't be able to tell you exactly what it will cost until after he checks everything, but you can get an idea by emailing him. It's an investment that will pay you back in many years of bliss.

Laura,

I think the only one who will be able to answer your question is Chris himself. He's great to work with, and very understanding when it comes to wants and needs. He will not try to talk you into anything you don't need done, so I can only guess the cost will be minimal. However, I must warn you that Chris is VERY thorough, and will test everything, so if there are any hidden flaws in your 9001 he will undoubtedly find them. He won't be able to tell you exactly what it will cost until after he checks everything, but you can get an idea by emailing him. It's an investment that will pay you back in many years of bliss.

Thanks, Gregg! I have a feeling this will be the route I take. I appreciate your insight and love that he is meticulous. I only want to do this once (again!)! Thanks again!

6104851137 - call him - he's waiting.

just to let you and anyone else thats interested - i had him do a pretty much complete restore - on a technics 6700x -quad - with the oscilloscope - he did everything - and i mean everything - stuff that i really didnt know what he was talking about - but i do know lights - he did a complete custom job and put all LED lights in every place in the world - i got to chose the colors - and brightness - that kind of stuff just knocks me out - just for fun we put some in the case back by the breather grills - just so it would emit a light from there too - red - like its on fire!!! completely rebuilt the scope board and power board for that - my scope on that thing is better than the marantz 4400 ...stock (he says he can make the marantz one better - but it has a better scope to begin with) - anyways - its on its way back - i paid for shipping to him - and the bill with return shipping is/was $450 bucks - which is no small coin - but i thought i was looking at $750 bucks...easy - he left me with enough dough to send him a fisher 800b - tube receiver - one owner - so...that answers the question about "does he work on tube gear" - he said it was going to sound like "butter" when he was finished. trouble is - i dont know what butter sounds like - but i am assuming - smooth . see that receiver in "off topic" - you will be happy.

w.a.reid

I just sent Chris my Sansui G-4700 Stereo receiver for a thorough check-up/restoration. He just got it a few days ago, and I know he's busy, but I expect when he gets a chance he will let me know what all needs to be done. I've owned the unit since it was new, and it has had lots of use through the years. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with it. When it is finished I will send him my newly acquired QRX-6001 (which sounds beautiful, by the way) for a full restoration, as I want it to stay functional for many more years, and it is 35 years old.

6104851137 - call him - he's waiting.

just to let you and anyone else thats interested - i had him do a pretty much complete restore - on a technics 6700x -quad - with the oscilloscope - he did everything - and i mean everything - stuff that i really didnt know what he was talking about - but i do know lights - he did a complete custom job and put all LED lights in every place in the world - i got to chose the colors - and brightness - that kind of stuff just knocks me out - just for fun we put some in the case back by the breather grills - just so it would emit a light from there too - red - like its on fire!!! completely rebuilt the scope board and power board for that - my scope on that thing is better than the marantz 4400 ...stock (he says he can make the marantz one better - but it has a better scope to begin with) - anyways - its on its way back - i paid for shipping to him - and the bill with return shipping is/was $450 bucks - which is no small coin - but i thought i was looking at $750 bucks...easy - he left me with enough dough to send him a fisher 800b - tube receiver - one owner - so...that answers the question about "does he work on tube gear" - he said it was going to sound like "butter" when he was finished. trouble is - i dont know what butter sounds like - but i am assuming - smooth . see that receiver in "off topic" - you will be happy.

w.a.reid

THANKS!! Somehow missed this. I will call him this week!! I appreciate your help and cannot wait to get this done!
Laura

I just got my Sansui G-4700 stereo receiver back from Chris, and all I can say is WOW! I think that it is better than new: he did a full restoration on the unit including replacing all the capacitors, 11 transistors, 1 power resistor and converting the lamps to LEDs; he recalibrated the FM tuner and built a new heat sink to help keep it cool, and completely cleaned and resoldered everything. I had double boxed the unit and sent it UPS, Chris returned it packaged exactly the same, but returned it FedEx. I am very happy with the work. Sometime this week the QRX-6001 is going to him for the same treatment. Thanks w.a. reid for recommending Chris!

Back