I found a beautiful way to combine JVC and Sansui for a wonderful QS Experience

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deandallen

Signal Hill, CA, USA on a hill above the City of L
While I tinker with my Sansui QRS7001(s) trying to get one of them to work at 100% (thanks again for the advice), I've been enjoying CD-4 through my JVC 4VR-5406 and/or 4VR-5456X receivers using either a JVC L50 4 channel turntable with JVC 4 channel cartridge - or - equally nice Sansui 1080 4 channel turntable with Pickering discreet cartridge, and it sounds, to me, about the same as what came through my Sansui's. CD-4 sounds very good.

But, while the built-in JVC Matrix decoders did a pretty good job with SQ and QS decoding, neither JVC seemed to act as a synthesizer for non-encoded music. It seemed more like, either all 4 channels played roughly the same signal, or there may be some slight Phase Matrixing at work between front and rear speakers. Not very special, or satisfying. There was never what I would call real front-rear channel separation on 2 channel recorded music.

And the more I listened, the more I wondered about a Sansui QS-1 Synthesizer I bought during my initial excited plunge into anything described as 4 channel (and was affordable) about a year ago.
I had never hooked up the QS-1, partly because I didn't realize a need for it. I bought it for my Sansui G-3500, which ended up in my bathroom, and 4 channel would be wasted in such a small space.

Today, out of curiosity, I hooked a good quality Cassette deck up to the "In" connectors on the QS-1, and ran the QS-1, front and rear outputs back into the JVC through the "AUX-in" connectors, front and rear. Once I figured out how to throw the switches, all I could do was sit back with my mouth hanging open at what came from the JVC.
:51banana:

The QS-1 was synthesizing the 2-channel music into real QS 4-channel, and the JVC, set on QS-decoder was separating the music into 4 distinct channels. Truly, I think it sounds very close to discreet. It works on either JVC. I also have a Sansui CD-4 outboard demod, but since the CD-4 built-in to the JVC sounds so good, I'm not sure if there'd be any improvement.
I just wanted to share this, as it surprised me, and I can finally feel justified in the purchase of the QS-1. I think it really pays to experiment (and waste a little $ here and there) :D
Dean

Back