Joni's Both Side's Now thoughts?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shark42

Just bought today the DVD of the doc from Eagle Rock (LOVE those guys!) that played on PBS. Got me thinking about her only album thusfar on any hirez format.

I've got the CD, and it's hardly my fav. However, if any of you crazy people own the disc, and can extol its virtues or faults, I'd be happy to take your opinions on whether I should buy even this mediocre album just cuz, well, she's Joni! :)

ps. I do have a burn of Court and Spark, no doubt thanks to some of the hard work from members of this community. Are there any other m/c vintage mixes of her work?

pps. I WANT "BLUE" ON DVD-A NOW! heh.

I have the CD, and even thought I am a big Joni fan, I can't bring myself to buy this DVD-A. I just can't.

I feel the same way about Paul Simon's "You're the One". I have the CD, and no way am I going to get the DVD-A. It would never get played.

:-jon

heh, I respectfully (but totally) disagree with you on the Paul Simon. Not only is it a DVD-A I play constantly, but I think it's an absolutely incredible album, full of haunting melodies and strong lyrics (OK, "Old" is a bit silly, but kinda fun!)

I get your point, but comparing a "greatest hits" done symphonically to a new and original work is a bit harsh, don't you think? :)

Quite honestly, I think you should give the disc another go (Paul Simon, that is... heh)

Now, the Joni's gonna still be crap, but it might sound a bit better in nicely done surround.

Well I do have the DVD-A - unfortunately I am such a HiRez junky that I buy just about everything.
Although as we all agree the album is certainly not stellar, I was quite impressed with the surround mix. the most startling thing about it is the centre placement of the vocal. With a good centre channel, Joni sounds like she is in the room.
They also did a tremendous job in creating a depth of space on the orchestra that seems to go back for miles. All in all not my fave by a long shot but can be most enjoyable with the lights dimmed and a nice glass of red.
/\/\

Shark,

You are killing me! :D Here I am, trying to be fiscally responsible, and now I am going to have to run out and get these two DVD-A's.

Maybe I did not give the PS album enough airtime. I like all of his stuff, I just did not connect with this one for some reason.

As for Joni, she is truely great, but she is SO annoying when it comes to her old work. She almost takes the attitude of - "Well, the public loves my old stuff, but they never listen to my new stuff, so screw them, I am never going to sing my old stuff again."

You know what I mean?

I kind of lose her after "Miles of Aisles", athough I have all of her releases since them and actually like some of them a lot.

SO, in the interest of M/C, I will get these two next time i see them at a good price. I mean, hey, I stupidly bought the WB Looney Tunes disc, so these HAVE to be better then that one!

(Not to mention all of the loser Q-LPs I bought in the past)

I bought this album when it first came out, when there were very few DVD'A's available. I say that because I tried a lot of stuff I'd never heard before and wanted to give it a try.

I like it. It is an introspective album and the MC mix is nice, and subtle. If you like Multi-channel as much as I do and if you like Joni Mitchell it's worth the money. It's one I play a lot when I just want to listen.

re: Paul Simon Your the One, yeah, you ALL should go buy it. :) A really complicated album, some amazing soaring moments, truly the work of a mature artist. I really put it up there with Rhythm of the Saints as a fantastic record - no Graceland, but it's got shades of Hearts and Bones in a good way, without any obvious filler. The bass on the dvd-a alone makes it work a purchase, amazingly warm and live sounding.

re: Both Sides Now, damn, guess I gotta buy it, huh? hehe... With regards to her not doing "old" stuff, she often hides behind her painterly background, telling the tale that VanGogh was never shouted out in a concert situation to paint Starry Night over and over again. I think Monet's waterlilies or Cézane's Mont St. Victoire paintings might be a counter argument, as they painted them throughout their lives, each time different. So be it, it's her carreer.

However, the Both Sides now disc (and the other two that seem to be in the same orchestral vein) seem to be much more "project" discs than musically interesting. I mean, she went from folk to jazz to rock to light classical, yet this one seems the most forced to me. Dunno.

The line above about the CC, however, got to me. Gotta work the Deftech out somehow, no? What with my newly purchased Pet Sounds explicitly telling me it's not needed for surround... heh.

shark42 said:
With regards to her not doing "old" stuff, she often hides behind her painterly background, telling the tale that VanGogh was never shouted out in a concert situation to paint Starry Night over and over again.

Yeah, I've heard her say that very thing. It still is annoying to me. I mean, I give her credit for standing by her convictions, but that's about it.

I mean, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Crosby +/- Stills +/- Nash +/- Young, the Eagles, Elton, Gordon Lightfoot, etc, etc, etc continue to give their fans the "old stuff" as well as the new stuff.

I remember many times where Joni gets practiaclly booed off the stage because she insists on singing something like "Dog Eat Dog" instead of a familiar tune like"Free Man in Paris", or even LP cuts from Blue or For the Roses. From the "Isle of White" concerts to Farm Aid and more, she is a stubbron old broad. God love her! :D

Give me her first six LPs in DVD-A, and I am there!!! :banana:

Back