Sneak peak: 1st consumer one-box DAC for multichannel computer audio....to DSD256!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted_b

600 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
As many of you know I have been more than dabbling in computer audio multichannel, especially DSD. I wrote the SACD Ripping Guide for Dummies, have over 1100 of my SACDs (and all my DVDA's) ripped to disc (DSF files for DSD) and wrote a review/primer on a prototype stack of three (3) Mytek stereo-192-DSD DACs and a USB hub doing native DSD 5.1. But of course that solution is a bit kludgy (although wonderful sounding) and requires lots of cables, etc to simply put the thing together.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-DSD-playback-solution-with-Mytek-and-J-RIver!

And it has had no hits for two months, barely got any when I wrote it, and is generally not exciting to this what-I-thought-was-progressive-quad-surround bunch. So.....I will post this sneak peak at the latest iteration of multichannel computer audio. But I will simply say that I will write the full review for ComputerAudiophile dot com, so come over there in a couple weeks if interested at all in this stuff.

The pics are an indicator of this wonderful DAC that I am privileged to be the first to review. It is an 8 channel USB DAC with ASIO drivers, and can play back anything up to 8 channels of 24/384K PCM and DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256....in both standard 44k integer multiples (scarletbook DSD spec) as well as take things like foobar's DSD upsampler for 48K material (24/48, 24/96, etc) and play back up to 12.288Mhz DSD256. The prototype is RCA outputs only, it has a remote for volume control (if going direct) and input selction (USB, coax, toslink).

Note: the 12.288 DSD file is actually a 2 channel one as my test pc for this review is my Atom-based client CAPS server, opposed to my other i7-based Asus Zuma powerhouse) and can't quite handle that ridiculous (theoretical, as no software available yet) 8 channel bandwidth. It shows 8 channel as that is the driver I am using. The next firmware update will show actual channels in use. The other pic is realtime music playing in 5.1.

e28 dsd256 48k.jpge28 dsd64 8ch.jpg

I have been playing multichannel DSD and PCM (from ripped SACDs and DVD-A's, and a few downloads) all week. JRiver does a great job of handling mutlichannel playback, and my jremote ipad app is all I need to browse the library. JRiver even has a DSP function where I added 10db for the PCM LFE level (the DSD LFE was fine, and the DSP function does not run in DSD anyway...so no need to turn on and off). Channel trims can be done in the ASIO driver console or via your analog multichannel preamp. The only sticking point is channel delays, should your speaker distances not be ITU spec'd. This would require a DSP function in Jriver that would not be in effect for DSD playback (or a user selection to downconvert DSD to PCM...yuck). Luckily in my case I have an ITU equidistant setup.

Stay tuned. I hope this is of some interest here, as hi-end DSD (and PCM) multichannel computer playback is AMAZING!

Do channel delays occur even if speaker wires are all the same length?

Do channel delays occur even if speaker wires are all the same length?
Channel delays are necessary when speakers are at different distances from the listening position. For example, if the rear speakers are closer than the Fronts then a delay must be applied to the rears so that the sound from all speakers arrives at the listening position at the same time.

Any thoughts on how it compares sonically to the 3 Stereo Mytek DSD DACs you were using before?
The price is very attractive for an 8 Channel DSD DAC that supports DSD 64, DSD 128 and DSD 256.

BMoura, As I state in the review:
" This evaluation is not intended to be a comparative one (there was too much time in between hearing the E28 and the Mytek stack to say anything other than that the sonic differences via short-term memory aren’t worth writing about)". To elaborate, the Mytek may be a smidge more bass-heavy, and the exaSound a smidge more detailed, but without a/b'ing (which is tough cuz the Mytek setup takes some doing) it is, as I said, not really a discussion point. One aspect of the Mytek stack is that one could evolve to it, after owning one, then two Mytek DACs.

BMoura, As I state in the review:
" This evaluation is not intended to be a comparative one (there was too much time in between hearing the E28 and the Mytek stack to say anything other than that the sonic differences via short-term memory aren’t worth writing about)". To elaborate, the Mytek may be a smidge more bass-heavy, and the exaSound a smidge more detailed, but without a/b'ing (which is tough cuz the Mytek setup takes some doing) it is, as I said, not really a discussion point. One aspect of the Mytek stack is that one could evolve to it, after owning one, then two Mytek DACs.

I'm curious if Mytek has announced anything yet about an all-in-one DAC for Surround DSD playback to compete with the exaSound. Mytek has been well received in 2 Channel DSD file playback - I assume they wouldn't want to miss the boat in the Surround DSD file market... !

I am an alpha tester for Michal and his team at Mytek. They have no announcement currently. Doesn;t mean they aren't working on some things. Michal and I talk all the time. I'm waiting for a more no-holds-barred 2 channel box from them, too.

I am an alpha tester for Michal and his team at Mytek. They have no announcement currently. Doesn;t mean they aren't working on some things. Michal and I talk all the time. I'm waiting for a more no-holds-barred 2 channel box from them, too.

Excellent. Yes, I would hope that Mytek - and some of the other DSD DAC makers - would get into the Surround DSD converter market. It will be nice to have more choices!

Back