New Hi-Res Atmos Download: Ryan Ulyate (Tom Petty's surround mixer) solo album "Act 3"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
@haikubass already mentioned this one in his great 2023 Surround Releases thread, but I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle of all the new activity this month. Ryan's talent is not just limited to the mixing board, he's also a great musician and songwriter. The album does kind of wear its influences on its sleeve (there's one song that really sounds like "Us and Them"), but the performances are strong and the Atmos mix is absolutely amazing. I'm really proud to have something of this quality on the site.

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/now-available-in-dolby-atmos-ryan-ulyates-act-3-immersive-edition/https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/act-3-immersive-edition-ryan-ulyate-atmos-mkv-mp4/

This was very surprising in a good way. I’m not sure what I was expecting (probably more prog or laid back) because I didn’t read the interview (bookmarked it for later) and I kind of glossed over the description. Then these songs come bouncing out and it was a pleasant listen through the samples.

Somehow I have got to get full Atmos figured out when it’s digital files on my Mac. (The heights never work because of way Apple seems to process this stuff in digital form.)

Glad you took a moment to start a thread on this one.

I think that if for whatever reason things don’t work with a Mac, a cheap Windows laptop wouldn’t be out of the question. I’ve had some other possible uses for Windows that could justify the purchase.

I made some feeble attempts to get the Mac working in the past, but not seriously enough and I gave up rather quickly. So I’m taking @jimfisheye’s post as motivation to retry, especially as I discover more things from IAA that I’d like to hear like this new one from Ryan. (See what I did there... brought it back home to the main topic. ;))

Downloaded this tonight - I'm a massive fan of Ryan's engineering work - I LOVE his work on all things Heartbreakers/Mudcrutch, and his absence is certainly noted on Jeff Lynne's last few albums. I'm listening to this on a 5.1 system (no atmos yet in this household :cry: ). The mix is certainly up to Ryan's lofty standards. Everything is sounding crisp, immersive and well-balanced. It's also fantastic to hear Ferrone again! Perhaps the vocals aren't necessarily the strongest, but they certainly don't detract from the music. The songs themselves are very rooted in the 70s, which is certainly not a bad thing. I look forward to playing this through a few times.

I think that if for whatever reason things don’t work with a Mac, a cheap Windows laptop wouldn’t be out of the question. I’ve had some other possible uses for Windows that could justify the purchase.
For what it's worth, I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VB6RK5L almost two months ago and it's shockingly useful for the price (which varies constantly, as does the value of the "coupon"). I paid a total of $147.

A friend of mine bought a lower-end version of the same thing and I've heard with my own ears that it worked fine with Kodi transcoding multichannel DSD to PCM.

A friend of mine bought a lower-end version of the same thing and I've heard with my own ears that it worked fine with Kodi transcoding multichannel DSD to PCM.
Wow, if it handles HDMI pass-through this would be a great unit for playing back Atmos downloads. I'm almost tempted to pick one up myself...

Wow, if it handles HDMI pass-through this would be a great unit for playing back Atmos downloads. I'm almost tempted to pick one up myself...
I should make clear that I have not tried to use mine for that, only heard the lower-end one working great at a friend's house. But I would be pretty surprised if it doesn't work.

I was just happy to get a working computer that boots from M.2 NVMe and works with my Topping D10S for that little money. My other W*nd*ws desktop is from 2012, so of course it can't run W11. I thought I was going to have to spend a mint, but...

@haikubass already mentioned this one in his great 2023 Surround Releases thread, but I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle of all the new activity this month. Ryan's talent is not just limited to the mixing board, he's also a great musician and songwriter. The album does kind of wear its influences on its sleeve (there's one song that really sounds like "Us and Them"), but the performances are strong and the Atmos mix is absolutely amazing. I'm really proud to have something of this quality on the site.

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/now-available-in-dolby-atmos-ryan-ulyates-act-3-immersive-edition/https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/act-3-immersive-edition-ryan-ulyate-atmos-mkv-mp4/
Thanks for the shout out! I produced this album with Atmos in mind, thinking about where various parts would live to fill out the immersive space. Having Steve Ferrone on this was a blessing. He's such a powerful drummer. Never a beat or fill that doesn't support the song. Josh Jové (who I met when Tom and I worked on The Shelters' first album) is an amazing guitar player. His solos are so tasteful and musical. And yes, I proudly wear my influences on my sleeve. Glad you're enjoying this!

Congratulations Ryan!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231111-085925_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231111-085925_Instagram.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 0
Can anyone else imagine Drink Up being done by 80s era Slade? Loved Slade in the 80s.

The song has a touch of My Oh My to my ears, but would have been a perfect fit on Rogues Gallery or You Boyz Make Big Noize.

Just listened to this on Apple music tonight.
SQ is good but the music type and style just misses the mark for me..
A little too 1960's pop for my taste.
Not something that would get much play here.
YMMV

Back