Quadraphonic phones - playback on PC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

systemA

Hey folks,

Firstly, I have to admit that I am not well-versed in the world of quadraphonic equipment or (real) sound equipment, so please bare with me.

I found an old pair of quadraphones in the basement (probably from the last generation). It has two 1/4" connectors (Front and Back), and I'd very much like to connect it to my PC equipped with a X-fi soundcard. I'd like to get both pairs of channels properly decoded and outputted to the headphones.

So the questions:
1.) Will this require an external Amp or Pre-amp?
2.) Are there any portable amps that can decode quadraphonic sound?
3.) Can I simply use 1/4"->3.5mm adapters and plug in the FRONT/BACK to the respective outputs on the soundcard?

1) Possibly, depending on the soundcard.
2) no
3) yes; if the sound is very faint you need to get an 4-ch amplifier.

The X-Fi has the 6 channel outputs on the back. However, these are mini-plugs, and quad headphones have the large 1/4" jacks. You'd need to go to Radio Shack (if they still sell this stuff, I haven't been there in years) and get the adapter plugs that convert the large stereo phono plugs to the mini's.

Once you've done that, you *should* be able to plug into the front and rear channel outputs on the back of the X-Fi card to get those 4 channels. Anything that uses the center and LFE channels will obviously not be heard through the headphones.

Like 'winopener' says, if the levels are weak, you may need a headphone amp (or two), but I have a feeling it should be OK.

Once you've done that, you *should* be able to plug into the front and rear channel outputs on the back of the X-Fi card to get those 4 channels. Anything that uses the center and LFE channels will obviously not be heard through the headphones.

That's how I understand the old style Quad phones.

If you need 5.1 or 7.1 playback on headphones, best bet would be to look into some of the new "Virtual Surround" headphone systems like the ones from Smyth Research and Beyer.

Back