Coming in July - Mr. Big's "Lean Into It" (30th Anniversary Edition) on multichannel hybrid SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up the Mr. Big Lean into It hybrid SACD and as I always do with new physical discs I wanted to rip a copy to my NAS so I have access to the standard CD layer for playback (I unfortunately have never had one of the rare physical players that allow for ripping actual SASC/DSD content) however this is the 1st hybrid SACD that my laptop disc drive can not read the cd layer. Any idea if there is something different about this hybrid SACD vs others?

I just picked up the Mr. Big Lean into It hybrid SACD and as I always do with new physical discs I wanted to rip a copy to my NAS so I have access to the standard CD layer for playback (I unfortunately have never had one of the rare physical players that allow for ripping actual SASC/DSD content) however this is the 1st hybrid SACD that my laptop disc drive can not read the cd layer. Any idea if there is something different about this hybrid SACD vs others?
I just tried loading my Mr. Big Lean Into It sacd into my PC (Windows) and it recognized it.

Last edited:
thanks for responses, yeah I did that and still not picking it up, very strange. Looking at the disc for scratches it's pristine. My reader even reads dual discs with no issues even though they are apparently thicker than normal cds/dvd's and give issues with various readers so not sure what's up with this hybrid sacd disc

Finally got it to read. Every time I powered my laptop on I would check and give it a try just in case and it was finally recognized.

i don't suppose someone has found a way yet to read the DSD layers on SACD's that doesn't involve using specific old players? I would love to rip my SACD's to flac but I never did as I didn't want to purchase one of those older players knowing it would only be used for that and may not even work properly once received as those units are all old thus now used and may not do this specific thing properly anymore.

Finally got it to read. Every time I powered my laptop on I would check and give it a try just in case and it was finally recognized.

i don't suppose someone has found a way yet to read the DSD layers on SACD's that doesn't involve using specific old players? I would love to rip my SACD's to flac but I never did as I didn't want to purchase one of those older players knowing it would only be used for that and may not even work properly once received as those units are all old thus now used and may not do this specific thing properly anymore.
I don't understand your aversion to old players. I picked up a Sony BDP-S5100 for only $50, I use it exclusively to rip SACD's. Such a player should last a very, very long time if only used for ripping!

I don't understand your aversion to old players. I picked up a Sony BDP-S5100 for only $50, I use it exclusively to rip SACD's. Such a player should last a very, very long time if only used for ripping!
Not so much an aversion as it is the necessity in that case of purchasing a piece of hardware which only serves that purpose. Since it also has to be purchased used there is a chance the until does not function properly then I'm out the money so I guess it's more that risk than anything. As this is for a very specific use case, isn't it possible the unit may play discs fine but is unable to be used for the ripping process? However now that I think about it, when I get a new NAS which has the room for ripped movies, I need to purchase an external drive capable of reading 4K discs to allow me to rip my entire movie library, currently my laptop internal Bu-ray drive allows me to rip DVD's and Blu-rays so there is that, the necessity of needing to purchase a device for a single purpose. I suppose I'm more comfortable doing this for movies as these external PC media drives can be purchased new however on the flip side I could get a unit where the firmware has changed thus it can't be used for ripping i.e. the onboard firmware can not be flashed. I suppose though in this scenario I could return the unit

Find a friend/QQ member locally that does have an old player?
I hadn't thought of that although on the Atlantic coast of Canada any such people would be few if perhaps non existent. I don't have any friends with old Blu-ray players or 1st gen PS3's.

Back