Livingston Taylor "Ink" - Chesky SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
SACD253.jpg

Well, I happen to be a big Livingston Taylor fan. I have met him and seen him many times, and for those of you who only know him as "James Taylor's little brother", you are missing out on a great artist and performer. Even if you have never heard a note of his music, you should seek him out in concert. You will come out smiling and very glad that you went.

That being said, this album was originally created to showcase the Chesky audiophile CD line. As such, we have Liv here singing "familiar" songs that the average Joe would know. There are a few originals that Liv re-recorded for this release, but in my opinion they are no substitute for the original recordings on his studio albums. As far as the other titles go (the covers), I personally could do without Liv singing most of these, mainly because I know that the man is far too talented a songwriter to be singing these "standards". UGH!

Aside from "Fly Away", which is a great tune on it's own, the other non-Liv penned tunes are "just alright with me".

So, you now know that this is my least favorite of Liv's albums, and just my luck, Chesky has released this CD (which was also available as a DAD) as a multichannel SACD!! :eek:

Well, I could not find this disc anywhere, so I ordered it from Elusive Disc. I fired it up and played a bit of the tunes I liked, then dragged it upstairs to view the wav files.

I am sad to report that this is basically an ambience release, with a .1 LFE track. There is absolutely nothing in the center channel, and the rears merely echo the fronts at a lower amplitude with what sounds like a bit of delay or "space".

The effect, although pleasing, is rather disappointing. Even if they threw in a solo guitar or SOMETHING in the rears, I would have been pleased, but no.

Again, it is a very clear and nice sounding presentation. It does sound like he is in the room with you, and this album is not a big, over-produced thing where there would be a lot of room for the rears to shine. It is just a bit disappointing to a quad freak like me. :smokin

Those who like the ambience sound will be thrilled, however, as I said it is a great SOUNDING recording.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough over an SACD that most of you will never hear.

Later

:-jon

JonUrban said:
SACD253.jpg

Well, I happen to be a big Livingston Taylor fan. I have met him and seen him many times, and for those of you who only know him as "James Taylor's little brother", you are missing out on a great artist and performer. Even if you have never heard a note of his music, you should seek him out in concert. You will come out smiling and very glad that you went.

That being said, this album was originally created to showcase the Chesky audiophile CD line. As such, we have Liv here singing "familiar" songs that the average Joe would know. There are a few originals that Liv re-recorded for this release, but in my opinion they are no substitute for the original recordings on his studio albums. As far as the other titles go (the covers), I personally could do without Liv singing most of these, mainly because I know that the man is far too talented a songwriter to be singing these "standards". UGH!

Aside from "Fly Away", which is a great tune on it's own, the other non-Liv penned tunes are "just alright with me".

So, you now know that this is my least favorite of Liv's albums, and just my luck, Chesky has released this CD (which was also available as a DAD) as a multichannel SACD!! :eek:

Well, I could not find this disc anywhere, so I ordered it from Elusive Disc. I fired it up and played a bit of the tunes I liked, then dragged it upstairs to view the wav files.

I am sad to report that this is basically an ambience release, with a .1 LFE track. There is absolutely nothing in the center channel, and the rears merely echo the fronts at a lower amplitude with what sounds like a bit of delay or "space".

The effect, although pleasing, is rather disappointing. Even if they threw in a solo guitar or SOMETHING in the rears, I would have been pleased, but no.

Again, it is a very clear and nice sounding presentation. It does sound like he is in the room with you, and this album is not a big, over-produced thing where there would be a lot of room for the rears to shine. It is just a bit disappointing to a quad freak like me. :smokin

Those who like the ambience sound will be thrilled, however, as I said it is a great SOUNDING recording.

Anyway, I have rambled on long enough over an SACD that most of you will never hear.

Later

:-jon

The songs are very nice and it does sound very good in Stereo. As for the Surround SACD mix, like most of the Chesky Surround discs, it's a pretty conservative, ambient mix. But if you like the music, it's enjoyable.

As for some more aggressive SACD Surround material from Chesky, check Bucky Pizzarelli's "Swing Live" and the just released "Dr. Chesky's 5.1 Surround Show" discs. Both feature very lively surround material !

Back