Independece Day - Your Patriotic Surround Favorites

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fdrennen

I am looking through my LP library for Independence Day music for my listening. I am listening to Copland's Old American Songs on CBS M42140
It is NOT a Matrix Surround by any means however my QS decoder adds some more roundness to the sound. What do you think would be some good listening LP's Or CD's. I'm sure I have some of them.

"Mancini Salutes Sousa" CD-4 LP would be appropriate. Another more recent title is Erich Kunzel - "Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture" SACD.

Any of Charles Ives' stuff. There;s usually so much going on, some of it might get flung into the surrounds from sheer jostling ;>

My favority 'patriotic' track is Copland's 'A Lincoln Portrait', narrated by Adlai Stevenson, circa 1965 with Ormandy and the Philly. It's out on a 1-disc Sony Copland collection. Never fails to choke me up when it gets to the Gettysburg Address part.

What does the Gettysburg address have to do with Independence Day? Seems it was spoken while Lincoln's troops were crushing the independence of sovereign states. Down South we celebrate Independence day, but it's got nothing to do with Lincoln. Sorry, but it's true. Happy Independence Day!

The Quadfather

My favority 'patriotic' track is Copland's 'A Lincoln Portrait', narrated by Adlai Stevenson, circa 1965 with Ormandy and the Philly. It's out on a 1-disc Sony Copland collection. Never fails to choke me up when it gets to the Gettysburg Address part.[/QUOTE]

The Quadfather said:
What does the Gettysburg address have to do with Independence Day? Seems it was spoken while Lincoln's troops were crushing the independence of sovereign states. Down South we celebrate Independence day, but it's got nothing to do with Lincoln. Sorry, but it's true. Happy Independence Day!

The Quadfather

My favority 'patriotic' track is Copland's 'A Lincoln Portrait', narrated by Adlai Stevenson, circa 1965 with Ormandy and the Philly. It's out on a 1-disc Sony Copland collection. Never fails to choke me up when it gets to the Gettysburg Address part.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all the suggestions I'm sorry that I opened a political hotbed
it was NOT my intention. In this time of war I think it would be more aproproate for us as AMERICANS to put aside regional differences and "that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom" no more politics.

By the way one of my favorites Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture. Mercury SR90054. As well as Randahl thompson's testament of freedom, and charles Ives Variations on America -Virgil Fox, and his 4th Symphony- Columbia.

Charles Ives Variations on America -Virgil Fox, and his 4th Symphony- Columbia.[/QUOTE]
As I checked through my library I found I had Ives Symphony #4 RCA Red Seal ARD1-0589 CD4 that I purchased a a thrift shop last winter for this occasion as Well as Fennell's Marching On Ives is on the turntable now.

fdrennen said:
Thank you for all the suggestions I'm sorry that I opened a political hotbed
it was NOT my intention. In this time of war I think it would be more aproproate for us as AMERICANS to put aside regional differences and "that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom" no more politics.

Exactly...'and government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Those beautiful lines from the Gettysburg Address apply to all Americans, including those who, now that almost 140 years have passed since the end of the Civil War, maybe need to *get over it already*. Sheesh.

By the way one of my favorites Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture.

You're not alone...that's played at the National Mall every year on the 4th.

