Sony SQ-1000 decoder hook up question.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satcom123

Hello all. I have some quad albums that are SQ encoded. I have a Sony SQ-1000 but have no operators manual. I tried hooking it up to my system in several different ways but hear no difference in sound. I am running it through a 2 channel system but I should hear some difference in sound by the decoding I would think.

Does anyone have a how to manual for this unit? The internet does not show any. I would greatly appreciate some help.

Most old school SQ decoders are only good as doorstops, the SQD-1000 is no exception. Memory could be failing me but I believe that is one of the first commercially available SQ decoders and only has about 3db seperation front to back and no logic circuitry whatsoever.

Most old school SQ decoders are only good as doorstops, the SQD-1000 is no exception. Memory could be failing me but I believe that is one of the first commercially available SQ decoders and only has about 3db seperation front to back and no logic circuitry whatsoever.

I'll second that. Pretty much the same info I've heard about this device. So it is entirely possible that it just still sounds like the stereo mix. Cause all the the sound is still going to be pretty promonent in the fronts anyway. People that have these claim that it helps to increase the volume in the rears.

I would assume that just makes the sound unbalanced and fools your brain into thinking there is more going on than there really is.

Yes, this is a useless decoder. I was able to trade mine in at the store I bought it at for a SQD-2020, which of course I still wasn't happy with. Should have just stayed away from quad vinyl altogether. It was a short-lived experiment for me.

Cupboy...It's not the decoder (SQD-2020)...It's the record manufacturer (CBS Columbia) caving in to the 2 channel bunch. SQ material that is encoded strictly for SQ only is a discrete format.

If you doubt this...Listen to the quadraphonic test record #SQT-1100 CBS Laboratories...

Back