comments needed on the Kenwood KR9940

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordfoo

Hi to all.

This is my first post in this forum. I am eyeing a Kenwood KR9940 for acquisition. Any comments on this model?

regards,
Foo

Hmm. They were build 1973-1975 as I remember, so it's possibly got some form of early gain-riding logic built into the SQ decoder, and it's got CD-4 built in too which is good. 50w per channel into 8ohm loads. Plus, it looks very good indeed -one of the more attractive 4-channel recievers. If it's not a silly asking price it could be worth a punt. If it hasn't been restored it'll need at least a new set of caps in the power-supply, and preferably throughout to sing at its best. Not spectacular (except in looks -glowing blue power-meters everywhere which is A Good Thing), but solid for the time I suspect.

Cheers
Scott

Hi Sir Scott,

Thanks for the comment.

My interest in QuaD was lighted up when I recently acquired a QRX9001 in working condition. I am using it now and it sounds fantastic. The 9940 being a TOTL kenwood (it is TOTL isn't it?) just as the Sansui is a TOTL, will the 9940 perform near the 9001's level?

The final price being quoted is 63 USD.

The unit looks good cosmetically. However, when I tested the unit only the left channel was working. I do not have any idea what the problem really is. I saw a repair sticker on the side so its been opened up. Should I get the unit?

In another thrift shop, there's a JVC CD-4 device that's been there for ages. It seems nobody know what it is for. I could probably get it for a song. I don't know what it is for though except that I've seen the label CD-4 in the face panel of my Sansui QRX9001. It looks like a very small amplifer. What does it do?

The JVC you will have seen is a CD-4 demodulator. Since your 9001 already has one, it's probably not worth the effort, unless you want to have a separate setup at some point of course. If it's very cheap, and you have some space, it could well be worth snapping p for possible future use however. They demodulated (surprise! ;-) the rear-channel carrier signals encoded on CD-4 LPs. Nominally, CD-4 was the best format, as it was actually discrete, not matrixed, but the LPs have often suffered over the years through people using the wrong stylus's, which wipe out the delicate rear channel information.

Will the Kenwood perform anything like the 9001? No chance. Even if it was working, which you say it isn't. The Sansui QRX9001 was probably the greatest quad reciever ever made; it emerged right at the death of Quad as a viable mass-market format (if, indeed, if ever was) when they finally had the technology to do it right -the Kenwood dates from a few years earlier. With only 1 or 2 channels working I'd leave well alone to be honest, as it could be almost anything wrong with it. Unless you know -walk. Save your money to lavish on the QRX.

Best
Scott

Thanks Scott for the valuable info.

Remember the repair sticker i mentioned at the side of the amplifier? I went back and inspected it again. it was dated oct. 25, 2005 with a three month waranty. And the address and phone number of the repair shop!!!

I called up the shop. They remembered the unit. Couldnt talk to the actual repairman though. Another guy who released the unit mentioned that they replaced parts of the amp. The unit was running according well when he released it he said. So now i am wondering what happened to the unit since then so that one channel went kaput again. OH well. i will let others take a shot at the unit.

The QRX9001 and the pioneer sx1080

qrx9001_sx1080_b.jpg

I've been using the Kenwood KR-9940 for years. So far I've owned 2 and the latest one I have was restored in 1999. Since that time all I've had to do was re-solder one of the relays a couple years back and since then it's been problem free. Seeing the prices these are going for on E-Bay compared to other hi-end receivers make this a good buy IMO, but, like anything on E-Bay, don't just take it for granted that it'll be a set-up and go deal. Most everything sold there needs some work done on it. Seems they are going for less then $100 though nowdays and I think that's a great price considering what the other hi-end systems are selling for. I have 3 complete quad systems but only use one on a full time basis.

I'm looking at purchasing a KR-9940 but I've never heard one. Does it have an excellent tuner like other Kenwoods of that era? I've read that the sound is not at all airy but like a wall. Any comments from somebody who owns one of these? I have a Pioneer QX-8000a and am looking to try something different. I'm not interested in CD-4 records. Mostly I'll be playing regular LP's and CD's and using the unit to synthsize quad. I have no ideal how well it does this.

Back