Rocksteady: Fun & Aggressive Surround Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
For those who have been looking for some aggressive Surround discs, I'd suggest a listen to the new "Rocksteady" album on Telarc by Monty Alexander with Ernest Ranglin.

It's a new, direct to DSD recording that features these two Reggae music stars from Jamaica. Alexander has recorded some earlier albums on Telarc - his Stereo SACD of Bob Marley tunes is a fine SACD.

But this one is a real kick - reggae treatments of well known tunes like Dave & Ansel Collins' "Double Barrell" and Desmond Dekker's "Israelites" by the two stars of the disc. The Surround mix is not shy at all - primary instruments in all 5 speakers throughout the disc. Ambient surround fans will want to flip over to the SACD Stereo track.

Recommended.

Thx for the info. I'll be looking for this one! Another fine Telarc release I think is the Tribute to Weather Report. Great lineup of musicians and a very good 5.1 mix! I believe it's available in both DVD-A and SACD.
Tim

timw said:
Thx for the info. I'll be looking for this one! Another fine Telarc release I think is the Tribute to Weather Report. Great lineup of musicians and a very good 5.1 mix! I believe it's available in both DVD-A and SACD.
Tim

Right. The Weather Report disc is a good one. Although the arrangements are creative enough that they are not universally appreciated by some Weather Report fans.

I liked the sound quality of Rocksteady, but I think some of Monty's recent work sounds like stuff they play at ice skating rinks. I had high hopes for this one, but too much of an elevator music feel...

Yeah, Monty Alexander is an excellent musician but a little too much on schmaltzy side of track for my tastes. Still, I really enjoyed his collaboration with Sly & Robbie, which also features an aggressive surround mix. It sounds like Rocksteady continues in a similar vein. I'll have to check out!

Cai Campbell said:
Yeah, Monty Alexander is an excellent musician but a little too much on schmaltzy side of track for my tastes. Still, I really enjoyed his collaboration with Sly & Robbie, which also features an aggressive surround mix. It sounds like Rocksteady continues in a similar vein. I'll have to check out!

This is another aggressive Surround Sound mix. No doubt about it. But I think it's very well done - and entertaining. So much so that listening to the new Rocksteady SACD in only Stereo is a bit of a let down !

bmoura said:
For those who have been looking for some aggressive Surround discs, I'd suggest a listen to the new "Rocksteady" album on Telarc by Monty Alexander with Ernest Ranglin.

It's a new, direct to DSD recording that features these two Reggae music stars from Jamaica. Alexander has recorded some earlier albums on Telarc - his Stereo SACD of Bob Marley tunes is a fine SACD.

But this one is a real kick - reggae treatments of well known tunes like Dave & Ansel Collins' "Double Barrell" and Desmond Dekker's "Israelites" by the two stars of the disc. The Surround mix is not shy at all - primary instruments in all 5 speakers throughout the disc. Ambient surround fans will want to flip over to the SACD Stereo track.

Recommended.

I will definitely check this out. There is a great interview with both Monty Alexander and Dennis Ranglin, and they talk about what made them do this album. Within the interview is their version of "Double Barrell", and I liked it. It provides both of them a chance to get into their reggae roots while still being able to share their love of jazz. I wasn't aware that this was available as an SACD, but this is on my want list. Thank you.

johmbolayaSQ said:
I will definitely check this out. There is a great interview with both Monty Alexander and Dennis Ranglin, and they talk about what made them do this album. Within the interview is their version of "Double Barrell", and I liked it. It provides both of them a chance to get into their reggae roots while still being able to share their love of jazz. I wasn't aware that this was available as an SACD, but this is on my want list. Thank you.

It's one of Telarc's original Direct to DSD recordings and it is excellent sonically and a lot of fun. If you enjoy Reggae, you'll like it.

Back