Music server software with Dolby Atmos passthrough + remote control app

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I would like to update my current setup to add a mini PC and enable gapless streaming of files from my NAS, including mkv files, to feed into my AVR over HDMI. Crucially, streaming needs to be operated from my phone (Android), worst case scenario from an iPad. I do not want to deal with a screen, mouse and keyboard.

So far, I have been using MinimServer on my NAS, HiFi Cast as my remote control app, and a Sony X800m2 as the UPnP renderer. This was an acceptable solution until I decided that I would like to start streaming Atmos files from the NAS, which MinimServer does not recognise and the Sony does not play.

So far, I bought the MeLE Quieter 3Q Fanless Mini PC N5105. I would be grateful for any software suggestions - the simpler, the better.

I am happy to splurge on this if it gets me a well implemented solution. If Roon had HDMI passthrough of Atmos files, I would be buying a lifetime subscription now instead of writing this post. JRiver seems like an idea and it has a companion app, but the rating on the Google store is abysmal.

I’d run LibreElec Kodi on that N5105 box. It’s a Linux OS with Kodi included and free. Boots straight to the Kodi menu, you’ll never see the Linux system. I’m running 2 x Intel i3 NUCs with LibreEle/Kodi. Perfect for music and concerts. HDMI Passthrough for Atmos, DTSX and 4K HDR video.

Thank you guys. I will have a look at Kodi over the weekend. I never knew there was an Android control app for it!

Other suggestions still very much welcome.

I’d run LibreElec Kodi on that N5105 box. It’s a Linux OS with Kodi included and free. Boots straight to the Kodi menu, you’ll never see the Linux system. I’m running 2 x Intel i3 NUCs with LibreEle/Kodi. Perfect for music and concerts. HDMI Passthrough for Atmos, DTSX and 4K HDR video.
Oh wow... I hadn't considered using a NUC. And some of these offer two HDMI ports.

Thank you guys. I will have a look at Kodi over the weekend. I never knew there was an Android control app for it!

Other suggestions still very much welcome.

Another vote for Kodi here - I use it for all my music listening and all my ripped/downloaded movie and TV watching and it works great. I think there are a bunch of different Android remote apps for it, but I personally use one called KORE - there are a few screenshots of the UI in this post I made detailing my NUC/Kodi journey a few years back.

Thanks! Do you also need to make the CUE files for gapless atmos playback as in Kodi or does JRiver take care of that for you automatically?
That is a very good question.
What I do with MKV files that need to be gapless, like Abbey Road.
Rip the Blu Ray with MakeMKV
Now at this point you can rip into chapters and tag with Music Media Helper
OR
to answer your question, there will be what I call a root file from the MakeMKV rip and this is where JRiver plays the gapless tracks, perfectly.
When you import the file from wherever it may be, PC, NAS, etc it will import as a Video file (MKV).
With chapters, there is a JRiver sidecar that you can add from MMH, no CUE file needed.
Nothing is perfect and even with KODI they have there little weirdness and the tagging doesn't come through, sometimes, and once in JRiver you will have/want to tag better. One album in JRiver that you have to fully tag, takes 5 mins tops.
If in JRiver, and I don't know why, you add a CUE to it, it will import to the audio section, not the video section as an MKV file, but it will not play ATMOS, it will only play ATMOS from the video section.
I created an ATMOS zone also with JRiver, easy.
I have 632 video MKV files in my JRiver that play ATMOS with zero issues.
I have a fanless PC from THIS COMPANY, I started with a NUC years ago, but was problematic for me, noise mostly and I know that is not everyone's experience with NUC's.
For ATMOS listening as it is a MKV video file it must be HDMI out from the Fanless PC to my Pre/Pro. All the other FLAC and DSD files play analog 6 cables out to my external DAC into my 7.1 port in the back of my Pre/Pro. This used for 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.1, etc, etc.
If the file is FLAC JRiver will play tracks gapless with no issues. I expect soon they will get the gapless playback with chapters of MKV files soon.
I sit in a chair with a PC, that I remote access the Fanless PC that is in my stack of audio gear with SPLASHTOP, super simple.
Using a PC at my chair that does not have wires is a blessing. The remote access is good for tagging, rearranging, importing, etc.
If I just want to sit and fire away than the app works perfect, I can switch zones, albums, songs, whatever with the app.
When HDMI out into the Pre/Pro and MKV files it shows on my TV which is cool because a lot of ATMOS has video tracks with there music, you know, just like a hard disc Blu Ray.
This whole process of course works perfectly for ripping Blu Ray movies, I think I have one. I am not a movie collector.

