King Crimson in October?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Shafer

I noticed that Music Direct in Chicago is stating that In the Court of the Crimson King is being released in October on SACD. Does anyone have any information about this? Is Music Direct reputable? Any information would be helpful.
Bob

As a Crimson devotee, I would welcome the the entire catalog; alas this is probably the same placebo Virgin import listing that Amazon.com had a few months ago on the old discussion board. Nothing came of it.

I suspect we'll see most KC titles on DVD-A or SACD from Discipline except for the ones licensed to Virgin in recent times time. (Thrak, Earthbound and USA).

Bob Shafer said:
I noticed that Music Direct in Chicago is stating that In the Court of the Crimson King is being released in October on SACD. Does anyone have any information about this? Is Music Direct reputable? Any information would be helpful.
Bob

The King Crimson SACD from Virgin UK has been pending for some time now. The good news is that the other Virgin UK SACDs that were listed along with that one (Best of Roxy Music, Adiemus' Sounds of Sanctuary, The Piano Soundtrack, The Mission Soundtrack, etc.) are now available.

So it's likely we'll see the King Crimson SACD in the near future I'd think.

The rights to the primary KC albums (Court, Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, LTIA, SABB, Red, Discipline, Beat, TOAPP, etc) are owned and issued by Discipline Records at Robert Fripp's discretion.

Some latter day releases (USA, Earthbound and Thrak re-issue) were licensed to Virgin for release. If Discipline cannot issue it's own SACD releases, then another agreement with Virgin is possible.

I've not seen any announcements of this kind posted anywhere as yet.

bmoura said:
The King Crimson SACD from Virgin UK has been pending for some time now. The good news is that the other Virgin UK SACDs that were listed along with that one (Best of Roxy Music, Adiemus' Sounds of Sanctuary, The Piano Soundtrack, The Mission Soundtrack, etc.) are now available.

So it's likely we'll see the King Crimson SACD in the near future I'd think.

As with the other releases mentioned, one is to assume that this will not be a multichannel release. Pity. "In The Court...." would have been great in 5.1.

It hasn't happened yet. If left up to Virgin, a stereo SACD is most likely. Whereas if Discipline issues the KC albums in high resolution there is a chance of some 5.1 mixes.

The original masters for ITCOTCK were stolen from the tape cupboards only a short time after the album was recorded in 1969. Fripp has had to work with lesser quality tapes (including a stereo master with a flaw in the right channel that wasn't corrected until new tools were available in the 1989 Tony Arnold/Fripp remasters).

Not sure what, if any, multi-tracks remain to be worked with for that classic album....

Back