Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Bursting Out" on its own would awesome IMO. It was my understanding through an article I read when it came out that it was a television broadcast in France or Italy or some other European country. I may have misread that but it is what I have believed since it's release.

It was a live television broadcast though I don't know the specifics of where the show was broadcast to.

It was a live television broadcast though I don't know the specifics of where the show was broadcast to.

No, I think there's 2 separate concerts - The Bursting Out concert, recorded for the live album, and the Madison Square Gardens one. This latter MSG one was the TV live broadcast (the first of its kind I believe), and this was eventually released as Live At Madison Square Gardens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Madison_Square_Garden_1978

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursting_Out

No, I think there's 2 separate concerts - The Bursting Out concert, recorded for the live album, and the Madison Square Gardens one. This latter MSG one was the TV live broadcast (the first of its kind I believe), and this was eventually released as Live At Madison Square Gardens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_Madison_Square_Garden_1978

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bursting_Out

You're right. I was misreading what Pink Floyd was saying.
And "Bursting Out" is from several live performances (to answer Francois' question)

Manage to get most of the Jethro Tull's 5.1 albums:

IMG_9675web_zpsmrxnycwl.jpg

But Thick as a Brick seems to be hard to get for a "normal" price, no luck yet.

I love these 5.1 mixes of those great albums.

Manage to get most of the Jethro Tull's 5.1 albums:

But Thick as a Brick seems to be hard to get for a "normal" price, no luck yet.

I love these 5.1 mixes of those great albums.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, just because I don't have any inside info on this, but I do have a strong feeling that "Thick as a Brick" will be reissued again sometime next year since the last release from EMI has been OOP for several years. Reissuing it would give Warner Music (who now owns Chrysalis Records) the chance to make some money off a deluxe edition of the album.
Will anything be really different about a new reissue compared to the 2012 release? Maybe, maybe not. The main thing that could change would be that the new reissue could have both the stereo & surround remixes as 'flat transfers'.
(The 2012 corrected disc only has the 5.1 mix as a flat transfer, whereas the stereo remix was still the mastered version.)

Take what I say with a grain of salt, just because I don't have any inside info on this, but I do have a strong feeling that "Thick as a Brick" will be reissued again sometime next year since the last release from EMI has been OOP for several years. Reissuing it would give Warner Music (who now owns Chrysalis Records) the chance to make some money off a deluxe edition of the album.
Will anything be really different about a new reissue compared to the 2012 release? Maybe, maybe not. The main thing that could change would be that the new reissue could have both the stereo & surround remixes as 'flat transfers'.
(The 2012 corrected disc only has the 5.1 mix as a flat transfer, whereas the stereo remix was still the mastered version.)

I hope you are right :)

I believe this will happen as well. Another difference I believe will happen will be the spine as every other hardbook has the Chrysalis logo at the top whereas TAAB, doesn't. :p

I believe this will happen as well. Another difference I believe will happen will be the spine as every other hardbook has the Chrysalis logo at the top whereas TAAB, doesn't. :p

Hope so, I'd love another copy of TAAB, even if just as a backup (one of the finest albums ever by anyone imho.. masterpiece.. and we got it in 5.1 by Steven Wilson.. wow..).

I'm somewhat stoked that Steven is going to work on Tull's first discs "THIS WAS " .:D(y)

So I predict we will see "THIS WAS" and "SONGS FROM THE WOOD" in 2017 in no particular order . I like both, but want the initial Tull disc somewhat more as I'm curiuos to see what Steven (and aint he just grand btw) :sun. -can do with those tapes from 1968 !!

So Ryan, predits another THICK AS A BRICK will sometime in the near, and these two I predict, although the latter are somewhat a safer bet for 2017 I think anyway.

Regardless, we will have to repost in the Jan 2017 predictions. And Ryan, who is much more optomistic than previously, I have to say (y)

(y)

well I certainly hope his stance on the reissue of Thick comes true as it would seem some on QQ , missed out on this purchase originally.
These fans are important .

No one should miss out on a good/great Tullean experience in surround.

I guess I just don't understand why some are so stoked about a new reissue (with surround sound) of "This Was".
Off the top of my head, I really can't think of any great surround mixes I have ever heard that was mixed from a multi-track tape that had less than 8 tracks on it.
Plus, while the material on "This Was" is not bad, it is certainly not anywhere near the caliber of albums like "Songs from the Wood" and "Heavy Horses" (and probably "Stormwatch" too.)
At least with "Stand Up" and "Benefit", not only were these 8-track recordings, but the music is also substantially better on these two albums than what we find on "This Was". The only 'benefit' I see to a new reissue of "This Was" is for completeness' sake, and that's not really a very strong argument IMHO…

All I ask is that they not reissue "This Was" before "Songs from the Wood". They should at least have the latter album come out first in 2017 as I think it is much more deserving of an elaborate reissue (and surround sound mix) than the former is. (All of the above is IMHO of course…) ;)

Back