Sansui QRX x500 Series vs QRX x001 Series

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

relford

Hi to ALL,

I'm new to the Forum and am in the process of putting together a Quad system.

I just (yesterday) purchased a QRX 7001 in MINT condition on CL ($100.00). It's one beautiful piece of equipment with no flaws that I can find.

Since this is my first Quad receiver and since, as I understand from reading other posts Sansui ia arguably the best manufacturer of Quad equipment, I was wondering if I'll be happy with the unit that I purchased or if the QRX x500 series would be a better choice.

Can anybody out there give me advice on which feature advantages each series has over the other??

I've done some research but would like some "expert" opinions from other forum members.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

You have a very nice receiver, and you got it for a very good price. I have owned a QRX-7001 for many years. It replaced a QRX-6500. The x001 receivers have the latest and best Variomatrix decoder, and this gives the best performance when synthing quad from stereo sources. All of the x001 units have CD-4 demodulators, something the 6500 did not have. Welcome to QQ, and enjoy!

Thanks Quadzilla,

I'm listening to Supertramp on it right now in stereo through a pair of 4312s using my iPod Touch, I didn't know how good the iPod could sound. It truly is amazing how deep and enjoyable the sound comes through, maybe I'll keep it.

Sounds almost as good as my 9090db although it has a little less power.

Any recommendations on a good turntable/cartridge/stylus to match up with it?? I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a Pioneer PL-530 for stereo use with my 9090db.

Ideally, you should get a mid-70s turntable for the low-capacitance wiring required by the CD-4 standard, but I've found that any good turntable will work. The PL-530 should do just fine in that regard. What cartridge are you planning to use? You'll need one with a line-contact stylus and frequency response beyond 35kHz. Many folks here use the Audio-Technica AT-440ML and MLa cartridges with good results. Or you can try to get a vintage CD-4 cartridge off of eBay, but be prepared to pay a pretty big price for a "mint" example. I have also used a Grado Prestige Blue cartridge for CD-4 with pretty good results. Currently, I'm running a vintage Audio Technica AT-14Sa cartridge on my Technics SL-1200MK2 (with the Cardas rewire available from KAB USA) with outstanding results.

quadjoe,

Thanks for the reply!!

I recently purchased a JVC 4MD-20X cartridge with stylus based on recommendations I received from other posts on the forum.

I have two choices currently available for a turntable, the PL-530 (which I haven't quite finished yet) or a Technics SL-1350 that currently has a Shure v15 III cartridge installed for my stereo playback.

I also have a chance to pick up a PL-560 Pioneer for cheap if that's a better choice.

relford,

You're welcome! The JVC cartridge is great, I have one also, that was NOS, but I had to replace the stylus as the rubber in the cantilever suspension was in poor condition because of age. (Under a microscope the stylus actually looks to be a gem-quality diamond!) For the turntable, I'd go with the Technics over either Pioneer. Not that the Pioneers are bad, it's just that IMO, the Technics is better and more reliable. (I had really bad luck with Pioneer DD turntables.)

quadjoe,

Thanks again!! I see you're in PC, my favorite vacation spot.

I'll try the Technics first and put the Pioneer on the back burner!!

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how things work out with the CD-4. Do you have an adjustment record? You can make the adjustments without one, but it is easier with. I have a Sansui QRX-6001 that I had professionally restored, and I really enjoy listening to it. I think that the only difference between the 6001 and the 7001 is that the 7001 had remote control (wired) capability.

I see you're in Atlanta, I have fun whenever I visit there. I don't care much for the traffic, but there is lots to do.

I've been looking for a test/adjustment record, do you have a recommendation as to which one would be best for a CD-4 setup??

They're pretty much the same, in my opinion. I have the Fisher test record, which came with my first CD-4 demodulator, the disc that came with my Sansui, and I just recently purchased a JVC-4DD5 demodulator that was NIB, and it also came with a record. There is an Elektra record on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADJUSTMENT-...5394301?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3ccb18227d

I'm not sure how much it'll go for, but you might be able to pick it up for around $25 is my guess. When you get your disc, I can tell you how to set it up.

Back