Ideal Format for Quad Downloads?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played into both from an Oppo 103, from BD (the lack of Center channel causes the Sony to default to stereo)
I assume that you are feeding the Sony via HDMI, the problem would be with the Sony. I've never noticed any problem, with the Oppo 103 playing files or discs via the analogue outputs. I'm so glad that I don't rely on HDMI for audio. What you are describing should never happen but many manufactures think of only 2.0, 5.1, maybe 7.1 and who cares about anything else!

The problem with the immersion quad mixes are due to them being lossless pcm as opposed to dts hd master audio, my sony is the same and these are the only quad mixes i’ve had problems with, you can play the quads from the dvd but obviously its not as good as the lossless versions, when you hear how good the mixes are it just annoys you even more though

Why settle for matrix when discrete is readily available?

- Who is "settling"? I prefer matrix. I always have.

- My favorite medium is the phonograph record. And CD-4 left a vary bad taste in my mouth. Discrete doesn't work on records.

- The matrix recording plays on anything that can play the format - no exceptions. With discrete, you are never sure.

- Discrete is more expensive. Special media are required. Multiple special players are needed.

- With discrete, you have to have the correct player for the kind of discrete on the medium. And then you have to diddle with the player, the software, and everything else to get it to work.

- With discrete, you always have the cogging effect when sounds are panned front-back. I noticed it every time I heard discrete (reel tape, CD-4, 5.1, and 7.1). Hugh Robjohns, in his article "Surround Sound Explained" called this effect, "puddles of sound at the speakers." At least two matrix systems solve the problem.

- They keep changing the standards, causing upgrades. Matrix has not changed in many years.

- Lossless vs lossy? As long as I can't hear the difference, why worry about it?

Last edited:
Back