Roy Orbison "Black and White Night" on MC SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm....I have and love the dvd. Great dts mix...one of my favorite, best sounding music dvds...Is it worth buying again to get the sacd/dvd-a that may sound a little better but without the visuals. Tough decision. If I pass, I believe it will be the only Scheiner mix that I wouldn't have.... maybe if I find it on sale. :)

I know what you mean. I have the video with DTS, and it is excellent. I couldn't imagine it being better without the show. The sound quality is already very good. I will probably sit this one out.

The Quadfather

GaryW said:
Hmmm....I have and love the dvd. Great dts mix...one of my favorite, best sounding music dvds...Is it worth buying again to get the sacd/dvd-a that may sound a little better but without the visuals. Tough decision. If I pass, I believe it will be the only Scheiner mix that I wouldn't have.... maybe if I find it on sale. :)

bmoura said:
Yes, Scheiner has been in the studio working on these in recent months. One wonders if the mixes on the SACD will be new, as Scheiner did with Gaucho.

Good point, Brian.

Also, this will be on DVD-A as well.

Good article, Brian. For those not inclined to look, this paragraph stood out to me:

"If it proves successful, I suspect we may see more classic DVD Video Music Concerts reissued in a similar fashion - namely with both the DVD Video and with a High Resolution audio disc in the same box. It could be an interesting development indeed."

JonUrban said:
Good article, Brian. For those not inclined to look, this paragraph stood out to me:

"If it proves successful, I suspect we may see more classic DVD Video Music Concerts reissued in a similar fashion - namely with both the DVD Video and with a High Resolution audio disc in the same box. It could be an interesting development indeed."

Seems to me it's a real possibility. After all, the companies with DVD Music Concerts would love to sell them at a higher price and/or resell them.

So if you get the original engineer to take the existing 5.1 mix and remaster it for SACD and DVD-A plus DVD Video re-release, voila - new product and more revenue!

I have this one on DVD-V. I wouldn't buy it again on SACD because the DTS is fantastic and I also get the video part of the concert. In total seems like a step back to me. Not sure what Scheiner would do with the mix. It is already pretty discrete and as I said is still in the top 10 DVD-V's sound quality wise.

However this might be a prelude to comming up with a hi-rez surround track to add to one of those 2 new hi-def DVD formats coming out. So you will yet have a chance to buy it in hi-def video format with a hi-rez surround track to go with it.

Just a heads-up that Amazon.com has this right now (i.e. DVD/SACD) for 10 bucks! Since I already have the Blu-ray I'm going to keep the SACD (to listen to in the car) and re-gift the DVD.

I just ordered the DVD/SACD package for $9.99 from Amazon and got free shipping too! Can't wait to finally watch/hear this one!

Anyone want to take a stab as to why they're charging a few bucks more for the DVD/DVD-A package? Are there any worthwhile extras on the DVD-A?

Seems to me I have the best of both worlds; DVD and 5.1 SACD at home and the hybrid CD layer for the car.

I just ordered the DVD/SACD package for $9.99 from Amazon and got free shipping too! Can't wait to finally watch/hear this one!

Anyone want to take a stab as to why they're charging a few bucks more for the DVD/DVD-A package? Are there any worthwhile extras on the DVD-A?

Seems to me I have the best of both worlds; DVD and 5.1 SACD at home and the hybrid CD layer for the car.

The $9.99 isn't representative of anything other than the title being sold at a clearance price by Amazon. That price makes no sense from a business perspective, the music companies/retailers can't sell SACD/DVD-V combo sets at that price profitably. Whether or not excess inventory of the DVD-A version remains, meaning it will be liquidated at a similar price, would only be a guess. My guess is it won't happen. The single disc Blu-ray version is a bargain and much preferred in my opinion which drives down the price of the SACD/DVD-V and DVD-A/DVD-V sets.

Chris

The single disc Blu-ray version is a bargain and much preferred in my opinion which drives down the price of the SACD/DVD-V and DVD-A/DVD-V sets.
Chris

Chris,

I agree. The blu-ray is awesome and is the "perfect" version offering the HD video along with the lossless audio. This is still my favourite demo disc for BR audio when people come over.

I swear there must have been almost every format imaginable that this special has been on. Just got back from Goodwill and saw a VHS copy there.

The $9.99 isn't representative of anything other than the title being sold at a clearance price by Amazon. That price makes no sense from a business perspective, the music companies/retailers can't sell SACD/DVD-V combo sets at that price profitably. Whether or not excess inventory of the DVD-A version remains, meaning it will be liquidated at a similar price, would only be a guess. My guess is it won't happen. The single disc Blu-ray version is a bargain and much preferred in my opinion which drives down the price of the SACD/DVD-V and DVD-A/DVD-V sets.

Chris

Chris, I'm not quite sure what the purpose of your response is to mine, but nevertheless, I'm glad to get 50% off the sticker price. The same can be said for the live Eagles 2DVD/1CD package I paid $11.88 for at Wal-Mart a year and half ago. The price may seem ludicrous for such an elaborate package, but it certainly works for us consumers who are on something of a budget, yet have a strong enough desire to be entertained by the best artists in the biz.

For those reading this who haven't yet picked up either the Orbison or Eagles package, go get one!

Dan

Back