Putting together a Pioneer system for a quad newbie

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

After I scratched my McIntosh itch (MA-5100, MR-71, MI-3, along with a Technics SL-1200 turntable, going to two Ohm Walsh2 speakers), I've decided that my next exploration into all things audio is getting a quadraphonic system.

I've been doing some research into systems and it seems that Pioneer is at the best price point for me. Not $1,000 and up like McIntosh or Marantz, but still excellent components at a more attainable price. I thought something neat to do would be to open the 1976 catalog - the year I was born - and try to acquire the top of the line items to make a complete system over the course of a few years. So, that would mean:

QX-949A amplifier
PL-530 turntable
CT-F9199 cassette tape player
RT-2022 reel to reel
Two HPM-100 speakers for the back
Two CS-E421 speakers for the front
I didn't see a Pioneer 8-track player, so instead, I was thinking of a Technics RS-858-DUS that is of the same vintage.

This would go in our living room that is about 25/30 feet long and has a cathedral ceiling.

A couple questions I have:
Is the reel-to-reel player I suggested one that could play 4 tracks? If not, what is the alternative?
Have any of you done something like this, where you get everything from the same year?
I am a newbie to Pioneer. What can I expect?
If you have one or more of the components I listed, what are your experiences with them?

Thanks for all of your help. I'm sure I have more questions that will come about.

Thanks,
Brian

Hello! Welcome to the QQ. For my two cents, knowing what I know now about quad / surround sound, unless you are, in reality a hobbyist in vintage gear, I would not go the vintage route. It is ultimately very expensive, and for the money, you can get some very nice new quad / surround gear. You can incorporate elements of your current stereo system with new quad gear / speakers / amp and it would be quite nice.

If you are a vintage hobbyist, it depends somewhat on what exactly you are after.

There will be many schools of thought depending on which route you are ultimately after....vintage or just quad / surround.

Let us know!

Hello! Welcome to the QQ. For my two cents, knowing what I know now about quad / surround sound, unless you are, in reality a hobbyist in vintage gear, I would not go the vintage route. It is ultimately very expensive, and for the money, you can get some very nice new quad / surround gear. You can incorporate elements of your current stereo system with new quad gear / speakers / amp and it would be quite nice.

If you are a vintage hobbyist, it depends somewhat on what exactly you are after.

There will be many schools of thought depending on which route you are ultimately after....vintage or just quad / surround.

Let us know!
Hi LB-V. Good question - what I’m after. I know I could get the latest and greatest but I will forever have a soft spot for the past. That’s primarily why I am looking for a great system from 1976, since it would be the same age as me.

I’ve always searched for a sound that fills the room - an interesting concept in our cathedral-ceilinged room. While not a perfect acoustic setup, it is (I believe) pretty good. One of my favorite things is to push up the volume on my McIntosh if I’m listening to, say, an English choral group backed by a church pipe organ. I subscribe to the BBC’s classical music magazine, which comes each month with a CD of a composer or composers put on by some of the UK’s great modern ensembles. The choral and pipe organ selections are top notch on my Ohm Walsh 2s.

So that’s a very long answer to your question. Basically I want to be immersed in the music in that room using vintage gear. The way the speakers are already mounted, I think it could sound great. The cost I’ve seen of Pioneer equipment is not all that outrageous, especially if I stick to my plan and built this over time, rather than at once.

Brian

While I get what you are after, you could get better results if you expand your horizons a bit beyond a specific year and manufacturer. Personally I have never understood why people feel the need to have all their components matching from a single manufacturer. The idea of separates is to purchase the best (or most affordable) unit regardless of manufacturer.

Regarding speakers for quad it is best if they do all match!

Your choice of manufacturer makes some sense. Pioneer equipment tends to sound good and is usually built well. Quad wise their decoding leaves a lot to be desired, perhaps that is why they tend to be more affordable than other manufactures.

While I get what you are after, you could get better results if you expand your horizons a bit beyond a specific year and manufacturer. Personally I have never understood why people feel the need to have all their components matching from a single manufacturer. The idea of separates is to purchase the best (or most affordable) unit regardless of manufacturer.

Regarding speakers for quad it is best if they do all match!

Your choice of manufacturer makes some sense. Pioneer equipment tends to sound good and is usually built well. Quad wise their decoding leaves a lot to be desired, perhaps that is why they tend to be more affordable than other manufactures.
For me, I guess it's also for aesthetic reasons. Having everything look the same (or close to it) is also part of the equation, along with it being the same age as me. But I am looking at a Technics 8-track player.
I saw a YouTube video where someone used the Surround Master SQ component with a QX-949A. Sounds like that would help the Pioneer's decoding? Is that right?

For me, I guess it's also for aesthetic reasons. Having everything look the same (or close to it) is also part of the equation, along with it being the same age as me. But I am looking at a Technics 8-track player.
I saw a YouTube video where someone used the Surround Master SQ component with a QX-949A. Sounds like that would help the Pioneer's decoding? Is that right?
Yes

Do you have quad recordings? If don’t have the recordings I’d say build a budget spreadsheet to get the content and the gear.

If you get anything old that has been out of use, expect to have to rep;lace electrolytic capacitors. They age over time from lack of use and either let hum in or explode (and let louder hum in).

Back