Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the line under duration is the one for 5.1 without Mew's mastering. It is complete with the final "yeah" intact on only the 5.1.

Thanks John, :)

I really appreciate the fast reply. So I have the "corrected" disc?

I thought the fix was only about various glitches, but also did it remove post mastering(compression) to leave only SW's original remix w/flat transfer?

Thanks John, :)

I really appreciate the fast reply. So I have the "corrected" disc?

I thought the fix was only about various glitches, but also did it remove post mastering(compression) to leave only SW's original remix w/flat transfer?
Yes, you have the corrected disc. Only the 5.1 was corrected. The original mix and remixed stereo are the same, they are missing the final "yeah". The reason only the 5.1 was replaced was because of distortion in parts.

Cheers!

Yes, you have the corrected disc. Only the 5.1 was corrected. The original mix and remixed stereo are the same, they are missing the final "yeah". The reason only the 5.1 was replaced was because of distortion in parts.

Cheers!
Distortion? The mastering on the original disc was all but unlistenable.

Distortion? The mastering on the original disc was all but unlistenable.
Agree. Caught me being too kind. ;) Let's say, complaints about the worst parts got attention and were the cause for the 5.1 replacement. Ian Anderson noted.

The full context is definitely not known yet, but here's a quote someone found from Jakko J in a recent Classic Rock magazine piece:
I'm also about to mix some Jethro Tull bits from the upcoming SFTW box set

My guess is that his involvement will be similar to the "Minstrel" set, mixing live material and other bonus things while SW handles at least the main album.

Had to check wikipedia. SFTW is Songs From The Wood. If I buy any of these it will be HH.

Had to check wikipedia. SFTW is Songs From The Wood. If I buy any of these it will be HH.

Both will be amazing in surround, but for slightly different reasons.
"Songs from the Wood" has better material overall, but it has that cheesy and dated string keyboard sound that David Palmer first used when he "officially" became a member of Jethro Tull (as opposed to just being an orchestral arranger for them before that.)
"Heavy Horses" is slightly weaker in terms of material, but it does have a real string ensemble, and I can't wait to hear what SW will do with that breaking it out into surround sound. :)

Which begs the question, I suppose----how far will the JT reissue series go? Does it stop after the "folk trilogy" ends with "Stormwatch"? Does it go all the way through "J-Tull Dot Com"? Somewhere in between?

Which begs the question, I suppose----how far will the JT reissue series go? Does it stop after the "folk trilogy" ends with "Stormwatch"? Does it go all the way through "J-Tull Dot Com"? Somewhere in between?

AFAIK, there are no plans to continue this reissue series past "Stormwatch". At the very least, I think that's where Steven Wilson's involvement will end.
Now, will someone like Jakko or another person continue to remix Jethro Tull albums after that? Maybe, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

I'm not that up on all the news. Was it announced that they would go up through "Stormwatch"? Or is that just an educated guess as a logical stopping point? Obviously the catalog gets very hit and miss after that. I'd probably jump off there. If not before. Frankly, I'm still on the fence about whether to buy "Too Old To Rock n Rock"

I just ordered "Warchild". I will definately get "Minstral" and SFTW. probably HH and Stormwatch just to fill out the set I suppose, and those are albums I really should revisit. But they never really grabbed me at the time

I'm not that up on all the news. Was it announced that they would go up through "Stormwatch"? Or is that just an educated guess as a logical stopping point?

I'm pretty sure at least Ian (and maybe SW too) has said a few times that after the release of the "Stand Up" remix, they will continue on and finish up the remaining 70s albums going up to and including "Stormwatch", but they have never said that the series will continue on after that.
One interesting note is that a while back, SW said his favorite JTull song was "Dun Ringill" off of "Stormwatch", so I see no reason for them to stop before that one. :)

That makes sense. I personally would like a "Broadsword and the Beast" set, but I hold out no realistic expectations of such.

Re: SWs favorite track being "Dun Ringill".... He would have been about 11/12 years old when that album was released. Same age that I was for "Thick As A Brick". Makes sense...

I hope HH will include live footage from or for Live Bursting Out.

The only professional live footage I know about from the "Heavy Horses" tour is the footage from the 1978 Madison Square Garden show.
I have a feeling that the "Heavy Horses" set will probably have the Madison Square Garden show as the extra CD & DVD.
"Bursting Out" could potentially be its own set.

The only professional live footage I know about from the "Heavy Horses" tour is the footage from the 1978 Madison Square Garden show.
I have a feeling that the "Heavy Horses" set will probably have the Madison Square Garden show as the extra CD & DVD.

But the Madison Square Gardens show has been available for years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jethro-Tul...462800467&sr=8-1&keywords=jethro+tull+Madison

I would only want them to include this if 5.1 was a possibility.

But the Madison Square Gardens show has been available for years:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jethro-Tul...462800467&sr=8-1&keywords=jethro+tull+Madison

I would only want them to include this if 5.1 was a possibility.

Well it was mixed in 5.1 for the 2009 DVD, although if I recall, it was not a very discrete mix at all. I suppose someone like Jakko could remix it to make it more 'surround-friendly'. I'm just not sure if there's anything else (besides studio outtakes) that they could include in the 'HH' set while also keeping it contained to the 4-disc set format that has now become their standard.

Well it was mixed in 5.1 for the 2009 DVD, although if I recall, it was not a very discrete mix at all. I suppose someone like Jakko could remix it to make it more 'surround-friendly'. I'm just not sure if there's anything else (besides studio outtakes) that they could include in the 'HH' set while also keeping it contained to the 4-disc set format that has now become their standard.

Agreed, I suppose what I meant was proper, discrete, surround 5.1 :D

"Bursting Out" on its own would awesome IMO. It was my understanding through an article I read when it came out that it was a television broadcast in France or Italy or some other European country. I may have misread that but it is what I have believed since it's release.

Back