Kansas - There's No Place Like Home - Blu-Ray on Nov 23rd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmay75

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi everyone,

Heard about this on the classic rock station today and just checked it on Amazon to confirm.

The DVD is already available. Here's the $19.99 BD pre-order link at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Theres-Know-P...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1257062270&sr=8-2

50 piece orchestra, cameos by Steve Morse and great reviews regarding the video and sound.

Here's the track listing:

Howling at the moon
Belexes
Point of no return
Song for America
On the other side
Musicatto
Ghosts/Rainmaker
Nobody's home
Hold on
Cheyenne anthem
Icarus II
Icarus: Born on wings of steel
Miracles out of nowhere
The Wall
Fight fire with fire
Dust in the wind
Carry on wayward son
Bonus Track: Down the road

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

• 61jN1HztxNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    61jN1HztxNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 223
I ordered the bluray of this a couple of days ago and I found out that it does not have DTS HD MA as one of the audio formats. Some others at AVS Forum have said the sound is still very good on the PCM surround option which I hope is lossless.

Watched this one last night for the second time. 5.1 PCM stream via HDMI is quite good - standard live concert mix. The band's performance holds up pretty well during their 35th show filmed at Washburn University in Topeka, Kansas. It also includes some great Steve Morse fretwork on a few tunes (including some violin work on Dust In The Wind). The PQ is good and the camerwork is OK if just a bit on the busy side. They also employ the local college symphony which is mostly unobtrusive and adds some pleasant touches here and there.

Includes faithful renditions of all the hits as noted in the first post. Recommended for fans and other like myself who count "Carry On My Wayward Son" and "Dust In The Wind" as guilty pleasures.

I got this one for Christmas. The menu screens and the concert itself are visually stunning. The mix is standard concert fare. If you're a Kansas fan you will not be disappointed. Like us, the members of the band are getting older, but they still hit all the notes and played tight. The audio is 5.1 PCM and sounds great, crystal clear. It was recorded well.

On a side note; I saw Peter Tosh, Kansas, and the Rolling Stones at Cleveland Municipal Stadium (no longer there) in 1977. Peter Tosh was very good and got the crowd motivated but Kansas was THE performance of the day. I remember they had all new equipment and sounded awesome in that huge stadium...... The Stones on the other hand, showed up an hour and a half late and came on stage totally messed up. Keith was screwing up his chord changes and timing and Mick was stumbling and slurring the words. I kid you not, they played for 55 minutes and left. There was almost a riot. The Stones have redeemed themselves in my book since then, but that was definitely a day I wont forget.

Like I said the concert, video and sound quality on "There's No Place Like Home" is top notch but the mix left me wanting. With a 50 piece orchestra, the potential was there to do so much more. IMHO Elliot Scheiner needs to mix more concert videos. I still think the "Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007" has the best mix of any concert video that I have heard so far.

Dennis

I look forward to receiving this bluray. I did manage to see the HDNet presentation of this but it does not have as many songs as the bluray as far as I know. Thanks for the reviews from everyone. I also ordered the cd, "Two For the Show." I heard it is quite good.

With all the Kansas talk today, I decided to listen to the "There's Know Place Like Home' blu-ray. It has pretty great video quality and the audio is pretty good too. Good fidelity, deep punchy bass, although it is a typical live concert with the band mostly up front with ambience in the rears. It also has them playing at home in Kansas at Washburn University with the Washburn University Orchestra performing with them. The orchestra is never too overbearing, but used to enhance the bands performance and it's very nicely balanced. It has 5.1LPCM audio.

It was out of print for many years, but I just looked on Amazon and they have it in stock right now for $25: https://www.amazon.com/Theres-Place...YI/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

81n-srhdxOL._SX522_.jpg

Back