Sansui QRX-7001 Matrix Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Hi Everyone!
I lucked out recently and found a QRX7001 for $200 locally. I tried using my current turntable and cartridge combo, Panta Sound RPH-340 with a Mission 773MM cartridge. I thought I was in heaven listening to my matrix LP's and even thought some of the Canadian ABC and Ovation titles pressed by RCA might have been secret quads. I couldn't get stable CD-4 playback, so I bought a JVC 4MD-20X cartridge, NIB from ePay. I set the catridge up for 2 grams, used the elliptical setting on the anti-skating, and aligned it with a protractor from vinylengine.com. Now I have almost flawless CD-4 and can be annoyed simply by dust pops on my vinyl. However, now I seem to have lost all separation when playing SQ or QS titles. I put a tape in my Technics RS-858-US(garage sale find for $75) and used the record meters to verify what my ears were telling me. I don't get the swirling from Money on DSOTM, or the haunting effects from Moonshot(Buffy St. Marie). In fact, the only separation I get is from the sonic differences in my front and rear speaker pairs. The fronts are Mission 700's, first style, and the rears are 700's from about 15 years later, probably something cheap from Future Shop. Does anyone have ideas or solutions? Did I get separation before because the cartridge was not set up right? I have to assume the cartridge was factory installed, or by some salesman who sold it in the original package stereo it came from.
Thanks,
Matthew

Back