Is the bass in the Chicago II mix to high??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davcole

First let me say I love what they've done with this DVD-A! The have basically performed a miracle as this album has never sounded this good on any format before! I love the mix and feel that it really works for the album.

Having said that, I feel that the bass/bass drum mix of it is too high!! Honestly, Daniel Seraphine's kick drum is really coming through uncomfortably loud. It's really prominent on Poem for the people and 25 or 6 to 4 to the point it makes those two songs almost unlistenable!!

I'm wondering what are your feelings on this mix? Anyone else here agree with me?

David

It is heavy. At some points it sounds almost like some of the pedal notes on some of my pipe organ discs. However, I like it. There was another thread when it first came out that I posted to,

quote:
I think I have figured out the issue with Chicago II. It's the bass. It doesn't seem to be equilized quite right. In order to tame it and still have adequate bass I had to set all my speakers to large so no extra bass would be sent to the subwoofer and decrease the subwoofer a few notches below what it usually is. It still has some boomy sections even at that. Other than that everything else sounds fantastic. I have never heard Chicago this good.

Then later I posted:
Okay I have read all the posts since my last one and I have now, as of 5 minutes ago. listened to the entire disc. The bass is very good with the adjustments. It's nice to hear notes approaching that of the bottom end of a pipe organ on a Rock disc. I still have a problem with this disc though. The mix from "Fancy Colours" to the end seems different than the first half. More open, natural and warmer. There are sections that sound as good as anything else that I have on DVD-A. This is definately a keeper but I am not sure why there appears to be this difference. Maybe through time.............

I like it now actually.

Hi
FINALLY, there's some others with problems with this disc.
I had even exchanged mine at BestBuy where I got it.

I found back to front audio dropoffs, and other weird things that didn't seem to make sense (strictly in the mltich mix).

the 2ch is 192/24 and is one of the few (Linda Ronstadt's comes to mind) that go all the way in the 2ch. So, what do you think, is it possible that these discs are deffective or is it the mix??

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi
FINALLY, there's some others with problems with this disc.
I had even exchanged mine at BestBuy where I got it.

I found back to front audio dropoffs, and other weird things that didn't seem to make sense (strictly in the mltich mix).

the 2ch is 192/24 and is one of the few (Linda Ronstadt's comes to mind) that go all the way in the 2ch. So, what do you think, is it possible that these discs are deffective or is it the mix??

Peter m.

I have only played the MLP MC on this disc.
I have not noticed any dropouts. I did notice that the latter half of the disc sounds better than the first half. I guess this corresponds to the 2 LP's and possibly 2 different tapes maybe one being in better condition than the other. The bass also fades away to non-existence and then comes back full force. Is this what you are referring to as drop-outs?

got the disc yesterday... while it's listed as 192/24, the display on my Rp82 is showing it as 96/24

meanwhile, I would hardly call the bass overpowering - in fact, it's a really lovely mix, in keeping with many of my best discs. Too bad it doesn't look like CTA (Chigago I) is on the cards...

Hi,
You didn't mention it but when you said the panny was showing 96/24 were you referring to mltich because it's the 2ch that's got the 192.

Peter m.

should have been more clear,

I don't see anywhere on the menu where you can select audio rate. I'm just hitting the audio button on the remote.

my choices are 5.1 96/24 and 2.0 96/24 in DVD-A mode.

I could be wrong, but there aren't any 192/24 5.1 mixes anyhoo... :)

Back