Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlake6659

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
What did everyone think about this surround mix. I was somewhat dissapointed. THOUGHTS????

I was wondering about this one. What is bad about it?

JonUrban said:
I was wondering about this one. What is bad about it?
I can't say what is necessarily bad about it, except I was expecting to be blown away. It sounds kind of flat in the dynamic range to me compared to some other SACDs I have. Plus after the deluxe edition came out about a year ago, this disc only has the original 8 tracks clocking in at only 33 minutes. Granted it is only 14.99 but I was expecting some alternate takes that the deluxe edition has. I guess it is worth it if you love Let's Get It On.

tlake6659 said:
I can't say what is necessarily bad about it, except I was expecting to be blown away. It sounds kind of flat in the dynamic range to me compared to some other SACDs I have. Plus after the deluxe edition came out about a year ago, this disc only has the original 8 tracks clocking in at only 33 minutes. Granted it is only 14.99 but I was expecting some alternate takes that the deluxe edition has. I guess it is worth it if you love Let's Get It On.

Well I picked it up and listened to it. While I like the mix (done by Jeff Glixman of Kansas fame), the is no sub channel so it is a 5.0 mix. I wish they would have added the sub channels. My book shelf speakers sound nice but the mix is really lacking in punch on my system.

Bob Romano said:
Well I picked it up and listened to it. While I like the mix (done by Jeff Glixman of Kansas fame), the is no sub channel so it is a 5.0 mix. I wish they would have added the sub channels. My book shelf speakers sound nice but the mix is really lacking in punch on my system.

It would be interesting to compare the new mix to the one done in the 1970's for the CD-4 Japanese Quadradisc version of Let's Get It On. That one was deemed by many to be one of the top CD-4 releases anywhere.

The music is good, but the mix isn't agressive like "Midlight Love". Nothing much discreetly in the rears. It's kinda like the fronts wrap around to the rears horse-shoe-style plus ambience.

surroundophile said:
The music is good, but the mix isn't agressive like "Midlight Love". Nothing much discreetly in the rears. It's kinda like the fronts wrap around to the rears horse-shoe-style plus ambience.

Too bad! "Midnight Love" is one of my fave releases...

Oh, well, I'll pick this one up anyway! :rolleyes: It is Marvin Gaye, after all... :D

After all this different comments to "Let's get it on" I/we here in Germany are stretched, how this SA-CD will sound in our ears,when we can buy it some week later in the future. (I think, we all can't understand, that some software will be earlier on the market in the USA, others earlier in Europe).The benchmak for most "old" fans of Quadraphony by the rerealization of Q-Software on new surround-mediums will be, that it sound equal to the original.That means a transfer from the old mastertapes without a new mixdown - when they will have a well standard of quality, which will be true at most. We will say it again and again (to all new sound-mixers) - the wheel can not invented new!!! Possible may be - when needed - the removal of a last noising or a little lifting by the dynamic. A well example for a well 1:1 transfer will be the "Tubular Bell". And when the mastertapes are lost, the new mix should be orientated to the existing consumer version. No wonder, when more and more Q-fans will begin with a restoration of their many own 4-channel software to DTS-CD. There may by absent a little pinch of Hi-Res, but they will have therefore a more consistent and well-rounded surround-sound.

bizmopeen said:
Too bad! "Midnight Love" is one of my fave releases...

Oh, well, I'll pick this one up anyway! :rolleyes: It is Marvin Gaye, after all... :D

If you like the Surround Mix on "Midnight Love" check out Ginuwine's "The Life" - surround mix on that SACD Surround rap album by the same engineer. And just as ambitious.

For those, who likes some more bass like Bob Romano (not all music needs a strong bass) by a SA-CD, I can give a pointer of a SA-CD in some hip-hop style (I think so) with sometimes a deep and strong bass which is well listening and suitable to the music and the music-style. It is "Groove Armada - goodbye country - hello nightclub). You should begin the listening with track 3 (taste bud) and I then will listen all he title till the end. And the mix is like real quadraphony- with clear sounds from behind.(some "modern" suround-mixes have there too less - but then often will help of course a turn up of the rear channels - easy done by real quadraphonic amplifiers or a surround-set based by 2 stereo-amplifiers. But it is an own risk for an buyer of "Groove Armada" if this music will satisfy him. Most will have fun - I think. Dietrich

Quadro-Action said:
For those, who likes some more bass like Bob Romano (not all music needs a strong bass) by a SA-CD, I can give a pointer of a SA-CD in some hip-hop style (I think so) with sometimes a deep and strong bass which is well listening and suitable to the music and the music-style. It is "Groove Armada - goodbye country - hello nightclub). You should begin the listening with track 3 (taste bud) and I then will listen all he title till the end. And the mix is like real quadraphony- with clear sounds from behind.(some "modern" suround-mixes have there too less - but then often will help of course a turn up of the rear channels - easy done by real quadraphonic amplifiers or a surround-set based by 2 stereo-amplifiers. But it is an own risk for an buyer of "Groove Armada" if this music will satisfy him. Most will have fun - I think. Dietrich

I've heard positive reviews about all 3 of the Groove Armada Surround SACDs.

bmoura said:
I've heard positive reviews about all 3 of the Groove Armada Surround SACDs.
Hi Brian, it would be helpful for me and others, when you can name the 2 other titles of Groove Armada in multichannel SA-CD and aditional the register-number. One may be the "Vertigo"? as written in another comment. Dietrich

Quadro-Action said:
Hi Brian, it would be helpful for me and others, when you can name the 2 other titles of Groove Armada in multichannel SA-CD and aditional the register-number. One may be the "Vertigo"? as written in another comment. Dietrich

They're all shown on my Multichannel SACD - Only in Europe web page at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/bmoura/emsacdnw.htm

The SACDs are Hello Country, Lovebox and Vertigo.

tlake6659 said:
What did everyone think about this surround mix. I was somewhat dissapointed. THOUGHTS????

I have the retail DTS version of Marvin Gaye's 'Forever Yours' and although some might think DTS is passe' these days, I think it sounds great. I can A/B it against a regular Marvin Gaye Greatest Hits CD and the difference is spectacular.

Just a question since I recently picked up a used copy of the DTS "Forever Yours" disc and thought the mixes on it were pretty fantastic in the main, (particularly the 1970s material)...is this disc any different from what has come out in SACD? I mean for contents, or am I missing something by not tracking those down? John S.

Back