Oppo replacement recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never thought the Oppo players were better than the Sony players. I purchased the Oppo 105 when it was released, but returned it before the 30 days trial period was up because its D/A converter cannot play PCM at 192/24. It down grades the sampling rate to PCM 88.2. However, the Sonys plays the full sampling rate. With Rhino records releasing Quad blu-ray SACD at PCM 192/24, you can hear Quad in its full glory. Not so with the Oppo.

Last edited:
I have never thought the Oppo players were better than the Sony players. I purchased the Oppo 105 when it was released, but returned it before the 30 days trial period was up because its D/A converter cannot play PCM at 192/24. It down grades the sampling rate to PCM 88.2. However, the Sonys plays the full sampling rate. With Rhino records releasing Quad blu-ray SACD at PCM 192/24, you can hear Quad in its full glory. Not so with the Oppo.
I don't know where you are getting your info from but these are the 105s specs

Specs
BD-Live: Yes, 1 GB internal storage
BonusView: Yes, 1 GB internal storage
Firmware Version: BDP10X-38-1220
3D: Yes
Audio Decoding:
Dolby: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
DTS: DTS, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio
Other: 7.1 PCM up to 192/24, 5.1 DSD
HDMI Video Resolutions:
480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i/ 1080p/1080p24, 3D frame-packing 720p/1080p24, 4K x 2K

In addition, if it did down sample, why would it go to 88.2 instead of 96 kHz? 88.2kHz is the typical DSD to PCM conversion sample rate.

Last edited:
Reading threads like this I feel so lucky to have the option that I use.
All music ripped, listen only to ripped files of any format.
PC>USB out>external MCH DAC>analog RCA's out to the 7.1 Analog in back of AVR, and boom.
For Atmos PC>HDMI out to HDMI in of Atmos capable AVR.
All that said, I am sure something will break at some point, but so far so good.

To me, that seems really complicated :)

I just put the disc in the machine and hit play.

To me, that seems really complicated :)

I just put the disc in the machine and hit play.
I thought it would be complicated too. Before I did it.

Now I can sit down and not worry about finding discs or putting them away. And I can take a seat and play any disc I own in any order I like. Effortlessly skip back and forth between albums and tracks and versions. Have lyrics at the ready, even for albums that didn't come with lyrics. All this without interruption from a comfy seated position.

Did I mention the part about not needing a working disc player per the subject of this thread?

Now I can sit down and not worry about finding discs or putting them away.
That's the big part! With over 4000 albums on my drive, just finding what I want to play, besides the physical storage space for them would be overwhelming. I can now queue up as many albums as I want to listen to, click play and away it goes.. Click "clear playlist" and it's all put away.
Screenshot at 2024-02-15 05-58-16.png

Last edited:
Did I mention the part about not needing a working disc player per the subject of this thread?
You'll need some type of player, whether external or an internal drive for extracting (new and new to you) media. Granted, the dedicated players are typically subjected to more nuance when it comes to copy protection/licensing, but computer drives are by no means immune from these things as well. And then the cost of the infrastructure to host the data, redundancy/backups, etc. $250 for a X800M2 is a lot less than a multi-terabyte file hosting setup/related costs specific to this solution.

Last edited:
That's the big part! With over 4000 albums on my drive, just finding what I want to play, besides the physical storage space for them would be overwhelming. I can now queue up as many albums as I want to listen to, click play and away it goes..
I think this is the biggest case for whether to go full digital file with the collection. Storing that many discs to play at a moment's notice would require quite a bit of space, whereas having the discs boxed up in a closet much 'easier'.

Where that cost benefit lines up is for each member to decide. I'm a couple multiples from my collection approaching that point. Someone could be annoyed with 100 discs, the next could like the physical "library" aesthetic with thousands of discs and this strategy wouldn't even cross their mind. We all have preferences. For the record -- I fall somewhere in-between.

I suspect most people with 4000 unique physical titles are not cost constrained when it comes to creating a utopic vision of their ideal playback scenario. The rest of us [who likely own much fewer than 4000 titles] need to do the math first.

