Hello!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatofcar

Hi everyone, I'm so glad to be here. I've been a lifelong music lover (I'm a middle school band director by trade), but after getting out of the vinyl scene six or seven years ago because of the endless equipment upgrade loop and constant fear of accidentally damaging records, I went all in on digital/streaming. That all changed about a month ago when I discovered Blu Ray Audio, in particular Steven Wilson's Yes albums. When I first heard Close to the Edge I was blown away the 5.1 mix and knew there was no going back.

Next I discovered the world of multichannel SACDs, and have been taking advantage of their relative low price compared to pop releases. I've found that the format especially shines with vocal jazz, thanks to the excellent Concord Jazz Sampler, volume 2.

All this is to say I'm so happy to have found this community to help keep abreast of new releases. I already have an Apple TV 4k on order to take advantage of the Atmos mixes (though I haven't taken the plunge on an Atmost receiver yet).

Happy listening! :)

Hi everyone, I'm so glad to be here. I've been a lifelong music lover (I'm a middle school band director by trade), but after getting out of the vinyl scene six or seven years ago because of the endless equipment upgrade loop and constant fear of accidentally damaging records, I went all in on digital/streaming. That all changed about a month ago when I discovered Blu Ray Audio, in particular Steven Wilson's Yes albums. When I first heard Close to the Edge I was blown away the 5.1 mix and knew there was no going back.

Next I discovered the world of multichannel SACDs, and have been taking advantage of their relative low price compared to pop releases. I've found that the format especially shines with vocal jazz, thanks to the excellent Concord Jazz Sampler, volume 2.

All this is to say I'm so happy to have found this community to help keep abreast of new releases. I already have an Apple TV 4k on order to take advantage of the Atmos mixes (though I haven't taken the plunge on an Atmost receiver yet).

Happy listening! :)
Happy to have you here, BOC. (But surely your handle on this forum should be Sensurround, not Boatofcar...?)

Welcome to QQ @Boatofcar !!! Lots of friendly folks here, happy to provide info on this hobby that we are all so passionate about.

One label you should definitely check out is Dutton Vocalion. They are an SACD label out of the UK who specialize in reissuing old quadraphonic (4.0) titles on SACD. They do a fantastic job. My favorite title from them is an Earth Wind & Fire SACD that has the quad mixes of two of their classic albums, Spirit & That's the Way of the World. They have a wide range of artists from The Guess Who to Ray Conniff!

One bargain that I just stumbled on is Elton John's Madman Across the Water. Around 20 years ago several of Elton's classic albums were issues on 5.1 SACD. The mixes are excellent. Unfortunately they're all out of print now, but I just noticed that Import CDs still has the Madman SACD in stock for a very reasonable $8.44. (Madman was also just reissued on 5.1 blu-ray, but you have to buy a box set to get it).

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Welcome to QQ @Boatofcar !!! Lots of friendly folks here, happy to provide info on this hobby that we are all so passionate about.

One label you should definitely check out is Dutton Vocalion. They are an SACD label out of the UK who specialize in reissuing old quadraphonic (4.0) titles on SACD. They do a fantastic job. My favorite title from them is an Earth Wind & Fire SACD that has the quad mixes of two of their classic albums, Spirit & That's the Way of the World. They have a wide range of artists from The Guess Who to Ray Conniff!

One bargain that I just stumbled on is Elton John's Madman Across the Water. Around 20 years ago several of Elton's classic albums were issues on 5.1 SACD. The mixes are excellent. Unfortunately they're all out of print now, but I just noticed that Import CDs still has the Madman SACD in stock for a very reasonable $8.44. (Madman was also just reissued on 5.1 blu-ray, but you have to but a box set to get it).

Happy hunting!
Amazon US has Elton John debut and Tumbleweed Connection on SACD for less than $20 each.

That all changed about a month ago when I discovered Blu Ray Audio, in particular Steven Wilson's Yes albums. When I first heard Close to the Edge I was blown away the 5.1 mix and knew there was no going back.
They're issued on DVD rather than Blu-Ray, but the 5.1 mixes he's done of the Jethro Tull back catalog are also amazing. Thick As A Brick, Benefit, A, Stormwatch, and This Was are still available.

SuperDeluxeEdition has been issuing affordable Blu-rays for surround sound music recently, but I'm sure you've seen that. Drag City has a DVD-Audio of The Letting Go by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy still available for 16 dollars, a surround disc I highly recommend.
Maybe now would be a good time to shill...I've got a 16 dollar SACD right here....🦍

One bargain that I just stumbled on is Elton John's Madman Across the Water. Around 20 years ago several of Elton's classic albums were issues on 5.1 SACD. The mixes are excellent. Unfortunately they're all out of print now, but I just noticed that Import CDs still has the Madman SACD in stock for a very reasonable $8.44. (Madman was also just reissued on 5.1 blu-ray, but you have to buy a box set to get it).

Happy hunting!
Thank you! Dutton Vocalion was one of the first places I visited. Here's my current order with them.

1678373992407.png

Back