SACD In The Car?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Pop Quiz

Since I don't recall ever seeing portable or car SACD players, I'm curious:

1) has anyone added it for kicks utilizing an AC home SACD player powered by some type of invertor

2) copied the SACD discs over to DVD-A or DTS format

3) some other scheme I haven't thought of

This is a legitmate scientific inquiry... :smokin

I've converted some SACD tracks to DVD-A for playing in the car, but you can't convert DVD-A tracks to home made compilation DVD-A's, like trying to make a "Best of Brick" DVD-A, because of the copy protection. It's very good!

As for the players - well, it's too bad Sony did not get Detroit or Toyota/Nissan/Honda or someone to get 5.1 SACD in their cars. To me, a missed opportunity.

JonUrban said:
I've converted some SACD tracks to DVD-A for playing in the car, but you can't convert DVD-A tracks to home made compilation DVD-A's, like trying to make a "Best of Brick" DVD-A, because of the copy protection. It's very good!

As for the players - well, it's too bad Sony did not get Detroit or Toyota/Nissan/Honda or someone to get 5.1 SACD in their cars. To me, a missed opportunity.

Philips announced a planned Car SACD player awhile back with Harman Becker in Germany. Haven't seen anything further on it recently.

JonUrban said:

Tried making 'best of' DTS? DTS CDs play in the Acura, right?

I have this theory... and this is as good a place as any to spill it.

If the major corporate interests decide that the High Definition video format war is going to be lose-lose, will they go back to SACD and DVD-A? Obviously I don't know, but it at least seems possible. Though I personally don't listen to music in the car, most people do and SACD and/or DVD-A car decks would be a great step forward. I know that there are car DVD-A players, but for those of us of more average means there is nothing available. How about putting these decks in Civics and Corollas? Aftermarket units? I am certainly no corporate MBA dude, but these seem like obvious stratagies. Hell, Sony could adsorb the cost of putting SACD players in every new Toyota if they wanted to, think of the market penetration (corporate MBA dude speak :D ). OK, rant over. Whatever, nevermind.

Last edited:
BananaSlug said:
Hell, Sony could adsorb the cost of putting SACD players in every new Toyota if they wanted to, think of the market penetration (corporate MBA dude speak :D ).

From what I hear of Sony's financial status lately, they can't afford to give away millions of dollars of anything.

I would imagine that Sony and Toyota could strike a deal wherein Sony sells the units to Toyota at cost and Toyota gets to advertize that all of their cars (and trucks?) come with a SACD surround system standard. Even if only 25% of car buyers bought a SACD to try it out Sony would then be in the red. I think others have hit on the problem before - namely Sony doesn't care very much about SACD right now. But, that's where my theory comes in. Things change, sometimes even for the better.

Back