Rat Pack DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice review, Stuart. Definately on my list to pick up.

:-jon

JonUrban said:
Nice review, Stuart. Definately on my list to pick up.

:-jon

I'm not a huge Sinatra fan but I can't wait to pick this one up for the Sammy stuff alone. I have the grey market recording of this and I just love it. I can't wait to hear it in surround!!

Guy,

You’re absolutely right about the dates, I should’ve double-checked the ‘Sinatra at the Sands’ disc. In the Rat Pack title, Sinatra talks about the album he’s just recorded with the Count Basie Orchestra, so I just assumed it was the same one. I’ll make the changes. Good eye.

In other news, folks should look out for the new R.E.M. disc, it’s excellent. I’m not really supposed to write a review because one of the mixes has changed between the first sample disc I have and the actual release, but I might do so anyway and skirt around mentioning that track. Oh, and it’s another title with a 192kHz stereo track.

High Fidelity Review said:
Guy,

You’re absolutely right about the dates, I should’ve double-checked the ‘Sinatra at the Sands’ disc. In the Rat Pack title, Sinatra talks about the album he’s just recorded with the Count Basie Orchestra, so I just assumed it was the same one. I’ll make the changes. Good eye.

In other news, folks should look out for the new R.E.M. disc, it’s excellent. I’m not really supposed to write a review because one of the mixes has changed between the first sample disc I have and the actual release, but I might do so anyway and skirt around mentioning that track. Oh, and it’s another title with a 192kHz stereo track.

Is this the "Best Of" title or "Green" or ??????

Stuart,

Have you heard whether these are the same mixes from the ongoing completion of the entire R.E.M. catalog for DVD-A?

Logic dictates that they would reuse the same mixes but since when has logic been practiced by the record industry?

Regards,

High Fidelity Review said:
Guy,

When is this REM dvd-audio disc coming out and what is on it? I've been able to find out nothing about it. I have checked the websites for Tower Records, Amazon, and Dvd Planet. There is a regular dvd coming out for REM " DVD In View - The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 " in your choice of jewel case or crummy old snap case. I may have to mail order this one, since I'll bet only the snap cases show up locally. The track listing on the dvd is sort of questionable. Some good stuff missing, like Shiny Happy People. And then there's stuff on it I've never heard of, and may not want to hear.

narcopolo said:
When is this REM dvd-audio disc coming out and what is on it? I've been able to find out nothing about it. I have checked the websites for Tower Records, Amazon, and Dvd Planet. There is a regular dvd coming out for REM " DVD In View - The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003 " in your choice of jewel case or crummy old snap case. I may have to mail order this one, since I'll bet only the snap cases show up locally. The track listing on the dvd is sort of questionable. Some good stuff missing, like Shiny Happy People. And then there's stuff on it I've never heard of, and may not want to hear.

In Time: The Best Of R.E.M. 1988-2003 DVD-Audio:
Contains 18-song DVD with Stereo, Dolby Surround, DTS Surround audio mixes. DVD includes the video for Bad Day, as well as a multi-angle version of the band rehearsing Bad Day in the studio.

I believe that the DVD-A will have the first 18 songs on this list:
http://www.murmurs.com/rem/themusic/album.php?album_id=18#target1

John,

The mix for at least one track has changed on the second test pressing, and without hearing the new version I can’t definitively answer your question. I have, however, passed it along to Robin Hurley, he should know.

Narcopolo,

Shiny Happy People’ isn’t on the disc, and that’s a disappointment for me since I’d really like to have heard Kate Pierson in high-resolution, but most of the big hits are there. If you don’t recognise a track or two, it’s because there are going to be new singles released from this compilation.

The video is Dolby Digital stereo (why can’t these guys re-mix the supplementary videos in 5.1?) and the multi-angle is fun, one camera on each performer.

Just a quick follow-up; Robin Hurley tells me that: “…the mixes on the best of are the same that appear on existing, or forthcoming REM DVD-A’s. They are not unique to the best of.

Back