Last edited:
You'll need some type of player, whether external or an internal drive for extracting (new and new to you) media. Granted, the dedicated players are typically subjected to more nuance when it comes to copy protection/licensing, but computer drives are by no means immune from these things as well. And then the cost of the infrastructure to host the data, redundancy/backups, etc. $250 for a X800M2 is a lot less than a multi-terabyte file hosting setup/related costs specific to this solution.
I use a 10 year old windows laptop and a PC blue ray burner drive. There is no licensing or CP issues with making rips. For SACD rips I use a dedicated Sony DVD player I purchased used for $65.

You are correct that the NAS I use in my system (12 TB capacity) is more costly than the price of an X800M2 but it doesn't have to be. My son does the same thing with his system using a single 8TB WD portable drive which costs less than half the price of an X800M2

I think this is the biggest case for whether to go full digital file with the collection. Storing that many discs to play at a moment's notice would require quite a bit of space, whereas having the discs boxed up in a closet much 'easier'.
It just adds up so quickly it's amazing, and that is a lifetime of music collecting.
I decided to go full digital files when I started my retirement lifestyle change and move from Chicago to my new digs in FL. I knew I had a LOT less room for storage of my physical discs. I think I ripped around 300 LP's and close to 1,000 CD's and DVD's over a period of 6 months as I was preparing for the move.
The new available post retirement time, along with the boom in multich releases added up so quickly over the last nearly 20 years, the collection grew so rapidly my head spins. But I've loved every minute of it and tickled to death with what I have on the drives now. :)

I use a 10 year old windows laptop and a PC blue ray burner drive. There is no licensing or CP issues with making rips. For SACD rips I use a dedicated Sony DVD player I purchased used for $65.

You are correct that the NAS I use in my system (12 TB capacity) is more costly than the price of an X800M2 but it doesn't have to be. My son does the same thing with his system using a single 8TB WD portable drive which costs less than half the price of an X800M2
I appreciate the clarification, but please don't let anyone with 8TB of curated data rely solely on that as their only copy of that data. In which case, the $160+ 8TB usb drive is 2x$160+ (hopefully, for that person's sake, because those drives fail fairly often).

Yes, this can all be done cheap if you know how but...

1) rarely is cheap done 'well' [expect oversights, hardware failure, etc]
2) cost is not actually less than alternatives, there's lots of little costs involved and they all add up [cabling, networking, computer(s), etc needed]
3) not everyone has the technical knowledge or motivation or time to gain said knowledge

Last edited:
I appreciate the clarification, but please don't let anyone with 8TB of curated data rely solely on that as their only copy of that data. In which case, the $160+ 8TB usb drive is 2x$160+ (hopefully, for that person's sake, because those drives fail fairly often).

Yes, this can all be done cheap if you know how but...

1) rarely is cheap done 'well' [expect oversights, hardware failure, etc]
2) cost is not actually less than alternatives, there's lots of little costs involved and they all add up [cabling, networking, computer(s), etc needed]
3) not everyone has the technical knowledge or motivation or time to gain said knowledge
It's all backed up.

I appreciate the clarification, but please don't let anyone with 8TB of curated data rely solely on that as their only copy of that data.
OMG, I couldn't calculate the emotional loss. 🫨
I do a manual backup to an off-board 14tb drive with a rsync command from a terminal about once every couple weeks.

It's all backed up.
Adds to the cost. That's the point, nothing is free (maintenance, time, physical hardware) and it's all part of the 'cost'.

The intent of the cd, dvd, bluray medium is an easy means of dropping the disc into a player (or two players, if that's necessary to play all the discs in the library) and music comes out. Everything in addition to that is extraneous if looking at the medium's intended purpose. Yes, the medium can be coopted into whatever alternative delivery system one chooses with additional costs in time and hardware. But the simplicity and convenience is then lost.

As long as we're not suggesting the act of ripping is "easier than playing a disc" then I'll let this go, but the underlying tone here is that anyone putting a disc into a player is somehow dragging their knuckles when in reality dropping a disc into a player is exactly how the entire medium foundationally functions (from design to implementation).

Last edited:
Adds to the cost. That's the point, nothing is free and it all has 'costs'.
True, but the convenience makes it worth it to me.
My main in-computer files are all stored on SSD's.
3x or 4x more expensive, but they're dead quiet, that's the way I like my computer. ;)

Back