Six Elton John SA-CDs in One Day!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrindenver

I got the Eltons from my friendly retailer Saturday. I can tell you they are worth the wait.

Even my wife, who thinks the whole multichannel thing is extreme overkill, loved these releases, smiling at the beauty of the surround information. I have always thought "Tumbleweed Connection" to the among the best, and best recorded, LPs/CDs in my collection, but the multichannel takes it to a new level.

And the others are just as good.

This is why we spend the money on expensive electronics and hi-end speakers, my firends.

Now, on to the Claptons!

Ok a big FU to Best Buy!!! I was in the store for a half hour and got the "I guess they did not come out yet". Then 5 miles away Sam Goode had all 5 Elton titles and the 3 Clapton (Did not buy 461 DTS CD!).

Hey, bonus tracks on EJ,Tumblewwed,Honky & Capt.F...

Mixes are cool so far I noticed some different guitar tracks on EJ & a different lead vocal on Philadelphia Freedom (bonus track).

Too Much SACD not enough time. Need these on DVD-A so I can hear them in my TL!!! :banana:

I looked at Madman & Tumble Weed last night at Media Play. Tumbleweed has Madman across the Water ( original version ) as an extra. How does it differ from the title track on the Madman disk? Which is version is better in your opinion?

barry

Hopefully this is the last time I will buy an old Elton album. I swear I've had Honky Chateau on 8 Track, LP, CD, the remastered CD and now the SACD. Being a big Elton fan, and after hearing the masterful surround mix by Mr. Penny, buying all of the SACD's yesterday was an easy sell for me.

What I really like about the SACD's is that it is like visiting an old friend, though you are familiar; there are new things to discover. I enjoy being able to pick out the guitar, bass, piano, vocals and so on, and being able to really concentrate on what they are playing since they are more discreet, and separated in the sound-field. There are times that I notice instruments that I never did before. I never noticed the horns in Rock and Roll Madonna, I had to go back and play the remastered CD to see if they were added on the SACD; they weren't added but weren't as apparent as now.

Now I'm waiting to sit down with the master and remix the album the way I want. When do you think they'll come out with that?

jrahrah said:
....Now I'm waiting to sit down with the master and remix the album the way I want. When do you think they'll come out with that?
Funny you should say that!
I just finished mixing the soon to be released Aerosmith "You Gotta Move" Live DVD.
It also contains a bonus CD with 6 or so of the songs from the DVD.
The title song of the DVD ("You Gotta Move"), was not performed in concert.
So they decided to include on it the studio version in multitrack form!
The multitrack are stems created from the original multis
It is playable on PCs only, (No Mac).
The program is called UMixit and when you put the CD in a PC you can install
the program and then mix the song yourself. I'm not sure if you get 8 or 16 tracks. (I made 2 versions).
While not quite the same as having the original multi, it is fun to play with.
Check it out.
PS-The DVD should be pretty good too. I have not seen the final edit, but the concert itself was fun to mix.
Very raw R&R not overly polished or overdubbed (almost none!).
It's very live, as opposed to the pseudo-live, all redone in the studio kind of things out there.
We purposely spent very little time mixing in the studio to keep it that way!

Back