I'm not trying to start the War Between the States over again. The South was not trying to destroy the US in that war, we were just trying to leave it. I support the US government in the current war. The leaders of the Southern Confederacy revered George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the other founding fathers as I do. In fact, if the South had won it's bid for independence, both nations would have celebrated the fourth of July and would have pointed to the same Revolutionary heroes as their own. I also believe that Robert Lee would have been the second president of the CSA and he would have done away with slavery, because he did not like it. He did not fight for it. He fought for Virginia. I also believe that the two countries would have been good friends as the British are with the U.S. now. Though it's kinda funny, they view our revolution as a "temper tantrum". However you feel about the Gettysburg address, it's still not part of Independence day, which is tied to the Revolutionary War, not the War Between the States. That is all I was trying to point out.
I am a Civil War buff, that is one of my other advocations, along with Ham Radio and Railroading. Quad was my first one. When one studies the War, one tends to form an opinion about which side they would have been on. However, when you were raised in the South, all your ancestors fought for the South, it's hard not to be on the side of the South, especially when you learn the truth in regard to the causes of the war. (Hint: it wasn't all about slavery) I know Civil War buffs that are just as yankee as Abe Lincoln himself, who choose the South when they get into the nitty gritty of it and learn the truth about that war. Actually, one cannot really understand the U.S. and how it came to be the way it is without having a good understanding of the War Between the States. Such an understanding cannot be found in public schools. I recently joined the Sons of Confederate Veterans. We defend the honor and the memory of the Confederacy, which is constantly under attack from the likes of the NAACP, in spite of the fact that many blacks fought for the South as slaves and freedmen. I also view it as a great way to battle "political correctness", which is anathema to true freedom. Although I have flown Confederate Flags on my home on apropriate days, I currently have a U.S. flag out there and it is at half mast. Today I will honor the day by watching "The Patriot" in Surround Sound. Happy Independence Day weekend to all!

The Quadfather

ssully said:
Exactly...'and government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from the earth." Those beautiful lines from the Gettysburg Address apply to all Americans, including those who, now that almost 140 years have passed since the end of the Civil War, maybe need to *get over it already*. Sheesh.

You're not alone...that's played at the National Mall every year on the 4th.

However you feel about the Gettysburg address, it's still not part of Independence day, which is tied to the Revolutionary War, not the War Between the States. That is all I was trying to point out.

Neither are Sousa nor Tchaikovsky.

One can know 'the truth' about the causes of the civil war and still be 'on the side of' the North. If that weren't the case , then all knowledgeble historians would be 'on the side of' the South (hint: they aren't). Unless, of course, you define 'the truth' as: whatever the pro-South faction believes. Personally, I know there was blame to go around and that economic as well as social factors played into its causes; it also seems to me that the South has done pretty well both politically and economically since then, as a part of the *United States* of America...even though it shamefully led the fight against universal civil rights for a century after losing the war.

Hey, that's a suggestion I should have made for July 4: Neil Young's 'Alabama'. Maybe next year.

Although the 4th of July is a celebration of America's declaration of independence, I don't think it is necessary to limit musical selections for the celebration to those strictly about the event. I believe that any music that induces patriotic feelings to be more than appropriate. Part of our hard-won independence includes freedom of thought and expression, so any aspect of our history as a nation that makes you want to wave your flag, including what flag that might be, is okay in my book. As for the music, let it be a soundtrack for your independent thought and patriotic feelings. As long as it moves or stirs an individual, who are we to decide whether it is fitting for Independence Day celebration?

Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On? (DVD-A)

Heavy Stuff

JonUrban said:
Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On? (DVD-A)

Heavy Stuff
I never thought of that thinking r&B Ray Charles America! and Jimmy Hendrix- Star Spangled Banner

I wouldn't try to tell anyone what to play for any ocaision. I understand that not all Civil War buffs choose the side of the South, or there wouldn't be a "Sons of Union Veterans" organization. In fact, these organizations sprang from organizations formed by the war veterans themselves. The Union vets often met with Confederate vets after the war and were on friendly terms. Today the two "Sons of" organizations do the same. It is just as easy to get fanatical about the War Between the States as it is to get that way about quad. But this is not a Civil War website, so I will sound retreat at this time. By the way, "Dixie" was recorded in quad by Elvis Presley on the Aloha from Hawaii album. As far as I know, it's the only quad version of the Southern anthem there is. If anyone knows otherwise, I would like to know of it.

The Quadfather

fdrennen said:
I never thought of that thinking r&B Ray Charles America! and Jimmy Hendrix- Star Spangled Banner

Back