More "MVI" Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Looks like Rush is DD 5.1 only. This is looking bleak for hi-res surround.

The MVI Music site shows a number of titles, some which have been previously released as hi-res DVD-A. If they only include lossy DD or DTS as the surround listening options, these will be downgrades as far as I'm concerned...:(

If they only include lossy DD or DTS as the surround listening options, these will be downgrades as far as I'm concerned...:(

You've got that right. After the Sonia Dada and Steve Miller DD mixes I had hope that DD wasn't THAT bad, but the Rush disc proved me wrong. What a waste to spend the time/money to create a 5.1 mix only to ruin it by presenting it only in DD. DTS is better, but give us lossless! Technology is supposed to be making things better! I guess that is trumped by record companies making things worse.

Within days, I'd be willing to bet, the Rush disc will be available for download to anyone with high speed internet, for free - which is probably about what the DD mix is worth. DD with MLP solves some of that, people could d/l the DD and get a taste of the music and mix, but have to pay to get the version worth listening to. Idiots.

The record labels are truly The Dance Band On The Titanic. They are not adapting to the swiftly changing music market.

May come a time where we need to license catalog masters and DIY our own label big-time....

Why are they abandoning DVD-A tracks? It makes no sense at all......... :mad:

It's disappointing when any of these new attempts at moving music to a DVD medium neglect surround sound completely. (Linkin Park, I'm looking at you!).

So I'll be thrilled if we can just manage to get some new music eventually released that is at least full-rate DTS 5.1 surround sound.

I'll probably buy the Donald Fagen MVI disc so long as it isn't over $25.00---assuming it includes the surround mixes for the 3 solo albums included on the cover. (I don't own any of those on DVD-A, so I'd take DTS at this point since some of those are hard to find.)

But after that I do hope we can continue to see new 5.1 mixes created. I worry that either we'll simply just get recycled old DVD-As or else no surround at all.

Things do look bad. But, when I think of the record corporations intense desire to do away with piracy I feel a little better. SACD and DVD-A fit the bill and 5.1 is an enticement for the consumer. The average consumer isn't going to switch for the hell of it or because the corporations want us to, they are going to have to offer something else. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that with more and more home theater systems in living rooms that surround will catch on. Now that I have bought the Denon of my dreams I hope that it's DVD-A and/or SACD, but only time will tell.

Looks like Rush is DD 5.1 only. This is looking bleak for hi-res surround.

The MVI Music site shows a number of titles, some which have been previously released as hi-res DVD-A. If they only include lossy DD or DTS as the surround listening options, these will be downgrades as far as I'm concerned...:(

I'll take it any way I can get it! If it's only DD 5.1,it;s still better than no 5.1 at all. But with some luck, they will offer some more of these titles with full DVD-A sound. But for now, I'll happily take what they give us.

Less and less "new" hardware are playing them. Hell, some of the new players won't even play CDs. :eek: Mike.
True. Even Panasonic, who designed most of the dvd-audio format's hardware, is starting to drop the format from their own gear lineups. I saw this a couple months ago while at Best Buy checking out the new audio equipment that had come in. For the past 5 years or so, their HTiBs, even the basic ones priced at around $300, included dvd-audio playback. But now even the "loaded" models with wireless rear speakers no longer have the dvd-audio/video logo. :(

But both models BB sold *did* have this new feature: full-function iPod docks. Got to provide what most customers want I guess.....

True. Even Panasonic, who designed most of the dvd-audio format's hardware, is starting to drop the format from their own gear lineups. I saw this a couple months ago while at Best Buy checking out the new audio equipment that had come in. For the past 5 years or so, their HTiBs, even the basic ones priced at around $300, included dvd-audio playback. But now even the "loaded" models with wireless rear speakers no longer have the dvd-audio/video logo. :(

But both models BB sold *did* have this new feature: full-function iPod docks. Got to provide what most customers want I guess.....

I sell those Panasonic systems, and they DO have a
DVD-Audio logo on them. There are also systems from Samsung that do a brilliant job of playing DVD-A. So let's not pronounce the format dead just yet.

Well I looked directly at the dvd logo that was on these particular machines, and all they said was "DVD" with the word "video" underneath. I had a dvd-audio disc with me at the time (I always bring one of these and one CD on these little discovery trips :)) and while playing it I noticed it was acting weird i.e. I couldn't fast-foward into the track and instead it skipped all the way to the next track just like our dvd-video player does when playing one of these discs. That's when I looked more closely at the player's list of logos on the front panel.

Even the manual for one of these players says it doesn't play dvd-audio discs, on page 14* (despite what Panasonic's own webpage says, which always seem to have mistakes like this):
Discs that cannot be played DVD-RW version 1.0, DVD-Audio, DVD-ROM, CD-ROM, CDV,CD-G, SACD, DivX Video Discs and Photo CD, DVD-RAM that cannot be removed from their cartridge, 2.6-GB and 5.2-GB DVD-RAM, and “Chaoji VCD” available on the market including CVD, DVCD and SVCD that do not conform to IEC62107.
FYI: my first career was spent as a quality control inspector, hence all this rambling! :D

* IMO the manual should read something like "This model can only play the dvd-video layer of a dvd-audio disc." Saying it can't play a dvd-audio at all gives the impression it will just spit the disc out even if there are Dolby and DTS tracks present.....which is maybe why the webpage says it CAN? :mad:@:

I sell those Panasonic systems, and they DO have a
DVD-Audio logo on them. There are also systems from Samsung that do a brilliant job of playing DVD-A. So let's not pronounce the format dead just yet.

I live in Hawaii, and when I was deciding between formats I could find a LOT of DVD-Audio compatible players in stock at the stores here. The ONLY place I could find an SACD player here was at a SONY store and it had a SACD-only player tucked away in the corner. That, and many other considerations were factors in my decision to go with DVD-Audio. Worse case scenario with DVD-A, I could still play them in DVD players (albeit DD/DTS) and that should stick around for a while.

The record labels are truly The Dance Band On The Titanic. They are not adapting to the swiftly changing music market.

May come a time where we need to license catalog masters and DIY our own label big-time....

What is involved with licensing catalog masters? A large price tag?

Back