Does HIREZ music always mean multichannel to you?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
petermwilson said:
Hi Ssully,
If i read between the lines of your original post it seems that your not disputing the higher quality sound of the new HIREZ formats,

It's just that human hearing (backedup by your own scientific iterpretation) is incapable of appreciating it past the the RedBook standard of 16/44.

That said your still willing to jump into it with both feet.
So if your going to argue with yourself, Why involve us.

Peter m.

Hmm...let me try again. I'm disputing whether the better technical measurements translate into actual audible difference. I suggest that any 'higher quality sound' you perceive may be due either due to better digital mastering (not the technical qualities of the formats *PER SE*) or due to expectation bias, rather than heightened sampling rates and bit-depths. Better (or even *different*) mastering has *always* been sufficient reason for me to buy a product, and multichannel remixes are certainly another for me, so I'm at least as willing to 'jump into' DVD-A and SACD as I would for new CD remasters. So why are you responding with such hostility?

ssully said:
Hmm...let me try again. I'm disputing whether the better technical measurements translate into actual audible difference. I suggest that any 'higher quality sound' you perceive may be due either due to better digital mastering (not the technical qualities of the formats *PER SE*) or due to expectation bias, rather than heightened sampling rates and bit-depths. Better (or even *different*) mastering has *always* been sufficient reason for me to buy a product, and multichannel remixes are certainly another for me, so I'm at least as willing to 'jump into' DVD-A and SACD as I would for new CD remasters. So why are you responding with such hostility?

Well most of us are in it for the MC capabilities so I guess one way or the other it really doesn't matter. I think most of the MC mixes I have sound fantastic so that is really all that matters to me.

Guy Robinson said:
Not interested.

SSully - me either..

why not start a new thread on this topic so I can save time and not bother reading it...

I get bored to tears when people say there are no differences unless they pass double blind tests..or it's because you want to believe hires is better..

If you honestly can't tell the differences between redbook CD, 24/96 DTS, and 24/96 MLP then there's something amiss with either your hearing or your gear..

That's like saying there's no picture quality difference between VHS and DVD..we just want to believe that DVD is better..

A friend of mine and I compared both versions of Machine Head on my system - we both felt one version was better sonically - our preconcption was that there would be no difference - yet we both liked one version over the other from a SQ standpoint.. I own both versions so have no bias - he picked the one he didn;t own as better and if anything his bias would have been towards the one he owns..

Peter:

I generally won't buy stereo SACD's if I already own the CD..I will though buy a MC hires disc of a CD I own...

so my question was if you meant the same as me - or if you don't buy ANY hires discs for CD's you own..

Okay, this thread is now officially in the yellow zone. What does that mean? It means it is in danger of getting shut down. This is warning number two. There will not be a warning number three. Now, don't make me pull out my banana again!

Cai Campbell said:
Okay, this thread is now officially in the yellow zone. What does that mean? It means it is in danger of getting shut down. This is warning number two. There will not be a warning number three. Now, don't make me pull out my banana again!

Oh, come on Cai. That's bad! I have been using this thread to put myself to sleep for the last few nights. Now what am I going to use?

Hi Bob,
Maybee we should have a category called Bits and Bites which things can be discussed from a scientific perspective

For such a category, I am singularly unqualified and not only disinterested but as Dave said unintersted.

I'm sure we've all heard the overused unattributable quote about art. " I don't know anything about it but I know what I like."

That's where I am. Sure, maybee i'll feel something was off center or too heavy in the surrounds, but thats subjective. I am not going to be arguing the science behind it.

Peter m.

Hi John,
I agree with you about buying a 2ch mix of a cd you already own.
I made that mistake because i didn't read the packaging on Santana's Abraxus and just assumed it was mlti. As it happens I also own the LP.

Peter m.

daved64 said:
Forgot about that...yeah, you might get some extras, maybe a cool video or two.

I hope it would be the same mix!!!

Dave, I did p/u the Beck SACD and listened to about half of it last night.....Fantastic!!! Sounds very different from the only song I think I've ever heard from him..."2 TTables and a microphone"(can't remember the actual title).
Thx for the recommendation. Very good surround mix by Elliot Scheiner. (((It will be interesting to be able to finally compare SACD & DVD-A versions of the same title now that some will soon be coming out in both formats..Incl-Elton John's GBYBR and the Who's "Tommy"))) Not that it really matters....let's just get some good releases out already....and ON THE DATES PROMISED!!!
Tim

Hi Tim,

You bring up an interesting point that John the Depot Dude touched on regarding adding to a collection of 2ch RedBook versions of a disc with a HIREZ 2ch version of the same disc.

Unless the original version is soo bad and the HIREZ version is such an improovement, and it's a Must Have disc, the general music buying public is not liable to invest.

TOMMY SUPERBIT DVD, DD5.1 AND DTS will not be added to in my library by a HIREZ effort because I don't feel that the differences would be significant enough.

In fact I much prefer the dvd version of both West Side Story and A Chorus Line to the sacd mltich versions.

A Chorus Line is even Missing the best song/performance that was on the dvd ""We did it in the GraveYard".

The supposed Brooklyn accents on the sacd of West Side Story are laughable.

On the positive side the music is great as long as you haven't seen the play or the movie.

Peter m.

timw said:
Dave, I did p/u the Beck SACD and listened to about half of it last night.....Fantastic!!! Sounds very different from the only song I think I've ever heard from him..."2 TTables and a microphone"(can't remember the actual title).
Thx for the recommendation. Very good surround mix by Elliot Scheiner. (((It will be interesting to be able to finally compare SACD & DVD-A versions of the same title now that some will soon be coming out in both formats..Incl-Elton John's GBYBR and the Who's "Tommy"))) Not that it really matters....let's just get some good releases out already....and ON THE DATES PROMISED!!!
Tim
Glad you like it. Guy R did the same with me, told to buy it and I would not regret it. It's great, both musically and sonically.

Cai Campbell said:

Yeah Cai, this is getting REALLY stupid. On one hand ssilly asks for empirical data on a friggin' OPINION ... this is the goddamn INTERNET ... there are nothing BUT opinions here!

What the hell do you think this is ssilly, a think tank? Geez, we are a bunch of guys who share a common interest, BUT who do differ in levels of that interest, and in the understanding of that interest. I listen to the damn music, if ssilly wants to turn the listening experience into a damn sociology thesis, then go ahead. Just end this rediculous thread before all of us burst a friggin' vein. :eek: Mike.

Now, now Mike, let's not go pointing fingers. We can all choose to be part of the problem or part of the solution.

Anyway, I think this thread has run its course. Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back