Sony DVP-NC685v 5disc sacd player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petermwilson

Hi Guy and Gals,
I haven't posted here in a while but (even though I know it's automatic) thanks for the birthday wishes back in Oct.

For those of you who don't get the newsletter from HighFidelity Review, there was a notation that "GoodGuys" in the US have put the subject mltidisc player on sale for $99.94, down from $199.00, for those also interested in the video side it does 480p.

I don't think they have any outlets in Canada, and being in Toronto if we have any here their well hidden.

I got a discontinued Sony DVP-NC650V 5 discr, (summer 2003) which is interlaced only but I use a different player for video.

Anyway, if you haven't invested in SACD yet and if the audio specs are similar, (their probably better by now) to the 650, I'm quite happy even though its not Audiophile quality, if you have good speakers, this is an inexpensive way to get your feet wet.

Just out of curiosity are GoodGuys a chain like BB, because I don't see them mentioned that often?

Peter m.

It's not on their web site. I'll have to go tomorrow. At that price I may pick that up. Does it support DVD-Audio?

Hi
Although many manufacturers have started making combi units and even though from a business perspective Sony would benefit from doing the same,
I'm going to guess a couple of things.

First since Sony and Philips invented SACD, they barely acknowledge that DVD-A exits exept in disparaging terms.
Second, I'm not sure if DVD-A is open source or (if they wanted to do so) would have to buy a licence to include it which could very possibly be NO.

The short answer to your question is also NO. You'd think they had learned from the Betamax debacle.

Peter m.

That makes sense. Just like how Apple Computer invented Firewire so they own rights to the name. That is why most vendors call it IEEE1394. To call it Firewire they would have to pay a fee to Apple.

I have one of these and I love it! When I work around the house I put 5 SACDs on and enjoy the day. It works flawlessly with CDs, SACDs and DVDs on my a high-end system. Wish I would have bought it at this price!

Ed

Back