Donovan's Harmonica...the clearer the remaster the shriller it gets...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rango

QQ Supporter
I thought about posting this to the Surround Artists/Engineers/Producers forum, but, it would have been apropo to nothing current and would probably have come across as provocative, rather than humorous; but...for what it's worth:

I was just listening to the Donovan Storyteller SACD and his harmonica on Try For the Sun almost blew my eardrum.

It seems the clearer the remaster gets, the shriller the harmonica gets.

For me it's like watching Alien in 4K and seeing that, what once looked like a tile floor, is clearly a piece of polystyrene being eaten through by hydrochloric acid...

...or, watching the Blu-ray of True Lies and seeing that, clearly the bullet holes on the bathroom-stall doors are decals.

I think sometimes it's okay to tweak things...?...and that to preserve the artist's original vision, it might even be necessary?

For instance: I'm sure Riddley Scott's original vision for the floors of the Nostromo wasn't for them to be made of polystyrene...

...likewise, I'm sure Donovan didn't intend to deafen his listeners with his harmonica... 😊

...I'm worried that if Storyteller gets a Dolby Atmos release it's going to shatter my glassware. 😊

Last edited:
Back