Need Help: Marantz SR8015/JRiver Suddenly Playing 4ch Mixes with Rears Missing?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyStatic

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of trying to figure this out but thought maybe someone here would have a suggestion or might have experienced the same thing. I'm playing 4ch files from JRiver that have always played and decoded with zero issue (Chicago, Doobies, Atom Heart Mother, etc.) and suddenly the rear channels are missing and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

1. I haven't touched any settings at all in JRiver. 6ch and 8ch mixes play perfectly with all of the channels assigned properly.
2. I even reverted to earlier versions of JRiver just to make sure that this had nothing to do with the latest update, and nothing changed.
3. I grabbed the Atom Heart Mother disc, which I know is just 4ch, played it through my blu ray player, and it played fine. The Marantz defaulted right to Multi-Ch input and everything is where it should be.
4. With all of the same settings, I switched to the HDMI input coming from my computer and boom, the rear channels vanished again.

SO. What I'm thinking is:

1. This isn't an issue with the HDMI cable because the 6ch and 8ch mixes play fine.
2. This is probably something on my computer, and more specifically in JRiver, although I've never touched anything.

Last edited:
Apologies if I put this in the wrong place, I think I may have. Spent some time messing with this and found out that JRiver reset my channel selections in one of the dialogues (under settings, playback options, I needed to reselect how many channels I'm running and whether or not I want it to down/upmix ā€”I'm a doofus (again), although I would have expected those settings to hold during the upgrade like everything else did). But if anyone else hits this snag as a relatively new JRiver user and this is helpful, then no harm no foul. šŸ˜¬

Last edited:
Back