Poll: CDs with your surround optical discs, yes or no?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you prefer CDs (or a CD layer for SACD) to be included with surround releases?

• Yes

Votes: 50 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 32.2%
  • Only for SACDs (hybrid CD layer), not Blu-rays or DVDs (extra CD)

Votes: 9 10.3%

• Total voters
Yes. I still listen to CDs at home and in the car, and CDs are so much easier to rip and add to my stereo library than any other optical disc format. Although I love and am passionate about music in surround, the majority of my listening is still in stereo, as I'm a music lover first and a multichannel enthusiast second.

No, ultimately. I think this is format dependent. When it comes to a DVD or a Blu-ray, something which has an extremely high chance of playability inside an average person's household (say it be a game console or a computer), then a CD is redundant and only exists to inflate the cost. If it's something like an SACD, which is much harder to play, then it's probably a good idea to chuck a CD in.

Yes. I still listen to CDs at home and in the car, and CDs are so much easier to rip and add to my stereo library than any other optical disc format. Although I love and am passionate about music in surround, the majority of my listening is still in stereo, as I'm a music lover first and a multichannel enthusiast second.
Yes. What @JediJoker said--only I'd say that my listening is half-and-half, not majority-stereo.

If it's totally redundant material, there isn't much point in a CD. Sometimes space limitations make additional CDs necessary. I never play an actual CD disc as most car models no longer support optical media.. I also don't need to rip at CD quality as the car will play higher res files as well.. A CD layer on SACD seems standard. As a surround enthusiast I gotta vote no on included CD. But I'll bet the public at large wants them included.

I want my SACD.

IMG_1549.jpeg

Look at them DVs,
That's the way you do it:
You put the hybrid on SACD

I am a big stereo listener, so CD's are good for me even when they are highly compressed they sound better in the car, whereas on the home rig the less compressed sound better.
It is a great question, and my gut is answering what we have been getting, lives and extras on CD's.
I just do not see company's releasing a Blu Ray and Hybrid SACD together, so I vote for just plain CD's.
In fact if you do research and get the right CD, some of them sound fantastic.

It's a good question, and of course the real answer is what ever accompanies the Surround disc, Blu Ray and>DVD and>SACD and> we are going to buy anything because we want that surround disc.
Billy Joel's recent Piano Man with Hybrid SACD and RBCD, that was different, like 10 years ago, old school Digi Pak with SACD/DVD and CD.

Last edited:
I am a big stereo listener, so CD's are good for me even when they are highly compressed they sound better in the car, whereas on the home rig the less compressed sound better.
It is a great question, and my gut is answering what we have been getting, lives and extras on CD's.
I just do not see company's releasing a Blu Ray and Hybrid SACD together, so I vote for just plain CD's.
In fact if you do research and get the right CD, some of them sound fantastic.

It's a good question, and of course the real answer is what ever accompanies the Surround disc, Blu Ray and>DVD and>SACD and> we are going to buy anything because we want that surround disc.
Billy Joel's recent Piano Man with Hybrid SACD and RBCD, that was different, like 10 years ago, old school Digi Pak with SACD and CD.
And a DVD, Markie!

Assuming the CD doesn’t add $20 to the price ($10 is the limit) I’d like a CD copy. I will still use a boombox when I’m washing the car or working outside. I don’t care for streaming and nothing is more convenient than popping in aCD. IMO.
I also still have a CD player in my truck.

On the flip side, a good many of the MC discs I buy, I already have the CD. So that’s kind of a waste.

Back