Jethro Tull 5.1 (“Bursting Out” box set with Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes out in June 2024!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I the only one that thinks the flute solo in Locomotive Breath, in the 2011 5.1 mix, is too damn quiet? Has that been "fixed" for the 2016 Adapted release?

Am I the only one that thinks the flute solo in Locomotive Breath, in the 2011 5.1 mix, is too damn quiet? Has that been "fixed" for the 2016 Adapted release?
Anyone? I guess this must be quite a popular release, after all. To clarify: if the flute solo was more "present" I might consider buying the new release, even just for it.

I'm really surprised that no one has complained that the only 96/24 tracks are in stereo. All the 5.1 remixes are in DD/DTS! NOT good enough! WTH?

Every release from Jethro Tull brings up the same discussion.
Very boring!
Don't buy it, if DTS is not good enough for you.

Well of course I'm going to buy it, because it's better than what's already available and the only surround mix. That doesn't mean a complaint is out of line. Fact is, practically every other surround remixes being released these days are in DSD, Blu-ray or DVD-A so I'm really surprised why Tull should be any different. If the SW stereo remixed tracks are in 96/24, why on earth couldn't the others be the same?

Well of course I'm going to buy it, because it's better than what's already available and the only surround mix. That doesn't mean a complaint is out of line. Fact is, practically every other surround remixes being released these days are in DSD, Blu-ray or DVD-A so I'm really surprised why Tull should be any different. If the SW stereo remixed tracks are in 96/24, why on earth couldn't the others be the same?

Perhaps, because Tull use their money to expand their editions with a lot
of extra stuff.
We get really value for money!

I'm really surprised that no one has complained that the only 96/24 tracks are in stereo. All the 5.1 remixes are in DD/DTS! NOT good enough! WTH?

I just ripped the 5.1 DTS streams from Aqualung, Benefit, and Thick As A Brick last night, and they were all 96/24. Is Songs From The Wood going to be different?

The fact that the stereo audio is lossless while the surround audio is lossy on these Jethro Tull releases is a valid complaint, but like Nico has already mentioned, these DVDs offer a LOT of content. Compare these JT DVDs to the more disappointing DVD-V disc releases from Steve Hackett. Those SH DVDs offer nothing in the way of extra content.

Trust me, I'm the biggest proponent of lossless over lossy, but since these JT DVDs have so much content, I have come to accept things as they are.
If they want to start offering Blu-Ray, awesome, but if they do not, I'll still buy the DVDs all the same.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but since these JT DVDs have so much content, I have come to accept things as they are.

As I will do. The price is excellent for what we're getting so I can't complain very hard. I'm glad to hear the MC tracks are in DTS 96/24, but that is different than the "DD/DTS 5.1" that is displayed in the track listings. They should have made a point of saying "DTS 96/24" just like they did on the stereo tracks.

On the other hand, it occurred to me that they may be offering it in DD/DTS rather than DSD or MLP so they can be enjoyed on any DVD player, instead of requiring a universal player.

The flute solo is too qiuet compared to the original or new stereo mix?
As many here I have several editions of Aqualung.

I've compared these:

DCC Compact Classics stereo (1997)
Flute solo is heard strongly on the left channel. There's no bass mixed in the left channel, this contributes to making the flute stand out.

25th Anniversary stereo (1998)
Pretty similar. Flute strong on the left, with no bass mixed.

40th Anniversary stereo (2011)
All instruments are mixed, to varying degree, in both channels. As a result flute solo stands out less.

40th Anniversary Steven Wilson's 5.1 Mix (2011)
Flute is mixed pretty much only on the center channel. L and R carry it at enormously diminished volume, RL and RR have just a barely audible echo of it. The result on my setup, is that the flute solo gets lost significantly between guitars, drums and bass. Listening to just the center channel is a nice way of hearing all details of Ian's playing, though. :)

40th Anniversary Original Quad Mix(2011)
Flute is mixed on the rear channels. Front channels have just a faint echo, at best. The effect might not be pleasing for everyone, but surely the flute solo is not "lost".

And this is pretty much it. Can anybody chime in to give some info if the Adapted edition changes the above in any way?

swCredits1.jpg
SWcredits.jpg
swb.jpg
sticker.jpg

Awesome, awesome! Another GEM that I will soon own. :):)

Likewise: pre~ordered my copy today from AmazonUS. Classic Tull :banana:

Maybe one fine day, ALL the TULL SW 5.1 remixes will be released on a couple of UHD 4K audio only discs in 96/24. Wouldn't that be extra special, Gene?(y):):cool:

Back