Master List: Quad titles with alternate versions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Owing to recent posts about Grass Roots/Greatest, I'm wondering how many other titles there are with alternate versions. Another that comes to mind is the UA Q8 of War / The World is a Ghetto, apparently available in an alternate gold cart that may have Dolby NR.

IMHO, any of these should count:

1) Alternate (quad) mix
2) Alternate song length
3) Different tracks
4) Substantially different quality, mastering, or processing (including Dolby)

I wouldn't include titles like Steely Dan/Countdown to Ecstasy that came in a GRT cart with one set of channels reversed, nor the Tommy James & Shondells / Greatest or Eagles Q8's with different colors/covers.

1) Alternate (quad) mix
Steely Dan ....Can't buy a thrill. QS/Q8...reelin in the years...guitar solos unedited
Chicago......Chicago 2 SQ /Q8.... 25 or 6 to 4.....guitar solos unedited
The Supremes Greatest hits cd-4
The Jackson 5 ...Greatest hits cd-4
Wings...Venus and Mars...Q8 and Dts have different edits to the stereo version, most noticeably "love in song" is not crossfaded on the dts version with "venus and mars/rockshow" ("letting go" is instead) and "love in song" has a clean intro in dts cd.
Hence the track orders on dts cd, Q8 and stereo version are all different...."listen to what the man said" has extra drummer in dts /quad version (heard prominently in the rear speakers during the line "the wonder of it all baby") over the stereo version.

2) Alternate song length
Pink Floyd ..Wish you were here. SQ /Q8 ...side one is longer and on side 2 the gap between "have a cigar" and "wish you were here" is much longer on quad...i.e. "have a cigar" is longer...
John Lennon - Imagine SQ/Q8
"How do you sleep" quad version is shorter, it omits the orchestral tune up intro found on the stereo version.

Steely Dan ....Can't buy a thrill...quad lp sonically inferior to stereo lp
Steely Dan ....Countdown to ecstacy.....quad lp sonically inferior to stereo lp
Jim Croce ....I got a name...quad lp sonically superior to stereo lp..most noticeably on the vocals............

Last edited:
John Lennon - Imagine
"I Don't Want To Be A Soldier" has different feedback at the end of the song.

John Lennon - Walls And Bridges
"Steel And Glass" is about one minute longer.
"Beef Jerky" has no echo/reverb.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung
"Aqualung" has a different vocal in the middle part. This version was used for the "MU" album which was scheduled to be in quad, but came out in stereo with some quad versions on it.
"Wind Up" is a totally different take.

Country Joe & The Fish - Greatest Hits
"Here I Go Again" is a totally dfferent take.

Santana - Santana (1)
"Evil Ways" does not fade out at the end, but comes to a tight end. This version is also on the quad Greatest Hits.

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
"Keep The Customer Satisfied" has an opening chord not on the stereo version.

Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
"Frederick" is a totally different take.
"Volunteers" is a totally different take, with a different verse. It's also on the quad "Worst Of".

Jefferson Airplane - Worst Of
"Volunteers" see above.
"Today" starts with a strumming guitar, not on the stereo version.
"Ballad Of You And Me And Pooneil" starts and ends with different feedback, three members take turns saying "hello" in a different channel each in the opening, the end is cold before the feedback which is more of an add-on.
"Lather" has prominent piano.

I'll probably remember more...

Eagles - On the Border
"You Never Cry Like a Lover" adds a background vocal "Try a Little Harder" after the opening coda. Stereo version omits this.

Elvis - Promised Land
"Promised Land" features a harmony vocal along with Elvis' lead
"If you talk in your sleep" the horns have no echo added to them

Steve Miller - The Joker
"The Joker" is over a minute longer than the stereo version, and has repeat choruses
"Your cash ain't nothin' but Trash" features studio chatter at the start

*interesting note: You can REALLY hear somebody in the band sneeze on "Lovin' Cup"

The Doors - Best of
"Touch Me" has the 'stronger than dirt' ending. Some stereo versions have a cold ending.

Grass Roots - 16 Greatest Hits
See the Grass Roots post

James Taylor - One Man Dog
Totally different vocal on "One Man Parade" and "Fanfare", extra instrumental passage on Fanfare as well

Jackson Browne - Late for the Sky
Different vocal on some tunes (I can't remember)

Barry Manilow - Tryin' to Get the Feeling
Different vocal on some tunes (I can't remember)

Thanks guys, but . . . that's not what I meant.

There's an endless supply of quad mixes that differ in some way from the original stereo, but what I meant was a quad release that was available in more than one version. That is, two or more *different* quad releases, like the Grass Roots / Greatest Hits.

Thanks guys, but . . . that's not what I meant.

There's an endless supply of quad mixes that differ in some way from the original stereo, but what I meant was a quad release that was available in more than one version. That is, two or more *different* quad releases, like the Grass Roots / Greatest Hits.

ok take 2.........

1) Alternate (quad) mixes

Chicago......Chicago 2 SQ /Q8.... 25 or 6 to 4.....guitar solos unedited
Chicago........Chicago 2 DVDA multichannel 5.1....... 25 or 6 to 4......guitar solo edited the same as the stereo version.

