DSOTM Live from 74 - 5.1 version

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Does anyone have this please?
My backup DVD of this craps out on importing Track 4, Front Left, at 96% completed. Result is a missing chunk of Audio.

Desperately need an LPCM copy of this section only if anyone has one?

Glad it's sorted but any more details on the source? It's a new one to me. BBC broadcast in quad?

Graham

It's not a true quad. It's an amateur 5.1 mix made with 3 different sources of the same show.

It's not very good either.

Yeah, it kinda stinks but it's neat to have!

I have a 2 DTS CD set of something someone sent me a few years back
that tried to use multiple sources and creative editing.

It was the Monkees and it was called "Quarters".
Some tracks sounded pretty good actually
but it was an interesting mess on the rest.
Neat to have though.

Anyone else have this or know who did it?

-B

Yeah, it kinda stinks but it's neat to have!

I have a 2 DTS CD set of something someone sent me a few years back
that tried to use multiple sources and creative editing.

It was the Monkees and it was called "Quarters".
Some tracks sounded pretty good actually
but it was an interesting mess on the rest.
Neat to have though.

Anyone else have this or know who did it?

-B
I have the quarters sets. I quite like them except that Zilch is slightly off in its timing from the original.

You can find it here: http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16439&highlight=PF_1974-11-16+DVDA+we+meet+again
It was never intended to reproduce the surround mix from the show. The broadcast mix was different from the live mix of course and was missing a lot of delay and reverb fx and sometimes tape fx and things that were being mixed to the rear channels. The idea was to combine the broadcast + audience to have a more accurate representation of the show with some upfront clean direct sound. This works pretty well actually. It's pretty far from the live surround mix but you can't have everything you know. The big disappointment here is this is a really average performance at best. And only the 2nd set and encore. The first set was the best part of this show IMHO.

I just started working on a much hotter 1975 show. Two recorders master tapes (recorded at 2 different locations) captured at high and pretty high res. I'm hearing actual surround fx from the show in quad!

Jim--this is great!! Thanks!! I agree you can hear a lot more with these sources combined. Hope you can do more!!

I think you may be missing something in your descriptions of multichannel set ups on the computer. I have a Sony VAIO laptop with HDMI out. the soundcard can output up to 7.1 channels into a home theatre system throught HDMI. With PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra, you can play DVD-Audio in high resolution and it will output high resolution to the receiver. I believe this is the only version of PowerDVD that will do this. All the other versions will output in low resolution, even though they might claim otherwise. Try it out.

Jim--this is great!! Thanks!! I agree you can hear a lot more with these sources combined. Hope you can do more!!

I think you may be missing something in your descriptions of multichannel set ups on the computer. I have a Sony VAIO laptop with HDMI out. the soundcard can output up to 7.1 channels into a home theatre system throught HDMI. With PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra, you can play DVD-Audio in high resolution and it will output high resolution to the receiver. I believe this is the only version of PowerDVD that will do this. All the other versions will output in low resolution, even though they might claim otherwise. Try it out.

I think I've found a new hobby actually. Here's the next one: http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19928. And a couple new stereo tracks on this one: http://www.yeeshkul.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20016. I'll have "final master" versions of the surround stuff up... well, hopefully soon.
I'll check out that version of PowerDVD. So far I only found a windows version but I'll just try that if I can't find native Mac (win apps generally run just fine in OSX and I can always launch windows with parallels if that doesn't work). I suspect that HDMI card is proprietary (fitting my "option 3" catagory) but hopefully I'm wrong.

Back