Sorry long winded but I tried to think of everything. If I didn't answer well, or if clarification is needed just fire away.

Honestly, I don't know why I am JRiver and not KODI, I think when I started in 2014 the old timers then where into JRiver. I think both choices would be good and what I have read on QQ, neither one blows away the other, they are pretty equal.

A cue file with MKA in Kodi gets the album into the Kodi database so it can be found by artist, genre, year and title, and songs found too. Easy to get to play any song or add it to a play list etc.

As Dave said above, there are various apps to play, find and queue artists, albums and songs for iPad/iPhone and Android phones/tablets that add so much flexibility and ease of use. This is the real benefit/game changer for digital media playback. For example, I can easily navigate to any songs/albums and queue to play while sitting anywhere in my house, including in the yard in summer with my system inside and glass doors wide open BBQ and music pumping!

That is a very good question.
What I do with MKV files that need to be gapless, like Abbey Road.
Rip the Blu Ray with MakeMKV
Now at this point you can rip into chapters and tag with Music Media Helper
OR
to answer your question, there will be what I call a root file from the MakeMKV rip and this is where JRiver plays the gapless tracks, perfectly.
When you import the file from wherever it may be, PC, NAS, etc it will import as a Video file (MKV).
With chapters, there is a JRiver sidecar that you can add from MMH, no CUE file needed.
Nothing is perfect and even with KODI they have there little weirdness and the tagging doesn't come through, sometimes, and once in JRiver you will have/want to tag better. One album in JRiver that you have to fully tag, takes 5 mins tops.
If in JRiver, and I don't know why, you add a CUE to it, it will import to the audio section, not the video section as an MKV file, but it will not play ATMOS, it will only play ATMOS from the video section.
I created an ATMOS zone also with JRiver, easy.
I have 632 video MKV files in my JRiver that play ATMOS with zero issues.
I have a fanless PC from THIS COMPANY, I started with a NUC years ago, but was problematic for me, noise mostly and I know that is not everyone's experience with NUC's.
For ATMOS listening as it is a MKV video file it must be HDMI out from the Fanless PC to my Pre/Pro. All the other FLAC and DSD files play analog 6 cables out to my external DAC into my 7.1 port in the back of my Pre/Pro. This used for 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.1, etc, etc.
If the file is FLAC JRiver will play tracks gapless with no issues. I expect soon they will get the gapless playback with chapters of MKV files soon.
I sit in a chair with a PC, that I remote access the Fanless PC that is in my stack of audio gear with SPLASHTOP, super simple.
Using a PC at my chair that does not have wires is a blessing. The remote access is good for tagging, rearranging, importing, etc.
If I just want to sit and fire away than the app works perfect, I can switch zones, albums, songs, whatever with the app.
When HDMI out into the Pre/Pro and MKV files it shows on my TV which is cool because a lot of ATMOS has video tracks with there music, you know, just like a hard disc Blu Ray.
This whole process of course works perfectly for ripping Blu Ray movies, I think I have one. I am not a movie collector.

Sorry long winded but I tried to think of everything. If I didn't answer well, or if clarification is needed just fire away.

Honestly, I don't know why I am JRiver and not KODI, I think when I started in 2014 the old timers then where into JRiver. I think both choices would be good and what I have read on QQ, neither one blows away the other, they are pretty equal.

Thanks so much! All seems clear!

A cue file with MKA in Kodi gets the album into the Kodi database so it can be found by artist, genre, year and title, and songs found too. Easy to get to play any song or add it to a play list etc.
Even without a CUE file in JRiver, same as above, artist, genre, year, title, etc. If you tag your description as ie; 4.0, and search 4.0 all your 4.0 titles will show up, type anything in the JRiver search box all comes up.
The side bar has everything already in artist, genre, etc.
One note not mentioned about JRiver is the cost, I think on average about $32.00 a year. Anytime they update, if you want that update, you will have to pay the update fee. If you don't pay the update, your player will just keep on working as is. I always pay the update.

Back