Cyndi Lauper - 12 Deadly Cyns (DD 5.1 DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bright Side

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Hey guys! I wanted to leave some quick feedback about this Cyndi Lauper title. I gave it a spin and I'm not so impressed.

"12 Deadly Cyns" originally came out as a VHS tape. For the DVD, a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround mix was created, done by a lad named Mike Fisher, assisted by Roberto Polanco, as the back cover states. The DVD contains 14 songs with short cute clips of her talking, messing around with friends and having fun in-between.

First off, the good: they clearly sat down and mixed this into 5.1, instead of just keeping stereo in the fronts, adding echo in the rears and and calling it 5.1. However, it sounds to me like they didn't go back to the multitracks for this mix. Instead, they upmixed it from stereo. Most of the time, all the music is in the fronts anyway with isolated elements (percussion or so) playing in the rears. They're at low volume so it still "feels" like a stereo recording.

Then, there are points where the rears suddenly jump to life. It mostly happens in the faster numbers, like "Girls just wanna have fun" or "She Bop". For example, you get a sudden sound effect, but I couldn't find an place where it was clearly isolated from the music in the fronts. Any rear action sounds like amplified copies from the front.

What I really liked is the opening jingle of "Girls just wanna have fun", which flies across the room from the front to the back. That was nice. But again, you can easily do this from a stereo source.

Regarding sound quality, it wildly varies. Some songs (especially the newer ones, like the 1994 "Hey Now (Girls just wanna have fun)") sound great, others ("What's going on?") are thin and tinny.

So overall: stereo with occasional stuff jumping at you from the rears. Sound ranges from full/rich to thin/tinny. It's kinda nice, but I won't keep it. I'm fine with the European version of the "12 Deadly Cyns" CD, which also has two more tracks than the DVD: "All Through the Night" and "Come on Home".

Well, that's just what they did, it's an upmix and nothing more. And a Sony title, so it's not alone, there's a Bruce Springsteen DVD collection that's the same way. The videos are fine enough, but the manipulated sound doesn't sit well. But because somebody at the label thinks people want 5.1 for everything little thing on DVD, that's why they do this sort of thing. Which, these days, can be done much better.

ED :)

Had this title for years and years. Just played it in 5.1 for the first time tonight. You know what, I like it. These are some great videos from an amazing artist, and fake or not I'm enjoying the sound. Really loving " I'm Gonna Be Strong" (even though the Blue Angel version is better) This goes for $3 used on Amazon. Why not give it a shot?

Back