Dylan on DVD-A?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Rutherford

Pitchforkmedia.com had this up today, so figured I'd see what you guys thought:

Dylan Catalog Gets Sonic Upgrade On Reissues
Whaaaaaa? No "Dylan and the Dead"?
Ed Howard reports:
If you've ever listened to a Bob Dylan CD and thought, "Boy, I sure wish I could hear the cracks in his voice a little more clearly," or wished you could be surrounded by five of him all at once, well boy do I have news for you. The shape-changing original folkie, rocker and all-around songwriting genius is getting treated to a massive reissue program, with fifteen of his classic albums being released in the same hybrid CD/Super Audio CD format as last years reissues of the Rolling Stones' ABKCO catalogue. The new CD's can be played with newly remastered sound on normal CD players-- a definite improvement over the hit-or-miss fidelity of the previous CD issues-- but sound even better on SACD players. And you can't download them-- well, yet, anyway.

The reissues were selected for importance and quality, so the '60s and '70s are understandably the most represented, but there are also albums from throughout Dylan's career in the first batch of remasters. This means that not only can you hear early folk and '60s rock classics with dazzling clarity, but you get Dylan going electric, shouting about Jesus and mumbling about growing old to boot. The only baffling inclusion is Dylan's latest album, Love and Theft, from 2001; do we really need to remaster a two-year-old record?

Five of the albums (Another Side of Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home, Blood on the Tracks, Slow Train Coming and Love and Theft) will also be released in the 5.1 surround sound DVD Audio format, which is the snazziest digital sound format for audiophile geeks this week.

All fifteen SACD albums, plus the 5.1 remasters, are available in stores this month. The albums:

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (1963)
Another Side of Bob Dylan (1964)
Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
Highway 61 Revisited (1965)
Blonde on Blonde (1966)
John Wesley Harding (1967)
Nashville Skyline (1969)
Planet Waves (1974)
Blood on the Tracks (1975)
Desire (1976)
Street Legal (1978)
Slow Train Coming (1978)
Infidels (1983)
Oh Mercy (1989)
Love and Theft (2001)

Yeah, the reviewer must not know that SACD can also do multichannel. Good link, though. Goes to show how many people in the industry have no clue about these new formats.

Welcome to the group, Shaun!

Hi,
The head of the music dept. at my local BB just recieved a Dillon HIREZ 2ch sampler which (due to lack of equipment) he's bringing over to play.

Don't know what's on it but it's also hybrid.

Peter m.

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty big goof, too, but I don't know....why mention just five are coming out DVD-A?

Shaun

Shaun Rutherford said:
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty big goof, too, but I don't know....why mention just five are coming out DVD-A?

Shaun
I think only 5 are 5.1.

Back