Wings...Venus and Mars...quad Q8 and quad Dts have different edits to each other...most noticeably "love in song" is not crossfaded on the dts version with "venus and mars/rockshow" ("letting go" is instead) so therefore,"love in song" has a clean intro in dts cd......but not "letting go" as it is joined to venus and mars rockshow on the dts cd
whereas "letting go" has a clean edit on the Q8.....
Hence the track orders on dts cd, and Q8 are different as well as the crossfades and clean intros.

and santana abraxas sqlp and q8 and dts cd are different, from memory it's a clean intro on "Oye como va" but I can't exactly remember ....

and of course the 5.1 mixes on dvd that have tracks from John lennon's imagine lp are all different from the quad mix....(the sq /q8 has the lead vocals in stereo left and right front whereas the 5.1 mixes tend to have it all in the centre speaker....
and
the 5.1 mixes John lennon Imagine dvd are different from John lennon legend dvd......different lead vocals......and jealous guy has orchestra mainly in the rear on the imagine dvd....(along with an out take lead vocal.).

The Columbia Sony SQ demo record from Japan...the one with the unique one off quad mix with a clean intro of "I stand alone" by Al Kooper on it, well this SQ lp
has a very strange mix of "Season of the witch" from "Super Session"...2 very different Al Kooper lead vocals singing on one of the verses...somebody forgot to pull the faders down....and it's like 2 out of time singers at Karaoke night!...problem fixed by the time Columbia put out the whole "Super Session" lp as an SQ release

UA Q8 of War / The World is a Ghetto,
there is at least a gold and a white color cart of this and one sounds substantially better than the other...I can't remember which color now as i sold them both after i transferred the best one to hi8 digital on my Tascam DA88 (an 8 track digital tape recorder using Hi8 tapes,which by the way tends to go cheap on ebay second hand)...
but I do remember that one cart had the date in roman numerals and the other one doesn't...and the one with normal numbers for the date is the one to get.....i wouldn't say it was dolby encoded though...doesn't sound like it.....the one with roman numerals for the date is just dull by comparison.....well really dull ..like Q8 dull...

Last edited:
Burt Bacharach Greatest Hits: 8 songs out of 12 are present in the other two BB quads (Reach Out and Make It Easy...). All these 8 songs of the GH has a different quad mix.

Sly & Family Stone GH Q8: canadian release feature Dolby and a much less saturated master, USA don't.

SQ quad demonstration called "The full spectrum of quadraphonic sound" featuring Santana's Oye Como Va has FR and Ls inverted, Sly's "Want to take you higher" has the guitar solo missing and different ending, or another Q8 demonstration with Santana's "Hope you're feeling better" with a different mix (drums are in the rears).

I think the Sly Stone Q8 deserves it's own thread. There is simply too much to discuss concerning the differences between the mono/stereo/quad versions.

Someone could write a thesis paper about it!

I'm not sure about the details, but I believe that there are two different quad versiosn of "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield. I think the CD-4 version is pseudo quad, and the version found in "Boxed" is a true discreet mix.

J. D.

I'm not sure about the details, but I believe that there are two different quad versiosn of "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield. I think the CD-4 version is pseudo quad, and the version found in "Boxed" is a true discreet mix.

J. D.

Cd-4 version (earlier US) along with the SQ version (UK and later US) are real quad (it's the same version there's on SACD), but were mixed "manually". The boxed version was remixed with a "computerised" mixer in 1976.

(y)

...also quite some of the songs of Barbra Streisand's SQ-albums are different takes or different mixes. Especially "The Summer Knows" on Barbra Joan Streisand is different, and the whole (rather gorgeous) "The Way We Were" album is different in many ways... on the "Live in Forum" Barbra is getting somehow confused before doing "Stoney End" which has been edited/removed on the stereo-disc. Neil Diamond's album "Serenade" is also very different from the stereo-version in many ways: Different takes, other words used and so on...

The problem with this thread is that there seems to be some confusion between what is an 'alternate version,' as opposed to things mixed up or down but otherwise the take is the same as the released stereo version.

One example is Sly's GREATEST HITS. As a collector, I bought all the 45's--from "Underdog" forward--when I was young, and the original Epic Lp's as well. But while there are radical differences in mix between mono, stereo and quad--not to mention editing differences compared to some singles and Lp versions--the takes on all are, far as I can remember, basically the same; the differences are almost always strictly mix, not the actual take used.

To understand this, think of the stereo mix of Fleetwood Mac's "Never Going Back Again" to the 5.1 remix, which has added instrumentation mixed out the first time around. Same take, different mix. Same with Bread's "Everything I Own," EWF's "Shining Star," some others.

But if we just go over 'alternate versions,' which means edits and mixes, we'll be here forever, because every quad album worth a damn is SUPPOSED to have those...:D

ED :)

...I think the CD-4 version of "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield is pseudo quad, and the version in "Boxed" is a true discrete mix.
J. D.

Could be. My import CD-4 LP (non Japanese non-Atlantic) sounds mostly ambient in the rear, but my British SQ box set LP spins around in places and has discrete instruments in different channels in different places.

Black Sabbath's Paranoid CD-4 - War Pigs does not end with the sped up ending like the stereo version
Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink QS ... Happy Ways doesn't have the crazy intro.
Mott The Hoople - Mott SQ - Golden Age Of Rock N Roll has subtle but different mix as does
West Bruce & Laing's Backfire from Whatever Turns You On (has different guitar mix.)
CCR - Gold CD-4 ... again, like Sly Stone, needs a thesis paper to describe this one!

-Bob

Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies. Different words in places, one song I seem to remember is a different take and is longer. One song doesn't crossfade or something like that. It's been a while, but I know there are differences all over that album.

Back