• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: dvd-audio Eagles Hotel California (multichannel only)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupboy

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
This is an early release with only multichannel, no stereo PPCM. Not a scratch on it. No fingerprints. Booklet looks perfect. Case has a few cracks, nothing that affects operation. It locks shut -- actually a bit hard to unlock. Hinges are good.

$2 shipping or free shipping if the payment doesn't cost me a fee. This is USA shipping.

Only $75. Cheap, compared to a popular auction site where the last one I checked went for $88 plus shipping.

I bought that DVD-A the day it was released - and it had the stereo PPCM. How/where did you get a copy without the 2-channel MLP mix on it? And when/why was it produced? Mine has the 2 channel PPCM, 5.1 channel PPCM, 5.1 DTS and 5.1 AC-3. Isn't that the 'normal' release?

This was a used one from FYE. I have one like yours also that I purchased way back then. I'd guess it was made at a different factory. It does look like a different pressing. Not a bootleg though. Not an import either.

This was a used one from FYE. I have one like yours also that I purchased way back then. I'd guess it was made at a different factory. It does look like a different pressing. Not a bootleg though. Not an import either.

I'm sure this is a totally dumb question, but what is "FYE"? I've never heard of it or seen that reference (name?) before.

How weird though that there would be a DVD-A release of "Hotel..." without the 2 channel PPCM track. I wonder if it was a multichannel demo meant as a giveaway or something, but ended up being sold retail? That's how I got my first-pressing copy of "Queen: ANATO" - Best Buy got some of the first 'reviewer' copies and put them on the shelf for $9.95, so I couldn't resist buying it - and boy, what an awful mess that first pressing/mix was - I've never heard such horrible nose gating used as can be heard on the opening of "...Rhapsody" - and entire instruments are missing on "...Rhapsody", too... I'm so glad Brian May stepped in and forced a re-master.

"For Your Entertainment" Movie and music store commonly found in malls.

http://www.fye.com/

Oh, OK - I've never heard of them - in Albuquerque, NM we had Suncoast, Sam Goody, The Warehouse, Media Play, Musicland, etc... as well as the wonderful Video Concepts way back in the day. Looking at FYE's website and entering the zip code for my dads house in Albuquerque where I grew up, I see that Sam Goody's is part of FYE and considered an FYE store.

I loved visiting my sisters in Southern California (Torrance & Hermosa Beach) every summer because I could go to Tower Records, Licorice Pizza Records, Ken Cranes LaserDisc store (which had the largest selection of LaserDisc's on the planet). After spending 3 months out there every year, I always ended up shipping several boxes of LD's and records home that I couldn't take on the plane with me. And when I got my first CD player (a Hitachi DA-1000) for Christmas 1983, I went crazy buying CD's too. (I still have the very first CD I ever bought and its receipt - Billy Joel's The Nylon Curtain for $25.95, bought in August 1983 - yes, I didn't have a player yet!) I can't even imaging spending $26 for a CD now.

I had never heard of Camelot Music until I met my partner, who lived in St. Louis at the time and when I'd fly out and visit him we'd go LaserDisc shopping at Camelot - they always had discs for incredibly low prices - I remember getting the digital sound PCM re-pressing LaserDisc of "Queen: Greatest Flix" for $9.95 - it was brand new and had an SRP of $24.95 in Pioneer Video's latest catalog. And I got the digital sound re-pressing of the 8-inch 'Music Video' LD release of Madonna's first 4 videos - it was a disc that most LD collectors at the time didn't believe existed - Pioneer always showed it as "out of stock" in their main warehouse and no dealer could order it - nor were back-orders accepted. But there it was at Camelot for 10 bucks - and it had a $19.95 list to boot!

At Suncoast, which was never known for its low prices, I got the Star Wars Special Edition AC-3 LaserDisc box set for $29.95... and It had a retail price of $124.98. I thought it was a mis-print because the discs had just been released to the home market, but Suncoast had 6 copies and all were priced the same - so I bought a copy. As I was being run up, I asked about the price and the sales guy told me they got them from a bank auction from a distributor that got foreclosed upon. I don't know why Suncoast decided to 'pass along the savings' since that wasn't really their method of doing business. But I was glad they did - I only wish now that eBay had been huge then - it was around, but I barely knew about it. Not that the set would be worth anything now, but it could have fetched quite good money in the early 2000's!

Oh, OK - I've never heard of them - in Albuquerque, NM we had Suncoast, Sam Goody, The Warehouse, Media Play, Musicland, etc... as well as the wonderful Video Concepts way back in the day. Looking at FYE's website and entering the zip code for my dads house in Albuquerque where I grew up, I see that Sam Goody's is part of FYE and considered an FYE store.

Trans World Entertainment owns F.Y.E., Sam Goody's, Suncoast, Musicland and several other defunct or soon to be defunct music sellers. I like the stores and hate to see them go but they are dropping like flies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fye#f.y.e.

Trans World Entertainment owns F.Y.E., Sam Goody's, Suncoast, Musicland and several other defunct or soon to be defunct music sellers. I like the stores and hate to see them go but they are dropping like flies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fye#f.y.e.

While I haven't been to a Suncoast in many years, the last few times I was it seemed like they were not really a record/video store anymore, but more a place to buy silly Michael Myers and Freddy Kruger dolls and "action scenes" - along with fake movie memorabilia like clapper boards and stuff. And all of it way over priced. I don't even know where to find a Sam Goody or Musicland in Kansas City or St. Joseph, MO - if they are even in our markets. I do all of my buying online - except for the occasional impulse purchase at Best Buy or Target/Walmart (I can't resist the $7 and $10 Blu-ray deals Target always seems to have). When I've been into the Hastings in St. Joe (and I used to love Hastings), I'm always put off by the poor selection and high prices as compared to what I can get online. So I end up buying online. Netflix and Redbox have totally changed our movie renting habits - I can't even remember the last time I rented a movie at an store with a physical location. I think back to the hours and hours me and my family would spend at Del Amo mall in Torrance, CA or Coronado Mall in Albuquerque, and I can't imagine how we spent so much time there - I'd be bored in a few minutes now. How things change...

Around New England, there was a chain called Record World that was in malls and shopping centers. They got swallowed up by TWE and became FYE's as well. Most, like Chris has stated, are out of business, or on the way out. They were notorious for charging list or more than list for CDs and such.

Around New England, there was a chain called Record World that was in malls and shopping centers. They got swallowed up by TWE and became FYE's as well. Most, like Chris has stated, are out of business, or on the way out. They were notorious for charging list or more than list for CDs and such.

Except for the few LaserDisc exceptions I listed, Suncoast always seemed to charge full list for their LD's, CD's and DVD's (plus VHS/Beta tapes). I've never been able to understand how they stayed in business for so long with that pricing model. Even before the widespread use of the internet, it only took a single visit to Best Buy or Media Play to see how over priced Suncoast was.

I shudder to think there are people out there with huge music and movie collections they paid Suncoast full retail for!

Back