Sony DVP-CX995V DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonster

Still waiting for the release of the new Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disc DVD changer. It was supposed to be released in the 1st quarter of '05, then they moved it back to May and then June and here we are in July and no players in sight. :confused:
Anyone in the industry heard any more on the release?
Lonny

lonster said:
Still waiting for the release of the new Sony DVP-CX995V 400 disc DVD changer. It was supposed to be released in the 1st quarter of '05, then they moved it back to May and then June and here we are in July and no players in sight. :confused:
Anyone in the industry heard any more on the release?
Lonny

I bought one a few weeks ago for my system in downtown Chicago. It is great! Only disappointment is it does not read DVD-As. Dang that Sony:confused: ! So I have slots 250-400 reserved for my SACDs. The other slots I'm still inserting DVDs in.

I could easily use two of these units. Will I buy another one? Who knows.

Ed

Last edited:
I'm glad you like it.
I have had mine for a few months and I too like it.
The price point was good (under $350) and the unit does everything it's supposed to. I agree that if it played DVD-A it would be THE juke box to have, but it plays DVD's perfect and everything else I've thrown at it.
I mostly use it for storing and playing movies, but since it holds 400 discs, I have started storing my SACD's in there too.
It's amazing how much shelf space you can free up by storing 400 discs in a player like this :D

Lonny
Vintage Audio and Vintage Bikes, both SOUND great!
QpS

lonster said:
It's amazing how much shelf space you can free up by storing 400 discs in a player like this :D

YES! Last time I was home in San Diego I brought all of my SACDs and some DVDs to my "work home" in Chicago. I think this will allow me to watch DVDs (and listen :phones to SACDs) that I haven't to in a long time because they were safely tucked away in their jewel cases. The SACDs catalog automatically very nicely through the "slow" load function (best to start this before going to bed!:rolleyes: ). Some of the DVDs do catalog with its information, less than 5 percent so far, but if I connect a spare wireless Logitech keyboard to it, I can catalog those DVDs manually fairly easily. I don't know how the Disc Explorer on predecessor Sony Mega DVD/SACD/CD players are, but I read somewhere that the Disc Explorer was vastly improved in this model. It allows you to view thumbnail pictures in the Disc Explorer that are contained on "some" DVDs or capture a picture of your choosing when you watch a DVD. Only disappointment with this is that the thumbnail is so small that it is hard to determine what it is unless you are close to the screen.

I go home to San Diego tomorrow night and will bring more DVDs to Chicago this Sunday to fill the remaining empty slots. And then I plan to watch movies I haven't seen in ages to occupy those future lonely and very cold (I'm told) nights and weekends when I wish I were back in San Diego!

Ed

Last edited:
The fix for the 'small thumbnails' is to get a bigger TV. On my 62" wide screen they are big enough to easily see and identify. ;)

Lonny
Vintage Audio and Vintage Bikes, both SOUND great!
QpS

Back