Filipino CD4s? Help...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmez

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hi folks,

Still very much a quad newbie but have been piling up quad LPs of all types for a year or more as I'm slowly getting my system dialed in. Just ran across something totally new to me, and found nothing in the QQ archives so let's see if there's a untapped info source out there.

In a record shop over the weekend I stumbled onto four weird CD-4s marked "Made in the Philippines" and I believe the label was "Vitor" (something like Victor but definitely different.) All unusual stuff, I think one was Hawaiian music, another was "surf" or something like that (definitely more Hawaiian than say Dick Dale), maybe some Japanese folk songs and I don't remember the other. Looked like decent quality, but the Filipino pressings threw me for a loop and I was suspicious they might not actually be quad. Not bargain basement prices either, so I passed. Wondering if I screwed up? I'm sure they're still sitting there... can't be common...

Anybody have an idea what those might be?

Mark Z (callmez)

Hi folks,

Still very much a quad newbie but have been piling up quad LPs of all types for a year or more as I'm slowly getting my system dialed in. Just ran across something totally new to me, and found nothing in the QQ archives so let's see if there's a untapped info source out there.

In a record shop over the weekend I stumbled onto four weird CD-4s marked "Made in the Philippines" and I believe the label was "Vitor" (something like Victor but definitely different.) All unusual stuff, I think one was Hawaiian music, another was "surf" or something like that (definitely more Hawaiian than say Dick Dale), maybe some Japanese folk songs and I don't remember the other. Looked like decent quality, but the Filipino pressings threw me for a loop and I was suspicious they might not actually be quad. Not bargain basement prices either, so I passed. Wondering if I screwed up? I'm sure they're still sitting there... can't be common...

Anybody have an idea what those might be?

Mark Z (callmez)

Mark, the Philippines and Taiwan issued very bad pressings of CD-4 Japanese Lps. Not sure if they were boots. Looks like it, but not worth owning as the vinyl used is terrible, bad news for CD-4.

Against all odds, China did release some CD4 from JVC stampers, with a halfway decent vinyl. Nick should have a couple of them.

Mark, the Philippines and Taiwan issued very bad pressings of CD-4 Japanese Lps. Not sure if they were boots. Looks like it, but not worth owning as the vinyl used is terrible, bad news for CD-4.

I remember in the late 60's and early 70's, there were stereo records sold in Taiwan that could be bought for about 35 cents each. They were good for two or three playings, and most people were taping them on the first play. The vinyl, usually colored, was pretty bad. They were obviously bootlegs, but at that price, no one cared.

Updating an old thread...

Having run most of my local and semi-local LP haunts out of interesting and realistically priced quad stuff, I found myself back at the shop with these Filipino CD-4s last weekend. While used, the vinyl was pretty thick and didn't seem to have obvious manufacturing flaws or abuse, so I bought the three I saw (maybe I missed the 4th). They are:

Vicor VI 1007 (CD4B-5024B) Blue Hawaiians Plus Strings - Beyond the Reef
Vicor VI 2033 (CD4W-7032) Jack De Mello Hawaiian All Stars - Hawaiian Sound in CD-4
Vicor VI 2038 (CD4W-7023) Glenn Miller Orchestra - Glenn Miller in CD-4 Vol. 1

Vicor was apparently the Philippine branch of Japan's Victor Corp. (JVC) and so these were pressed from Japanese masters (the numbers in parentheses are the JVC stock numbers). The vinyl quality may not be very good, but all three seem to play OK on my CD-4 setup -- no problem with the carrier and they sound fine. The latter two are pretty good, in fact -- and the first is probably the most unusual "with strings" LP I have, which brings it up to a 2 on a 10 scale...

Oh, they do have one advantage over a Japanese pressing -- the text is printed in English! :D

Mark Z.

Against all odds, China did release some CD4 from JVC stampers, with a halfway decent vinyl. Nick should have a couple of them.

I found a Chinese SQ album at a thrift store on the Ta Chin Men label. There is no other English writing except for the name of the label, so I don't know who the artist is, but it's a woman singing pop songs (in Chinese). When I decoded the album in Adobe Audition, I found that the rears contained not ambiance per se, but pure artificial reverb.

J. D.

I found a Chinese SQ album at a thrift store on the Ta Chin Men label. There is no other English writing except for the name of the label, so I don't know who the artist is, but it's a woman singing pop songs (in Chinese). When I decoded the album in Adobe Audition, I found that the rears contained not ambiance per se, but pure artificial reverb.

J. D.

Any dates? Can you post a photo of it?

Back