Does anyone have Rory Block - Last Fair Deal [SACD]?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etzeppy

This title is a bit obscure and I do not see it listed in the hi-rez polls. I was wondering if anyone here has it and what they think of it. I know a lot of her stuff is solo acoustic, which might not translate very well to surround. I do like some of her other material and I am tempted to pick this one up.

Hi,
I actually have this SACD. It's from Telarc, so I didn't think of it as an obscure title.
But I have to admit that I haven't listened to it yet. It's still shrink-wrapped in my stash of discs I didn't get around to listen to :eek:

I I find the time I'll pop it in later and let you know what I think of it...

Best regards,
Oliver

Hi,
the disc is in my player right now. The sonics are good. The mix is, while generally more focused on the fronts, quite enveloping with parts of the instruments moved back to the rears.
There was one where some of the background singers were coming from behind.

Musically, this is mainly acoustic blues like you would hear from Ry Cooder (with lots of bottleneck... :D), the one with the background choir was a gospel.

All in all I'm glad I got this disc, and the 13 Euros I paid for it was a fair deal indeed!

Best regards,
Oliver

I have it too but will have to pull it out again for a re-listen. I seem to recall a couple of nice guitar parts but that overall the music didn't really grab me.

Mark Z

Thanks for quick review. I think it's worth a shot. I have liked her material in the past. So long as this wasn't a garbage production like some of the Silverline's, I'm in.

Just listened to it again. While there is some good slide work by Rory, some of the vocals were just OK and a few were borderline annoying to my ears. The blues tracks were better than the gospel-y tracks IMHO. The mix is not very surroundy, it is spread out somewhat and as El Guapo says, occasional background signers in the rears. If you enjoy the music and don't expect ping-pong surround, you may like this one. (I think I know where one may be available for trade! :D )

Mark Z

Back